Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Gopher

Yes, it originated the whole thing.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

Well, I read a couple chapters of 1984. I'm on chapter 6. I keep falling asleep when I'm reading it though, can't find a good place to read without falling asleep. lol  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Are you finding it rather grim? I remember I did. Sort of interesting but unrelenting.  

Sportsdude

well my favourite book ever was his Animal Farm. If that wasn't 'grim' I don't know what is.  Right now its on overload on details.  The character is explaining everything.  

kitten

I found it depressing and entirely believable............more so as time goes on.  
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

He just made a mistake with the date.

kitten

True, but not by that much.  I don't think one could accuse him of optimism.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

oh yeah the book is completely believable.
Fighting an enemy for so long he's forgotten what started the war and who is actually involved. Never ending war (war on terrorism will be that)
Making up war stories to promote nationalism modern day example: (Pat Tilmann ex NFL player, killed by friendly fire but for years he was classified as dying by the enemy.
People 'disappearing'

ForShure

Leaving Microsoft to Change the World:  An Entrepreneur's Odyssey to Educate the World's Children  

Gopher

Whiteout - Ken Follett

weird al

Not current, but the mention of 1984 reminded me of We, (supposedly the inspiration for 1984 and/or Brave New World)

by Yevgeny Zamyatin.

All that really stands out in my memory is this part where the narrator says "I was no longer a number. I had become a mere person."

Anybody can throw out a line like this nowadays, but ol' Yevgeny was way ahead off his time, having written that in 1920.

Bugs me that that's all I can remember. I guess I'm ready for Sarducci's 5-minute university course.  

weird al

Here's Guido's 5-minute university bit. [A href="http://pratie.blogspot.com/2005/03/guidos-five-minute-university.html"]http://pratie.blogspot.com/2005/03/guidos-five-minute-university.html[/A]

tenkani

ROFL.

You a Prisoner fan WA?  
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

weird al

tenkani wrote:
 ROFL.

You a Prisoner fan WA?

Was that in Blighty? With Patrick McGoo?  

Gopher

Yes, it was ages ago, but I still remember it very well. If I recall it was mainly filmed in small place in Wales called Port Meirion.  

|