Hello Kitten

Started by Gopher, Apr 24 06 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic
|

kitten

So you actually had a day off today?  Fabulous!
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

In fact I had two days (Friday and Saturday), however back again today and trying to keep cool and actually get down to doing some work (not an easy combination): tonight I MUST start doing some watering again, everywhere seems to be burning up - me, not least of all.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

I gave the garden a heavy soak last night so they should be good until tomorrow.  I find every second day seems to work well except for the petunias, which are very greedy little flowers.  They'll get watered in the morning.

Gopher

Another scorcher here, looks as though I'll be watering the lawn again tonight - and probably cutting it beforehand.

How's your day off going? Still hitting the vodka?

kitten

Right now it's quite comfortable here, although I don't know how hot it will be later.  As for the vodka, it's more of a once in a long while type of thing.  But it was delicious.  I finished my book before going to work last evening, and now I'm halfway through another.  This one is about genetic altering to create loyal slaves for the elite masters.  It's interesting, in a horrid way.  I'm glad that it is only fiction.  I should be getting the hose out while the garden is still in shade.  I always water at the roots to avoid burning the plants, but I wouldn't want to water in direct sunlight.

I vastly prefer heat to cold, but where you are, it sounds rather extreme.  I hope it doesn't get too unbearable for you.

Gopher

It's not usually extreme at all, the current weather is an exception to the rule. Strange thing is that as I've grown older I find that I can tolerate the cold far more than the heat (I always assumed it would be otherwise). A temperature of 70 throughout last night was exhausting to say the least: I assume I slept.

How many books do you usually read per week?

kitten

Gopher wrote:
 It's not usually extreme at all, the current weather is an exception to the rule. Strange thing is that as I've grown older I find that I can tolerate the cold far more than the heat (I always assumed it would be otherwise). A temperature of 70 throughout last night was exhausting to say the least: I assume I slept.

How many books do you usually read per week?[/DIV]
 I can handle up to about 80 without too much discomfort during the day, but at night I have a fan turned on by my bed to keep the temperature comfortable.  On the other hand, when it drops to around 40 my extremities start to freeze and I feel miserable.  I've always suspected there is more than a trace of reptile in my blood....other people don't seem to react like that.

My book reading depends on whatever time I have available, as well as the size of the books.  Generally I'll read 4 or 5 a week, but sometimes more.  I had to take two days to read one book the other day as it was over 800 pages.  

Reading was my escape as a child and I've continued to love reading all my life.

Sportsdude

Currently in downtown St. Louis its 94 degrees with 38% humidity so its not too too bad. Could be worse.

We are expecting rain but I doubt it considering the humidity is on 38%. They say its going to be 85 tomorrow.

Heat index is 100-105

Heat index means what it actually feels like outside. If the humidity was higher the heat index would be through the roof.  Sometimes heat indexs get to 110 to 120 here. Deadly.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Read back the last message> Immediately after my asking you how many books you  read each week you replied "Normally I can handle about 80" (or words to that effect). I marvelled at this for a while, even to as far as conjecturing how many arms and pairs of eyes you might have; however  I later realised you were referring to the temperature.

Back to books, I too have read intensely since a child - nowadays 2-3 per week. But while I was on holdiay a few weeks ago I managed 8. One my greatest joys in life, I reckon (another is my correspondence).    

Gopher

Sportsdude wrote:
 Currently in downtown St. Louis its 94 degrees with 38% humidity so its not too too bad. Could be worse.

We are expecting rain but I doubt it considering the humidity is on 38%. They say its going to be 85 tomorrow.[/DIV]

Is this normal  for you every year?

kitten

That would be unpleasant to me, Sportdude.  When I was younger I lived for a while in Montreal where the temperature would get up to 98 or 100 in the summer but it didn't bother me.  I guess the ability to tolerate extreme temperatures decreases with age.  

Sportsdude

The heat? Yes. Can I stand it? No.

When I go outside I immediately start to sweat in my moutache area. I get a sweat moustache. Clothes get really dirty.  My body doesn't take sweat easily.  Never could take the heat. Love the cold. Most likely went to Florida for the last time last year because grandma thinks she's dying and can't cook for the kids anymore just wants adults to help clean. Well when I was at florida I about baked and it wasn't as hot as it is here usually.

If you want to know it is like to live in the midwest turn your oven on to 450 degrees (232) and open the oven and feel the heat. Thats what you have to deal with down here. When the sun is up you don't go outside. So if you want to go outside the best times are between 4am and 7am and 7pm to 10pm.  

kitten

I got a chuckle out of your last message, Gopher.  I forgot to erase the quote before posting, and it did look confusing.

When I had a job with regular holidays, I often would read eight or nine books a week, but since I started this job I have no extended holiday apart from my "weekends".  Shift work cuts into my reading time, and I hate to put a book down before it is finished.  

Gopher

Sportsdude wrote:
 The heat? Yes. Can I stand it? No.

So if you want to go outside the best times are between 4am and 7am and 7pm to 10pm

Are the streets full of people between 7pm and 10pm - and do your shops open at times which attract customers who prefer to do their shopping in acceptable temperatures?

Sportsdude

Montreal I believe would feel a little cooler since the St. Lawerance is surrounding it. that river is wide. The wider the cooler plus that river flows from the north so the river is colder. Wind picks it up, wind becomes cool, air feels colder then it is.  Saint Louis the mississippi and missouri don't have that luxury and the river isn't as wide.  I could live in Montreal. When it gets cold it gets cold.

If your prone to the flu or colds this is not the place to live. One day it will be 100 and the next it will be in the 60's.  During the winter I've seen temperatures go from 70 to 25 in a day before. Lots of people get really sick, but I never have for some reason.  Weather here can't seem to make up its mind.    

|