A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

In Our Time -- Hemingway.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons

Sportsdude

Summer with Ernest continues.... I'm not sure if this was a good idea considering how bad my summer has been.
Read The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms and now I'm half-way through For Whom the Bell Tolls. Depressing, but good; the latter one, at least. I thought A Farewell to Arms was annoying.

Gopher

The Third Twin - Ken Follett

Orik

I started reading a series of novels by John Marsden on September 14 a couple of days, after I watched a rather bad movie call Tomorrow, when the war began. The movie was bad but I figured I had better see what the book was like.

I was not disappointed. The book is almost always better than the movie and this one was no different. However the book was so good, that I read through the book from beginning to end in just under 6 hours. I went through it very quickly, it was a very simple book to read but it was also very enjoyable.

The movie did not do the book justice at all. but after reading the first book I went to find other books by the author to find out John, Marsden had written a series of novels. The first is Called the Tomorrow series. I found the entire 7 novels in the series, to be a very pleasurable read. These books where a great escape to the stress of spending a few more days hospitalized once again.

For the past couple of weeks I have read pretty much one book every two to three days. I spent the majority of that time ripping my way through the entire series of his novels. I just recently finished the first of the 3 novels in The Ellie Chronicles that continues on after the war series finished off.

The Tomorrow Series consist of these novels
Tomorrow, When the War Began (1993)
The Dead of the Night (1994)
The Third Day, The Frost (1995) (published in the U.S. as A Killing Frost)
Darkness, Be My Friend (1996)
Burning for Revenge (1997)
The Night is for Hunting (1998)
The Other Side of Dawn (1999)

I loved the first third and last book of the series the most. If you have a young teen reader that does not enojy reading very much try them with the first book in this series. They are a very pleasurable read I found them a bit quick and easy  to read as well. But then again I have read a lot of novels so what may have been a simple read for me may not be the same for some one else.

AS I said I only just finished the First book in the Ellie Chronicles but I have had to take a break and read some humor to adjust for all the images of war...

For that genera of writing I fall back to my collection of novels by Terry Pratchett a fantasy writer that I find has a fairly good British wit  that he puts in his novels all of which over the years I have found to be a laugh out loud series of books all of which have been real joy to read.

I will finish The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett. Sometime within the next 8 hours this will mark the third Terry Pratchett novel I have read in the past 2 days. After I finish that book I will start on the second and third novels in the Ellie Chronicles.

While I Live (2003)
Incurable (2005)
Circle of Flight (2006)

When I finish those I hope I will be healthy enough to go and see what novels I can find in the second hand store that I have not yet read or own.
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Gopher

A Sight For Sore Eyes - Ruth Rendell

TehBorken

REAMDE, by Neil Stephenson.

I love it, highly recommended. Really, it's outstanding, best thing I've read in a couple of years at least.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gopher

Depths - Henning Mankell, the sixth book in a row I've ead by him. Best so far has been The Man From Peking, but the others were excellent too.

Russ

61 hours - Lee Child
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

David Harvey, The Condition of Postmodernity.

I need to seriously get on this book... its the basis of a term paper that was due in December.

Also, Gramsci, Prison Notebooks.

Gopher

La Dame Aux Camelias - Alexandre Dumas

Gopher

Unwanted - Kristina Ohlsson (and so far the title describes what I think of this book).

Gopher

My Soul To Take - Yrsa Sigurdardottir. The most badly written piece of trash that's come my way for ages. But at least the author's name is interesting.

Gopher

Girl With A Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier. Superb!

|