That Crazy Popester- what a card!

Started by TehBorken, Apr 26 10 06:16

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

At a conference on digital media at the Vatican, Pope Benedict XVI [a href="http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/04/margaret-warner-pope-describes-dangers-of-new-digital-age.html"]attacked  the idea of transparency in the Internet age,[/a] warning that digital transparency exacerbates tensions between nations and within nations themselves. And increases the "dangers of... intellectual and moral relativism," which can lead to "multiple forms of degradation and humiliation" of the essence of a person, and to the "pollution of the spirit."
 Perhaps more to the point, cover-ups are much harder to perpetrate when a single leak can plaster all your dirty laundry all over the net. Gee, I can't imagine why the pope would object to that... Nope, can't think of a single reason. *cough*[/p]Multiple forms of degradation? Like, I dunno, letting priests get away with raping and molesting children for centuries, and actively covering it up? Or does he mean subjugating women, making them 2nd Class citizens, and claiming it's god's will?
[/p]Polluting the spirit? Ummm, you mean like labeling everyone a "sinner" at birth, and trying to get them to live in fear of eternal damnation? Cuz that would sure pollute my spirit if I believed in that horseshit.
[/p] (By the way, "morals" are inherently relative to personal values and situational details. Anytime someone warns about moral relativism, it's because they want you to follow their values and sense of right and wrong, instead of your own)    
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

DDD

[P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal]I am an atheist ....... As for the Pope just one more reason that I do not believe.

[P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal]

[P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal][img border=0 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Angry/7.gif"]                               [img border=0 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Angry/6.gif"]                                                    [img border=0 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/cliparts/Angel_Evil/5.gif"]

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

TehBorken

[a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/28/AR2010042801618_pf.html"]Pope Benedict XVI may issue a mea culpa for clerical sex abuse[/a] at a  June meeting of the world's priests at the Vatican. Cardinal William Levada, head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of  the Faith, told U.S. public broadcaster PBS on Tuesday that he "wouldn't  be surprised" if the pontiff issues a mea culpa at the meeting. [/p][hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
Yeah, that'll make it all better. Just say "My bad!" in response to hundreds of years of child rape, molestation, coverups, and blaming the victims. Problem solved!

Orik

I  do not know what to say, except do not let a few bad men destroy your faith.. if you believe, keep believing.. no matter where or what you do there is always going to be bad stuff going on and there will always be those who try to keep it quiet...

I am not saying it is right, but in a sad way I understand the desire to hide what has happened.. Look at the Sea Cadet core at HMCS Discovery... lots of cadets were sexually molested over many years but it to was covered up for many years,

this went on and on, till some brave cadets finally brought the truth forward. there are still cadets that have never gone forward or spoken out about the abuse that they suffered or the things they saw that occurred... Bravo to the few brave souls that stood up and said enough is enough.. It was not the church covering it up this time, but the DND department of national defense and thats part of the Canadian government... shit happens...

the sad truth is this, those with the strings will try to protect themselves by pulling them or blackmailing others... Those with money will pay off to keep other silent.. this has gone on for generations in all walks of life it is not just the church that has done this...

What makes this so bad is that we the people expect the priests and the church to be above sexual desires of the flesh, The church is expected to be better than the rest of people.. but priests are human and susceptible to the exact same problems the rest of the planet has... sexual deviancy is found in all places not just the church...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

TehBorken

Orik wrote:
I  do not know what to say, except do not let a few bad men destroy your faith.. if you believe, keep believing..

I do not believe, not at all. I do not believe [span property="dcterms:abstract"] that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was  his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his  flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he  can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity  because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a  magical tree.[/span]

Nobody, and I mean nobody in their right mind would believe this crazy-ass bullshit if they hadn't been programmed to do so from birth by their parents or other authority figure.

I am not saying it is right, but in a sad way I understand the desire to hide what has happened.

Of course they wanted to hide what they did. They were raping and molesting children; what child molester wouldn't want to hide that?

What makes this so bad is that we the people expect the priests and the church to be above sexual desires of the flesh,

I don't. Why in the world would anyone in their right mind hold such a belief? Why should I expect people who openly believe in this crazy fairy tale nonsense to be better than normal human beings?

but priests are human and susceptible to the exact same problems the rest of the planet has...

Since they're supposed to be celibate and have no personal knowledge of sex or marriage, how is it that they've been appointed to counsel people on these very same subjects?? It's like going to the bakery and asking for competent, in-depth medical advice on treatment for your heart condition. It's insane. Shit, I'm married and have a child and I don't know what to tell someone who's having marital trouble.

Seriously, the whole bloody thing is ridiculous. Believe in yourself or in science, but don't base your life on a feckin' fairy tale. That's crazy.

P.C.

I'm on board with all that.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

DDD

Seriously, the whole bloody thing is ridiculous. Believe in yourself or in science, but don't base your life on a feckin' fairy tale. That's [SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]crazy[/SPAN].

YUPPERS

Little Fish

DDD

Little Fish wrote:
to each there own.  
     True but some of there own is just F*ck up

Little Fish

I meant to each there own, the choice of faith is personal, to believe in God and to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ or not. Of late I am interested in the beliefs of Buddhism.  

P.C.

I believe in Nature.  I can see it, I can smell it, I can taste it.  It is constant and it is powerful.  It covers all, from life to death to rebirth, and everything in between.  It affects us all and unifies us.  Nobody is exempt from it power.  It can be kind and it can be harsh and does more to teach us how to live on this planet than we can imagine.  

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
I believe in Nature.  I can see it, I can smell it, I can taste it.  It is constant and it is powerful.  It covers all, from life to death to rebirth, and everything in between.

Yup, I like Nature. But I like science too. Why? Cuz it works.

DDD

I just love that green top............... ;)

P.C.

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]Yup, I like Nature. But I like science too. Why? Cuz it works.[/span]

But science is nature.  That's why it works.