Sudden Outbreak Of Common Sense

Started by TehBorken, Feb 04 15 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Yay, this is GOOD for the internet and GOOD for you and I.

It's good for everyone except cable companies who want to squeeze every last f*cking nickel out of you.

Finally, a "Sudden Outbreak Of Common Sense".

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has published an op-ed explaining how and why the FCC will "use its Title II authority to implement and enforce open internet protections (http://www.wired.com/2015/02/fcc-chairman-wheeler-net-neutrality/)."

He says, "These enforceable, bright-line rules will ban paid prioritization, and the blocking and throttling of lawful content and services. I propose to fully apply—for the first time ever—those bright-line rules to mobile broadband. My proposal assures the rights of internet users to go where they want, when they want, and the rights of innovators to introduce new products without asking anyone's permission.

To preserve incentives for broadband operators to invest in their networks, my proposal will modernize Title II, tailoring it for the 21st century, in order to provide returns necessary to construct competitive networks.

For example, there will be no rate regulation, no tariffs, no last-mile unbundling. Over the last 21 years, the wireless industry has invested almost $300 billion under similar rules, proving that modernized Title II regulation can encourage investment and competition."

Thank you, Tom Wheeler!

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.