Its Offical British Columbia is the healthiest place in the world men and women

Started by Sportsdude, Apr 13 06 07:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[H2]We granola eaters are obviously doing something right[/H2] [DIV id=author][img height=58 alt="Headshot of Gary Mason" src="http://images.theglobeandmail.com/v5/images/headshot/garyMason68x58.jpg" width=68]  [P class=byline]GARY MASON

[P class=source]From Thursday's Globe and Mail

[UL class=columnistInfo] [LI class=email][A title="Send an message directly to this writer" href="mailto:[email protected]"][FONT color=#003399]E-mail Gary Mason[/FONT][/A]  [LI class=bio]| [A title="Read the biography of Gary Mason" href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinions/columnists/Gary+MasonBio.html"][ABBR title=Biography][FONT color=#003399]Read Bio[/ABBR][/FONT][/A]  [LI class=article]| [A title="Listing of the columns of Gary Mason" href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinions/columnists/Gary+Mason.html"][FONT color=#003399]Latest Columns[/FONT][/A] [/LI][/UL]

[DIV id=article style="FONT-SIZE: 100%"] [!-- dateline --]VANCOUVER[!-- /dateline --] — Maybe it's all the rain. Or the mountains of granola we consume. Or the daylong hikes in the fresh air.

Something is helping us live longer out here.

Each day, it seems, brings new tidings of good joy. Or at least some new study showing the health benefits of living in supernatural B.C.

[DIV class="bigbox ad" id=boxR] [SCRIPT type=text/XXXXscript ads="1"]aPs="boxR";[/SCRIPT]  [SCRIPT type=text/XXXXscript]var boxRAC = fnTdo('a'+'ai',300,250,ai,'j',nc);[/SCRIPT]

A week ago it was a report called Comparison of Life Expectancy at Birth. It compared life expectancy in B.C. with the leading countries of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development based on 2003 statistics.

It was presented at the B.C. Health Living Alliance conference, a gathering held to discuss ways to ensure this province is the healthiest jurisdiction ever to host an Olympic Games.

It is one of Premier Gordon Campbell's five great goals for a golden future. Or an azure horizon. Something like that.

According to statistics unearthed by John Millar, executive director of population health surveillance for the Provincial Health Services Authority, B.C. men now lead the world in male life expectancy at 78.7 years of age.

By 2010, Dr. Millar projects, B.C. men will be living 80.2 years, still No. 1 in the world and well ahead of the projected national average in Canada of 78.9.

B.C. women placed sixth in the world in terms of life expectancy among females. In 2003, women in the province were living an average of 83.1 years. B.C. women, however, trail their counterparts from Japan (who top the scale at 85.3 years), Spain, Switzerland, France and Italy.

Unfortunately, B.C.'s women are expected to drop to seventh place in the world by 2010, while living an average of 84.1 years.

Canadian Cancer Statistics released this week also contained welcome news. A new report found incidence and mortality rates of cancer are generally lower in B.C. than in the rest of the country.

The cancer incidence rate per 100,000 population in B.C. is 385.5, compared with the national average of 404. And the B.C. mortality rate from most forms of cancer is 250 per 100,000 population. The national average is 290.5.

People in Eastern Canada love to make fun of those of us who live on the West Coast. We are routinely depicted as unambitious hot-tub lovers who get high on bean sprout sandwiches, among other things. Toronto executives stare out of their Bay Street office towers late in the day, imagining their Vancouver counterparts long gone from their desks, cycling along the Stanley Park seawall or communicating with whales from the side of a kayak.

It's all true, of course. And it may be helping us live longer.

Simon Sutcliffe, president of the B.C. Cancer Agency, said British Columbians do enjoy a healthier lifestyle than those in the rest of Canada. Smoking rates in the Maritimes and Quebec, for instance, are double what they are in B.C., which has the lowest rate in the country.

Dr. Sutcliffe said yesterday we do tend to exercise more because the climate allows it. We also tend to eat more fruits and vegetables because, well, who knows, we believed our mothers when they said they were good for us.

The incidence and mortality rates for cancer in B.C. also have something to do with ethnic composition. There is a proportionally higher number of Asians in the west, especially in B.C. The distribution of cancers among Asians, especially first generation, is quite different from established Caucasian populations.

There is also another factor at play here, although Dr. Sutcliffe doesn't toot his own horn about it. Thanks to the B.C. Cancer Agency, the province has the most organized and well-developed cancer screening and treatment programs in the country. And the in-line skating, granola-crunching, hill-climbing staff who work there are helping us live longer, too.

[/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

They forgot to mention that a lot of people maintain a healthy interest in what's going on around us.  That sort of social interaction wil keep a person from stagnating.  I've often thought that boredom is one of the leading causes of death..........people don't have the interest to keep on fighting for life.  In other words, their lives have become so predictable and shallow that there is nothing to look forward to, so they give up on life.  Now there's a topic for research!
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

Time for me to catch that plane.

You know kitten your right. My counselor who is from Scotland his dad worked at a ship yard hated it so much that it killed him to the point that when he retired at 60, he had nothing to do in his life and died at 61.  That's pretty common. If you are used to something then retire or stop doing it and do not replace it with anything you become bored and motionless.  I've seen and talked to a lot of people who had friends who where factory guys. When 60 turned around they retired and died within the next year.

kitten

I'm 65 and still working.  When I can't work any more, I'll still be reading books and researching everything I can think of on the Internet.  When I finally do go, they'll need an extra car just to carry my stuffed brain!  

Sportsdude

LoL. Thats the spirit!

See when I move to the Pacific Northwest and eventually Canada because even thou I'll be in Seattle I still will be in america. B.C. is soo cool I don't know where you could go wrong in at that place. Vancouver super modern city, sea to sky highway, vancouver island, victoria, Whistler, Rocky Mountains, fjords and the plains in the peace river valley area.  B.C. has it all in my opinion.

Marik

weird al

Sure, remember Proudcanuck on DV? The one who thinks anybody who says anything that could be construed as anti-Islamic must be brainwashed by internet hate sites and hiding (ineffectually) behind a proxy? 87. Probably many other "seniors", and why not?

kitten

Marik wrote:
 I never thought 65 year olds frequented internet forums. [/DIV]
 Did you think that a person's brain would turn to mush once they reached 65?  

Sportsdude

I think a growing number of people later on in life are discovering the internet and computer games and what not and its helping them keep sharpe as they say. Grandma is a little too old to understand computers she's 85 but she stays sharp by doing cross word puzzles and putting puzzles together. Granted she had a mini stroke about a year ago.

FULLOFHATE

Sportsdude wrote:
LoL. Thats the spirit!

See when I move to the Pacific Northwest and eventually Canada because even thou I'll be in Seattle I still will be in america. B.C. is soo cool I don't know where you could go wrong in at that place. Vancouver super modern city, sea to sky highway, vancouver island, victoria, Whistler, Rocky Mountains, fjords and the plains in the peace river valley area.  B.C. has it all in my opinion.[/DIV]
 BC is very sweet. Like all places though it is far from perfect. Try buying a nice home in the Lower Mainland for example. Vancouver is a nice town though. Super Modern??? Not sure about that?

BC is nice, but because it is full of human beings, it lacks intelligence.

Lise

I bet it's gotta do with the outdoor lifestyle. Seriously. We have more hiking trails than anywhere in the world.

It's not cancer that's going to do us in, it'll be taxes, mark my words.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.