George W. Bush A Music Pirate?

Started by TehBorken, Apr 17 06 09:55

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]GW Bush's iPod contains "illegal" (according to RIAA) music         [/h3] In the video linked below, we see that President Bush's iPod contains songs by the Beatles; since no Beatles songs have been licensed for the iTunes Music Store yet, so these must have come from ripped CDs. Remember last February, when the RIAA [a href="http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/15/riaa_cd_ripping_isnt.html"]told a federal agency[/a] that ripping CDs is illegal?   [blockquote]"Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorization, not about fair use." [/blockquote]  I wonder if they'll bring charges against President Bush?  [a href="http://www.rondante.com/PresidentBush_Archies.html"]Link[/a]    
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

probly is from a cd of the twins since they gave him the ipod. You can put cd's on the ipod BUT we are talking about the skanky bush twins so I wouldn't doubt it if some songs on his ipod are illegal.  Doubt Bush has even heard of iTunes or even Apple for that matter.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
You can put cd's on the ipod

No, that's the point- the RIAA says you can't. Read it carefuly:

Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorization, not about fair use."

[/b]

Sportsdude

Then they've got it wrong then because isn't the whole MP3 revoultion about being able to listen to your entire music catalog without cd's?
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
Then they've got it wrong then because isn't the whole MP3 revoultion about being able to listen to your entire music catalog without cd's?

Not just "no", but "f*ck no!" according to the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America).

No, they want you to pay every time you hear a song, pay by the note or the chord, pay separately to have the music you bought be available in your car AND in your home (what a KraZy idea!). They want to prevent you from recording and storing almost any music or video without paying for it again and again and again.

Future Canadian

God I f*cking hate the RIAA. That is such BS. I bought the CD (at a premium!-prices are way outta whack from reality but that's another rant), it is now mine to do with what I wish. They're just trying to make a buck and justify their existence.
Being in the restaurant trade I've seen their grift before, saying places need to pay for the music they play or they'll get taken to court. Foolish mortals! As if you go to a cafe just for the music. That's like charging royalties for the color of paint on the walls. And what if someone hears a song I play at work and really likes it, asks me who it is and then goes to buy it. By the RIAA logic I should get a cut of that sale for advertising the music.
And if I'm to pay for every song on my iPod, that would cost  around $75,000 to fill it all the way up. If I have a music collection worth that much it'd better have some original Elvis vinyl in it, not some bunch of crap from iTunes.  
Oooh this stuff gets me so hopping mad it makes me want to download some Metallica. How's that BitTorrent taste Lars? You might have to get by with just a silver diving board for your pool instead of a gold one.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others