moving to seattle...suggestions???

Started by Allie, Apr 14 06 12:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie

Hello there,

My husband and I are moving to Seattle this summer for 2 years.

His work is going to be located on Capital Hill aka "Pill Hill".....that's what I've been told that it's called.

Now we're trying to find a place to live.  We currently live in the Kitsilano area of Vancouver and would love to find a place in Seattle that is somewhat similar.

Neither of us know Seattle really at all and we would really like some help!

We have a brand new baby and would like to find a nice clean 2-3 bedroom apartment or even a house that is in a nice area...ideally close to a community or recreation centre.  I am not going to be working so I would love to be in an area where I could go for nice walks with my baby and stroller.

Can anyone make any suggestions about areas that would be suitable?  

The other thing.....can anyone make any suggestions on "mom stroller groups" or anything?  I don't know anyone in Seattle and I would love some suggestions on how to meet other moms etc.

Thanks.    

Johnny

Hi Allie,
          I have only been to the Kitsilano neighborhood once so I am not totally sure of what you are looking for as an equivalent. "Pill Hill" is actually the First Hill neighborhood and is called that (not by anyone i know though) because of the many hospitals in the area. Capitol Hill is the next neighborhood over and to the north of First Hill. Capitol Hill is a very young and urban area. It is home to Seattle's gay community as well. Residents of Capitol Hill are mainly in their twenties to early thirties. It is a mix of artists, students, service industry workers and professionals who work downtown. It is also home to a lot of the cities music community. There are many rock clubs, bars, restaurants etc.. There are areas of the hill that are loud, busy, and a little trashy. There are also areas that are very quiet and full of beautiful old bungalow style homes and brick apt buildings. I would suggest the area around 15 th avenue since you have a small baby. You can walk some of Seattle's oldest and most beautiful neighborhoods here. There are a few really good natural grocery stores in the area as well as indie coffee shops and Volunteer Park is here too. If you choose to live somewhere else besides Cap. Hill i would suggest Queen Anne Hill or the Wallingford/ Fremont area. There are a lot of great neighborhoods to choose from in Seattle so drive around before you choose. Good Luck!