Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

kitten

Why stop there, Gopher?  Sometimes the last page is the best one.  There is a sense of satisfaction in knowing you have finally finished the stupid thing and you can then prepare to read an interesting one as an antidote.

I finally finished  "Children of Kings", and now my plans are to read a book of short stories, "Too Many Curses".  It is supposed to contain some elements of humour,  so I'll see how it goes.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

I stopped there as all the characters were referred to as  he, him, she and her and I couldn't remember to whom they referred without constantly looking back to check.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

I wouldn't have bothered continuing with it either, Gopher.  It doesn't sound worth the effort.  I'm hoping that I can get to the library on Monday to see if my favourite authors have written something new.  Being bookless is a sad state of affairs.
Apart from another visit from the very annoying home nurse that, in my opinion, comes here far too frequently, (I expect another visit from her today), home is peaceful.  To my regret, she is returning today to lecture me again about which pills to take and when.  Such a tedious waste of precious time, when I would much rather be going to the library before the car becomes an oven.  She was here today to tell me which pills I have to take, and when to take them.  I guess her reasoning is that I must be incredibly stupid, and need the reinforcement of yet another lecture from her.  Either that, or she gets paid by the number of visits she makes each day.  To my mind, she made too many visits the first time she arrived here.
Frustration abounds!  Even the cats are smart enough to head out the patio door when she arrives.  Just wish I could!

I wish my computer would quit trying to correct me when I use Canadian (British) spelling instead of using American.
(Erase, reenter, using a different phrasing to get the meaning across without offending the Keyboard!

Gopher

I've decided to try a children's book next, I want to get in touch with my inner-chid.

No nurse for me Kitten, I just have to visit the hospital once a month, for a blood test and to collect a lorry load of tablets - next time comes on Thursday. After that a week doing 'nothing' (that'll be the day) and then off to Finland for a week.

kitten

gopher, I'm so glad that you now have time to travel and see all the places you want to visit.  It must be wonderful to visit all the places you dreamt of visiting.  What a wonderful life you are living now!  You have my undiluted envy.  What an adventurer you have become!  More power to you!  Congratulations (tinged with envy!).

Gopher

Gobbolino, The Witch's Cat I - Ursula Moray Williams.

Lil Me

Governing the Commons by Elinor Ostrom.
Required reading for a course, but it's actually a great book.
She won a Nobel Prize.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins (read it three times before, but that was quite a while ago). Still very enjoyable.

Lil Me

Order Without Law: How Neighbours Settle Disputes by Robert Ellickson.
required reading for a course.
And quite interesting if you happen to be interested in the Coase Theorem or in ranchers' grazing rights in Mt Shasta, Ca.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

kitten

Do you mean to say you aren't interested in rancher's rights?  I can't for a moment imagine why. ;D

Lil Me

Lots of journal articles about income inequality in Brazil.

Gopher

Still ploughing on with The Moonstone; it's very long, but also compulsive.

Sportsdude

So I finally finished my Hemingway project of his classics and read Old Man and the Sea.

As a single person, the metaphor of the fish being eaten by the sharks has now entered into my dating conversations for some reason. I talked about the meaning of the metaphor during a date last week... lol

Moved on to Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin. I have been meaning to read this for years.

And, I checked out St. Augustine's City of God for some reason last month. I have no idea what to do with it, both academically or for personal fulfillment. Any advice would be welcomed.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

Steelheart, by Brandon Sanderson. It's okay.

Frankly, I read too much to keep a current list here. I usually read 5 ~ 10 a week, but sometimes less if the library is bare. :(
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gopher

Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons.

|