Fishapod fossil: suck on this, Creationists!

Started by TehBorken, Apr 06 06 04:10

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Fishapod fossil: suck on this, Creationists!         [/h3] Darwin's posse just got mightier with the discovery of a prehistoric critter, [em]Tiktaalik roseae, [/em] that represents a missing link in the evolutionary chain.
[div style="text-align: left;"]
The fossils of the approximately 9-ft. long creature, which are, described in two Nature articles released today, were dug out of rock formations on Ellesmere Island, in the Canadian Arctic, by paleontologists from the University of Chicago and several other institutions. Its nickame, for reasons that will become clear, is "fishapod"; it's more formally called Tiktaalik ("large fish in stream," in the local Inuit language).

Fishapod dates from about 383 million years ago. It had the scales, teeth and gills of a fish, but also a big, curved rib cage that suggests the creature had lungs as well. The ribs interlock, moreover, unlike a fish's, implying they were able to bear fishapod's weight—an unnecessary trait in a fish. It had a neck—most unfishlike. And, most surprising of all, its pectoral fins included bones that look like nothing less than a primitive wrist and fingers.[br clear="all"][/div][a href="http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1180415,00.html?cnn=yes"]Link [/a]to [em]TIME[/em] coverage, [a href="http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060403/full/060403-7.html"]Link[/a] to [em]Nature[/em]'s coverage (there's a podcast, too), [a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1747926,00.html"]here's something[/a] in the [em]Guardian[/em], and [a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/science/05cnd-fossil.html?ex=1301889600&en=43e5c9ecb1dd0cd6&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss"]here's[/a] a [em]NYT[/em] article. Update: The BBC opened their TV news last night with a a great segment that's now available on their site. [a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4879672.stm"]Link[/a], Click on "See the fossilized fish - Video" in upper right hand corner.    
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

TehBorken

purelife wrote:
 An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 25 seconds ago. Please try again later.

You didn't do anything wrong- this is just an anti-flooding delay. It means exactly what it says- you need to wait about 20 to 25 seconds between posts. It just keeps lamers from posting 1,000 messages a minute in an attempt to "flood" or bring down the board.

tenkani

Aha! I've spotted a mistake in that article already. It says the fish thing is 383 million years old. Well, anyone with half a brain knows that the Earth is between 6,000 and 10,000 years old. SUCK ON THAT EVOLUTIONISTS!!!!
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

purelife

Hmm..okay.  I'll be deleting my posts as to not interrupt your topic.  Sorry.

tenkani

As far as I'm concerned you can interrupt any thread you like.

I'd much rather discuss you than some 10,000 year-old fish    

TehBorken

tenkani wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]As far as I'm concerned you can interrupt any thread you like.[/div] I'd much rather discuss you than some 10,000 year-old fish    [img style="font-style: italic;" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif[/img]

I second that motion!

tenkani

Ok, she's gone, so back to the debate.

God has placed fossils upon this Earth to confound the mortal mind. Prove me wrong, if you can. TAKE THAT EVOLUTIONIST SCUM!

TehBorken

tenkani wrote:
Ok, she's gone, so back to the debate.[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]God has placed fossils upon this Earth to confound the mortal mind. Prove me wrong, if you can. TAKE THAT EVOLUTIONIST SCUM!
Yeah, basically they're saying the fact that it looks real somehow proves that it's fake. (After all, god wouldn't make a cheesy fake, He'd make a really good one.)

And that, my lord, is how we know the earth is bananna-shaped.

tenkani

What?? No, that's not my point at all. Listen carefully, heathen: if God is powerful enough to create the entire universe (minus heaven and hell) in 7 days, putting fossils under the ground would be child's play? This statement is logically unassailable. Thank you for your time. Tip your waitress on the way out.

TehBorken

tenkani wrote:
What?? No, that's not my point at all. Listen carefully, heathen: if God is powerful enough to create the entire universe (minus heaven and hell) in 7 days, putting fossils under the ground would be child's play? This statement is logically unassailable. Thank you for your time. Tip your waitress on the way out.

How can I believe anyone whose avatar is a guy eating a breadstick as big as a nuclear submarine?    

tenkani

That's um...not a bread stick.

Ok, enough philosophy for one day.

I'll be out of town for a few days so good night and good luck.