Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

Love that book.

But my favourites so far have been Animal Farm and All Quiet on the Western Front.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Future Canadian

My stack of reading by my bedside is getting embarassingly large (because all I end up reading is websites and magazines). But I reall want to read:
Botany of Desire - Micheal Pollan (like a total stoner I read the section on teh herb first)
The Pinball Effect - James Burke
Driving Over Lemons - Chris Stewart
Salt A World History - Mark Kurlansky
I'm on a bit of a non-fiction kick right now.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Orik

the complete works of Sherlock Holmes vol 1 and 2 nearly done reading vol 2 finished vol 1 a week ago  written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle  
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Gopher

Sportsdude wrote:
 Love that book.

If you're referring to To Kill A Mockingbird, then so do I - I seem to find more and more in it every time I read it. It's a masterpiece.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Some Chick

In the last two weeks:

The Chamber- John Grisham 6 out of 10.  Lots of dry court stuff.

Dead by Sunset - Anne Rule -- Not bad.  6.5 out of 10

Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason, (can't remember author) FUNNY AS HELL OMG GET A MAN TO READ THIS AND HE WILL FIND OUT SO MUCH. 9 out of 10

Jurassic Park - Michael Crighton (wanted to see if it was better than the movie.  It's not) 6 out of 10

I read a lot on my deck or at the beach.  

Adam_Fulford

"Swarm" by Adam Fulford

Marik

I wonder how long they'll keep using "To Kill A Mockingbird" at the high school level.  

TehBorken

Some Chick wrote:  [strong style="font-style: italic;"]The Chamber[/b]- John Grisham 6 out of 10.  Lots of dry court stuff.

That's a good one of his. I've read most of Grisham's stuff and it rarely disappoints, but it can be a bit dusty in parts.

I just finished The Cat Dancers by P. T. Deutermann, Strong Arm Tactics by Jody Lynn Nye, and SSN by Clancy. All were pretty good.

I just started Under And Alone by William Queen, and it looks good already. (Non-fiction- a cop goes undercover inside the Mongols motorcycle gang for a year or two.)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice is quite good.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Some Chick

I have been trying to get through "Tale of the Body Thief" by Anne Rice.  I love the stories she writes, but I find her overly verbose and verbal flatulence difficult to wade through at times and she annoys me.

P.C.

I'm wondering if anyone would recognise this extremely brief summary (?) of a book I started reading YEARS ago, that I would like to read again.  I don't remember the title and only remember the name of ONE character (I think....lol)  

It was about two brothers, and I believe one of their names' was Phineous (?).  One of the brothers had fallen (out of a tree (?) and was paralysed.  And that's my summary (rofl)  I know it's not a lot to go on, but ring any teeny bells for anyone ???
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

[span class="sans"]Could it be[/span][b class="sans"] [/b][span class="sans"]A Separate Peace [/span][b class="sans"] [/b]by John Knowles?[a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-keywords=John%20Knowles/202-9377995-2852640"][/a]          

P.C.

Hi TehBorken [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a010.gif" border=0].  That doesn't ring any bells for me.  I believe I would recognise the title if I heard it......but on the other hand  ???

I remember hearing the title of the book in a Jeopardy answer once....and I was positive I'd remember it, but alas......

What is the book you mentioned about ?

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:  [div style="font-style: italic;"]What is the book you mentioned about ?[/div]
 Via Amazon:

A Seperate Peaace by John Knowles depicts a fictional story between the two bestest of friends, Gene and Phineas(fin-e-us)(Finny). Gene, the intellectual finds himself thinking that Finny, his athletic roommate at Devon, an all male boarding school, is trying to sabotage his chances of becoming valedvictorian of his class. However, it finally hits him that no, Finny is not that kind of person and just didn't think Gene had to work all that hard to make his grades--Gene is just good at it like he is at sports. One night during a meeting of a club that Finny had founded Gene jounces a limb and causes Finny to fall and crush his leg... Ok, that's enough of a synopsis, probably wasn't really necessary seeing that the Webster's Literary Dictionary said all that and MORE. Didn't want to give away the ending or anything..., but that's ok. A Seperate Peace should appeal to those who like a book with some realism to it. One can easily identify with the more "realistic" character, Gene but ends up admiring the near perfect Phineas. I've noticed some of the reader comments asking how could Gene knock his best friend off a limb like that even after knowing that there was no real competition between them. My class has discussed this and we came up with somewhat of an explanation: deep down, well maybe not that deep, all humans are savages. Everyone has sadistic temptations and sometimes they're hard to surpress, thought we like to think that wer're always surpressing these feelings, wer're not. In other words, Gene jounces the limb because of a tempation, it just happens. For those of you who didn't like the book maybe your're not the type who likes this kind of book. Everyone has their own personal oppinion; however, as to the fact of this plot being real, it's very real. I can name a modern day incident like this that recently occured: two cousins, age fifteen and sixteen, were playing with a gun--Texas Draw. Don't ask me what they were doing playing with a loaded gun, but they were. The gun accidently goes off, while the fitten year old is holding it, and shoots the sixteen year old in the neck. The sixteen year old's paralyzed from the neck down and the fifteen year old's receiving psychiatric treatment.

P.C.

THAT'S IT TehBorken !!!!!!  That title has absolutely NO familiarity to me at all, but I'm sure that's it.  Thanking you tons.

Have you read it ???  You came up with it awfully quickly.

|