The Overwhelmingly Fascist News Media

Started by hub_spinner, Apr 16 06 06:12

Previous topic - Next topic

hub_spinner

We're all victims of the compliant US media shamefully assisting the extremist administration into transforming America into a dictatorship and ignoring one of the most serious threats facing America's democracy today -- riggable voting machines.

There are alternatives to the overwhelmingly fascist media.  I'll share some with you later.

hub_spinner

Independent new sources can be found here at these links:

[A href="http://www.rawstory.com/"]http://www.rawstory.com/[/A]

[A href="http://www.thenation.com/"]http://www.thenation.com/[/A]

[A href="http://www.bradblog.com"]www.bradblog.com[/A]

Gopher

hub_spinner wrote:
 We're all victims of the compliant US media shamefully assisting the extremist administration into transforming America into a dictatorship and ignored one of the most serious threat facing America's democracy today -- riggable voting machines.

Like your views, hub-spinner

There are alternatives to the overwhelmingly fascist media.  I'll share some with you later.

A fool's paradise is better than none.

tenkani

There are plenty of alternatives.

The problem is, the vast majority of Americans believe that (and I've heard this expressed several times) the truth lies somewhere between the conservative Fox News and the "liberal" CNN. I had a friend who said that he watched both, so as to gain a balanced understanding of the issues.

What most people don't understand is that on the issues that really matter, the difference between Fox News and CNN is pretty much non-existence. Like the difference between the Republicans and Democrats. Often it's just a difference in tone, rather than substance.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

hub_spinner

The internet will turn the tide.  CNN is a slimy, spineless, pro-Fascism apologist news service, no two-ways about it.  

tenkani

No. It won't turn the tide.

Americans are jaded and lazy when it comes to politics.

It's really too late for access to the truth to make any real difference IMO.

We will wait until a crisis to act, and then act (as we did after 9/11) in a mindless, reptillian manner, making the situation even worse. Then we will go back to business as usual.

The system will maintain equilibrium for as long as possible, but let's face it, the future looks grim.

hub_spinner

I hope you're wrong, Tenkani, for the sake of America and for the sake of the world.

Sportsdude

tenkani wrote:
 There are plenty of alternatives.

The problem is, the vast majority of Americans believe that (and I've heard this expressed several times) the truth lies somewhere between the conservative Fox News and the "liberal" CNN.

Then watch MSNBC.

Sad thing is that most americans still believe that iraq had weapons of mass destruction and that the terrorists on 9/11 came through Canada.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

tenkani

Yes, most Americans believe that Sadaam had something to do with 9/11. Even after all the lies and manipulation that has surfaced.

Mainstream journalists are terrified of doing any real investigative work when it comes to U.S. foreign policy. Ok, closer to the truth is probably that the journalists aren't assigned projects like that. The particular political leanings of a reporter are irrelevant for the most part. Individual reporters (unless they're superstars like Dan Rather) don't decide what stories to cover, or how they should be reported.

Mainstream news, like most of Americans television, is all about selling advertising time. In other words, we get the news we ask for. We aren't being challenged and engaged because that's not what sells product.

Sportsdude

"the journalists aren't assigned projects like that."

Of course they aren't. Who wants to be labeled by the conservative media a "traitor." Edward R. Murrow would have been shot if the things he did during McCarthyism Era was today.

And real news here doesn't sell. We like the Natalie Hollaway stories.

tenkani

Exactly. Why? Because the real, important news stories tend to be complex. They require some knowledge of history, culture...in short, CONTEXT. It's hard to spoon-feed a story like that in 30 seconds.

Whereas hearing about Clinton getting his dick sucked is an issue where people can react from emotion rather than intellect. It's like easy listening news. Completely un-challenging and IMO uninteresting. And Bush is the easy listening president.

Sportsdude

The funny thing is people don't like depressing stories so news agencies move away from the hard news into the fluff stuff but yet the country can't get enough of Natalie Hollaway, the next kidnapped teenage girl, the duke rape case and laci peterson cases.

tenkani

I don't think it's depressing stories that bother people.

Like you said, folks tune in for stories of rape, murder and all manner of other atrocity.

They just don't like having to think.

Enter the "infotainment" industry      

Sportsdude

or they like to be told what to think:

Gopher

Sportsdude wrote:
 "the journalists aren't assigned projects like that."

Of course they aren't. Who wants to be labeled by the conservative media a "traitor." Edward R. Murrow would have been shot if the things he did during McCarthyism Era was today.

And real news here doesn't sell. We like the Natalie Hollaway stories.[/DIV]
 [FONT color=#00007f]Who cares how anyone is portrayed by the conservative media? Unless, of course, it's in a derogatory sense - in which case it's complimentary. [/FONT]  
A fool's paradise is better than none.