Love That Christian Tolerance

Started by TehBorken, Apr 11 06 10:26

Previous topic - Next topic
|

TehBorken

It's almost laughable how all these sanctimonious Christion groups are so threatened by gay people. Almost.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]Reaction grows to gay student's expulsion
OTHER CUMBERLANDS STUDENTS EXPRESS HURT, CONFUSION

[font size="1"]By Jamie Gumbrecht
HERALD-LEADER CULTURE WRITER[/font]

The news that his boyfriend, Jason Johnson, was expelled from University of the Cumberlands was still sinking in when Zac Dreyer sat at a computer to spread the news. "He is being asked to leave the university because he is gay," Dreyer wrote Thursday on the Web site MySpace.com, the same site school officials used to confront Johnson. "Help get the story out there so that all the gays and lesbians at the university will no longer have to live in secrecy, in fear of having their dreams crushed in front of them."[/p] Within a few hours, friends and students at the small Baptist college in Williamsburg were commenting in blogs about Johnson's expulsion. The buzz grew over the weekend, and by yesterday the issue drew reaction from legislators in Frankfort and on gay advocacy organizations' Web sites nationwide.[/p] Johnson, a sophomore majoring in theater arts, was expelled from the university Thursday because he declared online that he is gay. In a statement released last week, the university's president, Jim Taylor said students are held to a "higher standard" and that "students know the rules before they come to this institution."[/p] But a copy of the student handbook provided by the university confirmed the policy was not spelled out in 2003-04, when Johnson chose to attend. The school did not provide a copy of the policy for the 2004-05 school year. The 2005-06 student handbook says: "Any student who engages in or promotes sexual behavior not consistent with Christian principles (including sex outside marriage and homosexuality) may be suspended or asked to withdraw."[/p] School officials said that although the 2003-04 policy did not explicitly mention homosexuality, it did say that students must "conduct themselves, on and off the campus, in a manner which is consistent with the objectives of the College and with its standards of conduct."[/p] After Dreyer's Web post on Thursday, students' blogs showed mixed reactions. Some said they don't like homosexual behavior, but they didn't think the school should expel people just a few weeks before the end of the term. Others wrote that rules must be followed, but they would miss their friend, who was supposed to stage-manage a production of As You Like It last week. Some were furious, cursing at the university. Some were hurt, praying for God to guide them through a complicated time. The expulsion, some wrote, is tearing the campus apart.[/p] Renee Kuder, a University of the Cumberlands senior and a friend of Johnson, says many students worry they'll be punished if they discuss the case online or in the media. Some students declined to comment for this story, or did not return messages.[/p] The school did not comment on the issue yesterday.[/p] But some students are publicly questioning the school's values, Kuder said. Many wore shirts yesterday with "God loves my gay friends" printed on them and are waiting for Johnson to let them know the best response to the university.[/p] "They're being hypocritical, by Christian standards," Kuder said. "If we love each other, accept each other for who we are, why are they kicking him out? I almost feel like they're trying to mold us, me, into a person that I wouldn't want to be.[/p] "There's a letter in the student handbook that says everyone is a unique creation of God, you're special, we care about you. They didn't care if he didn't have a place to go. They could have pretty much ruined his life."[/p] Johnson was confronted by two school officials Thursday. They showed Johnson his profile on MySpace.com, where he wrote about his boyfriend, then showed him the 2005-06 student handbook policy.[/p] Johnson left the meeting with a letter that required him to leave the university that night. His parents, who helped him choose the Baptist school two years earlier, were "outraged," he said. Along with Dreyer, who attends Eastern Kentucky University, they helped him move out of the dorm within hours.[/p] "I was upset to the point that I couldn't speak. I didn't even want to ask about it," said Johnson, a Lafayette High School graduate, who is considering attending the University of Kentucky or Eastern Kentucky University next fall. "I wanted to be out of there."[/p] Johnson, who is considering legal action against the university, said students shouldn't question their faith, but they should question their personal beliefs.[/p] "What I would hope is that their faith is renewed because people are standing up for what they believe in," Johnson said. "It has strengthened my resolve, my beliefs, my faith, seeing the love and support."[/p]  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Legion

When they got into this university they probably had to sign a contract proving they were good god fearing people. Contracts are contracts I guess...  
curses!

tenkani

That's a tough one.

I guess I don't understand homosexuals who choose to remain tied to a religion that brands them as sinners and who's holy book recommends their execution. Gays shouldn't have to "live in secrecy", but on the other hand, demanding that a Christian school accept students who are gay is a bit naive IMO.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Schadenfreude

Why do homosexuals feel they have to announce to the world they are homosexual?
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Gopher

tenkani wrote:
 That's a tough one.

I guess I don't understand homosexuals who choose to remain tied to a religion that brands them as sinners and who's holy book recommends their execution. Gays shouldn't have to "live in secrecy", but on the other hand, demanding that a Christian school accept students who are gay is a bit naive IMO.[/DIV]
 No two ways about it - it's just not Chrtistian (at least not in my interpretation of the word).  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

tenkani

Well, that's the problem. The old testament demands the execution of homosexuals, while Jesus preaches a philosophy of compassion. But even Jesus would ask that a sinner cease sinning and not allow the sin to become their identity.

I think the anti-gay bias in the bible is nonsense, but the fundamentalist postition on the issue actually makes more sense than those Christians who state that anti-gay sentiment is "non-christian". If you're going to claim that the bible is your holy book, it's a little silly to turn around and say that it's Ok to be gay.

Gopher

tenkani wrote:
 Well, that's the problem. The old testament demands the execution of homosexuals, while Jesus preaches a philosophy of compassion. But even Jesus would ask that a sinner cease sinning and not allow the sin to become their identity.

I think the anti-gay bias in the bible is nonsense, but the fundamentalist postition on the issue actually makes more sense than those Christians who state that anti-gay sentiment is "non-christian". If you're going to claim that the bible is your holy book, it's a little silly to turn around and say that it's Ok to be gay.[/DIV]
 Trouble is that so many people think that the Old Testament is a work of the Christian rather than the pre-Christian era. Incidentally, how does one define sin?  

tenkani

If, as a Christian, you're going to dismiss the old testament, maybe you need to look for a new religion.

The Ten Commandment were also "pre-Christian". Do you dismiss them as well??[/DIV]

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination"

(Leviticus 18:22).

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them"

(Leviticus 20:13).

There are plenty of gray areas when it comes to Christian dogma. One would think, however, that if a sin results in an immediate death sentence, there's not a whole lot of wiggle room. How does, this is an abomination, put them to death, somehow mutate into it's Ok to be gay?

I suppose my issue stems from the fact that there are so many pseudo-Christians who continue to support this religion, seemingly unconcerned that their holy book is filled with genocide, hatred and intolerance. Even if these "Christians" don't act on the hateful words in their book, they add their names and tacit support to those who continue to claim that America is 75% Christian and use this in their attempt to set up a theocracy.

Schadenfreude

"Incidentally, how does one define sin?"

[FONT size=4]Where's the beer?[/FONT]

[FONT size=4]Sin the fridge.[/FONT]
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Legion

close the door. i'm dressing.  
curses!

tenkani

Woops, missed that one.

Sin is disobedience to god. For instance, if your god has commanded that anyone who commits X act shall be put to death, it's fair to assume that he doesn't want you to do it. If you go ahead and do it, you've sinned.

In the Christian faith, all sins but one are forgivable, but if you sin, and continue to sin, and make that sin part of your identity, don't expect forgiveness and acceptance until you've stopped sinning.

Gopher

tenkani wrote:
 Woops, missed that one.

Sin is disobedience to god. For instance, if your god has commanded that anyone who commits X act shall be put to death, it's fair to assume that he doesn't want you to do it. If you go ahead and do it, you've sinned.

In the Christian faith, all sins but one are forgivable, but if you sin, and continue to sin, and make that sin part of your identity, don't expect forgiveness and acceptance until you've stopped sinning.[/DIV]
 Why are some Christians apparently more obsessed with sin than love?

Schadenfreude

From the Simpsons Quote-a-thon:

Homer: Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

tenkani

"Why are some Christians apparently more obsessed with sin than love?"

Good f*cking question. Maybe because it's easier for a religious leader to manipulate a person through fear than through love? Despite all the high-sounding bullshit we've been spoon-fed, fear is a much more potent drive than any of the "higher emotions". Love simply can't kick your reptile brain into high gear like fear can.

Sorry, my philosophy when it comes to this stuff is pretty cynical.  

tenkani

LOL @ Mr. S.

Everything I needed to know about religion I learned from cartoons    

|