Canadian Minister of Environment censors scientist/sf writer's talk

Started by TehBorken, Apr 14 06 06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Canadian Minister of Environment censors scientist/sf writer's talk  [/h3] A Canadian scientist and science fiction writer who wrote a novel about global warming has had his speaking gig cancelled after Environment Minister Rona Ambrose intervened. The author, Mark Tushingham, works as a scientist for Environment Canada, which makes Ambrose his boss. He's also been ordered to cancel radio and TV appearances about his book. [blockquote] Mark Tushingham has written a science fiction novel called Hotter than Hell. It is set in the not-too-distant future when global warming has made many parts of the world too hot to live in and has prompted a war between Canada and the U.S. over water resources. [/p]Tushingham was scheduled to speak in Ottawa about his book and the science underpinning it. But an order from Ambrose's office stopped him. [/p]"He got a directive from the department, cautioning him not to come to this meeting today," said his publisher Elizabeth Margaris of DreamCatcher Publishers in New Brunswick. Margaris had driven from New Brunswick to attend the speech. [/p][/blockquote]  [a href="http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/04/13/ambrose-climate.html"]Link[/a]    
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kitten

What ever happened to free speech?  That is just plain stupid.  Furthermore, it is clearly labeled as science fiction, so I don't understand the Minister's justification.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Refreshing to know that politicians are as open-minded as ever!
A fool's paradise is better than none.

tenkani

I hear that in the book, Canadians march on Washington and burn the White House!!

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Gopher

tenkani wrote:
 I hear that in the book, Canadians march on Washington and burn the White House!!

[FONT color=#0000bf]How outrageously awful - who is in it at the time? le[/FONT]

A fool's paradise is better than none.

tenkani

Jeb Bush and his Defense Secretary Carrot Top!

And you thought Rummy had guns??

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.