Its Offical Fox News anchor is the next White House Press Secretary

Started by Sportsdude, Apr 25 06 06:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Bush names Tony Snow press secretary [!-- END HEADLINE --] [DIV id=ynmain][!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --] [DIV id=storybody] [DIV class=storyhdr] [SPAN]By Steve Holland[/SPAN][EM class=recenttimedate] 43 minutes ago[/i]

[DIV class=spacer][/DIV]

President George W. Bush named Fox News Radio host Tony Snow as White House press secretary on Wednesday in his latest move to shake up his staff and breathe new life into his presidency.

Snow, 50, is the first Washington pundit to become White House press secretary. In his role as a conservative commentator he has sometimes criticized the president, a point Bush could not resist mentioning in introducing Snow as the replacement for long-time loyalist Scott McClellan.

"He's not afraid to express his own opinions," Bush said with a smile. "He sometimes has disagreed with me, I asked him about those comments and he said, 'You should have heard what I said about the other guy."'

A cancer survivor, Snow is the first journalist to go directly from the media industry to the top spokesman role since Ron Nessen during Gerald Ford's presidency in the 1970s.

He inherits one of the toughest jobs in Washington: Trying to manage the flow of White House information in an era of 24-hour news cycles, and put a fresh face on a White House struggling to fight back from a job approval rating that dropped to 32 percent this week in a CNN poll.

Snow, who starts his job in early May, worked as a speech writer for Bush's father when he was president and has a lengthy resume in print, radio and television journalism.

"One of the reasons I took the job is not only because I believe in the president, because believe it or not I want to work with you," Snow told reporters.

In his role as pundit, Snow has sometimes found fault with Bush's policies, particularly on government spending and even the president's sometimes tortured grammar.

Democrats gleefully circulated by e-mail a sampling of Snow's commentary about Bush in recent years, such as a November 11, 2005, column after Democratic electoral gains in which he wrote that ... "George Bush has become something of an embarrassment."

INSIDER ROLE?

Bush said he liked the perspective Snow brings to the job and a senior White House official said that like McClellan, Snow will have a seat at the table and "was assured that he will be free to participate in policy development and strategic decisions."

Analysts said it was possible that Snow could make the White House more friendly for reporters but that the key will be whether Snow has the insider role he was said to have wanted as a condition for taking the job.

Reporters most of all want a press secretary who is considered a presidential confidant, such as Jody Powell was for Jimmy Carter, and doing that would require a major attitude adjustment by Bush himself, said Stephen Hess, a presidential scholar and professor at George Washington University.

"There's no way he can be in the inner, inner circle," said Hess. "He hasn't paid his dues enough for that. He can sit at the table, he can even say things, but he understands that."

Joe Lockhart, a press secretary for Democratic President Bill Clinton, said Bush does not have a messenger problem, he has a message problem, and that Snow faces the challenge of changing the culture of a White House "that prizes secrecy and frowns upon leveling with the American people."

"That culture is dictated by the president and the vice president, and bringing in someone however talented they are -- and Tony is certainly talented -- won't solve the problem," Lockhart said.

Bush's first press secretary, Ari Fleischer, said Snow and other staff changes offer the chance to show Americans that "something new may come from the White House" and that Bush deserves a second look.

[img height=345 alt=Photo src="http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/nm/20060426/2006_04_26t123407_320x450_us_bush_media.jpg?x=245&y=345&sig=JbZqNUQg.rxNP_JCC7Tf_g--" width=245 border=0]

[/DIV]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

It will take a lot more than a personnel shuffle to boost that idiot's ratings.  
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

Yeah now its down to 32% (still nowhere near Mulroney)

But the bigger story is that a fox news anchor is going to become the press secretary. If this doesn't truely make Fox News the government channel/GOP channel I don't know what does.

Sportsdude

So I guess Fox News is the government news channel now and Snow will leak info to fox news.

tenkani

Does it really matter who's press secretary?

I mean, they don't tend to answer questions anyway.

They stand up and read a prepared statement.

When questions are asked, they plug in different prepared statements that generally in no way address the question that was raised. It's like talking to a really bad artificial intelligence simulator.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

But if the media wants to they can break them. The Press Secretary is the public voice of the president.  He or she is the presidents loud speaker. And if you were able to 'break' them or make them say something they shouldn't....  Not saying this will happen to Snow but if you know the 'truth' and you continue to say lies it will catch up to you and you will slip.