Send your stuff into space: $99 / 350g

Started by TehBorken, Apr 14 06 06:51

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Send your stuff on a suborbital space vacation         [/h3] Masten Space Systems is now selling payload slots where you can have 350 grams of your stuff launched into suborbital space. For the introductory price of $99, you can send your soda can-sized cargo to an altitude of higher than 100km. According to a press release on the Masten site, the company is developing vertical takeoff/vertical landing vehicles for suborbital and orbital missions. They promise the first customer missions in spring of 2007. From the payload order page: [blockquote]Payloads are generally sold in 1 kilogram increments at $250 per kilo. For those that want a standardized form factor we are offering CanSat flights. A CanSat is the same size as a standard 12 oz soda can with a mass limit of 350 grams. You can buy kits from various vendors such as Pratt Hobbies. Normally CanSat flights are $199 but for a limited time they are going for an introductory $99.

Remember, this is suborbital only. We won't be offering orbital payloads for several years and even then they won't be anywhere near the $199 price.

Over the next several months we will be releasing versions of the payload manual which includes interface definitions and physical characteristics such as vibration and G loads.[/blockquote] [a href="http://masten-space.com/blog/?p=74"]Link[/a]  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kitten

This doesn't make sense to me.  Isn't space already far too cluttered?  Isn't there an increased chance of collision with shuttles travelling to ISS and back?  Somehow I don't think it's the greatest idea in the world.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

tenkani

Yeah, this one had me scratching my head. Unless I'm mistaken, a "sub-orbital" release would result in the items tumbling back through the atmosphere (it never achieves orbit). It's not like your soda can is actually going to be circling the Earth or anything. They are putting your can on an airplane, taking a short flight and then tossing it out the window.

If you have $99 you don't need just give it to me!    [img style="WIDTH: 59px; HEIGHT: 20px" height=20 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Teasing/18.gif" width=90 border=0]
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

kitten

As the spacecraft rise from the ground, constantly accelerating, wouldn't even something as small as a soda can have enough of an impact to alter the course, however minimally it might do so?  With the very slightly altered trajectory, isn't it possible to throw the entire flight path out of synchronization?  There is also the possibility of one hitting a hot air balloon at high altitude or even some mountain climber attempting to scale Mount Everest.  It still seems to be an unnecessary venture.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

tenkani

I don't think they're talking about a "spacecraft" as such. They're high-altitude vertical takeoff and landing aircraft. I think the chance of the can hitting something important, especially if the flights are over water, is nearly non-existant. But yeah, it's a gimmick to part fools from their cash.

Still, now that you mention it, the idea of people throwing cans out of jet planes does make me a little nervous. What a way to go. Death by soda can!

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.