Scientists Probe the Use of the Tongue

Started by TehBorken, Apr 24 06 02:21

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Let the jokes begin.....

Yahoo! News is reporting that in the military's continuing search for better sensory input they have started looking at the [a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060424/ap_on_sc/tongue_sight;_ylt=AoUGLCo0DhHzr2W37fpZNDOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MzV0MTdmBHNlYwM3NTM"]tongue as a 'superior transmitter'[/a].

From the article: 'A narrow strip of red plastic connects the Brain Port to the tongue where 144 microelectrodes transmit information through nerve fibers to the brain. Instead of holding and looking at compasses and bluky-hand-held sonar devices, the divers can processes the information through their tongues, said Dr. Anil Raj, the project's lead scientist.'  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

The tongue is a magnificient muscle. All I know about the tongue is when you pierce it, it heals really, really fast. We don't like to see metal tongue bars on our patients because they tend to break and chip teeth if you're not careful.

Also the tongue is a bed of bacteria. Plaque collects on it like nobody's business so remember to wash your tongue as often as you brush your teeth. Just use the tip of your toothbrush to brush off the plaque.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

That's what we recommend to patients too. Either use Listerine or Oral B WITH FLUORIDE. We're pro-fluoride users. The anti-bacterial agent works too but we're more concern with fluoride content.

BTW, unlike the commerical, Listerine DOES NOT replace flossing.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

So I should get something with Flouride? What products use this? And I know the problem for me is that on my bottom row of teet I have a permant retainer/wire that makes flossing the bottom hard.

Lise

Fluoride is more for the protection of your teeth against cavities. It doesn't remove any plaque which is why you brush and floss in the first place before the fluoride rinse.

For wires, consider using a floss threader like this.

Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Here in lies the difference between DV and DS.  Who would have thunk that a topic about scientists' probing tongues would have inspired  responses on oral hygene.....LOL
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kingy

i heard alcoholics drink listerine because it contains alcohol.

Sportsdude

Thats why I can't sleep at night. I'm tired until I bring out the mouth wash and then I suddenly am awake.