Geek fixes defective rental DVD, breaks the law

Started by TehBorken, Apr 13 06 07:37

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Geek fixes defective rental DVD, breaks the law         [/h3] Kyle rented Disney's mediocre movie Atlantis and discovered that the show was made even worse by the screwed-up engineering of the Dolby sound. He was able to fix it -- by breaking the DRM on the disc and therefore committing a "criminal act". [blockquote]The re-encoded DVD-R played perfectly. The movie regained its full surround sound majesty in my home theater. Without the offending flags from the original Dolby Digital stream, my flagship Onkyo TX-DS989 AV Receiver had no problem. I enjoyed the movie I rented for $4. My $4 should have gone down the drain with this defective disc. But, through many hours of my valuable time and many expensive software and hardware resources, I was able to enjoy a very mediocre animated feature from Disney's catalog. [/p]Large corporations screw up and they don't like to publicize it. Personal DIY can fix these screw ups. Part of this DIY process, defeating DVD's DRM protection, was criminal. I don't feel like what I did was theft. I just wanted to watch the movie I paid for. [/p][/blockquote]  [a href="http://geekwithfamily.com/2006/04/12/audiophile/home-audio-electronics/real-life-drm-problems-atlantis-the-lost-empire-dvd/"]Link[/a]  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.