Do you still have a landline?

Started by Russ, Jun 28 14 04:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you still have a landline, just a mobile phone, or both?

I use a mobile phone only
I have a landline only
I have both a mobile and a landline
Russ What is wrong with you?
I use Magic Jack or VOIP

Russ

Havent seen a poll done in a while...
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

I have a landline.  Seriously thinking about cancelling it.
Only reason I still have it is for Heckyl and Jeckyl calling for help when they are home alone.
Jeckyl doesn't have a cell phone, and Heckyl can't always find his...
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

Quote from: Lil Me on Jun 28 14 11:18
I have a landline.  Seriously thinking about cancelling it.
Only reason I still have it is for Heckyl and Jeckyl calling for help when they are home alone.
Jeckyl doesn't have a cell phone, and Heckyl can't always find his...

We debated it, but I decided to keep it. It was 15 dollars more on our package bundle. My parents always call it, and my dad sits on it for hours when he's over. He's not even a woman! Also, in the case of a power outage it will work. As well if there's a disaster, hard land lines are more likely to be clear than cell towers. I have an old nor tel landline set I have as a backup.

Russ

Quote from: kitten on Jun 28 14 10:29
I have both.  I used the mobile while I was at the clinic, and now I'm seriously considering cancelling it since I no longer need it.  I do want to keep the landline since I don't get out any more.  The only time I used the mobile was when I had to go to the clinic in downtown Vancouver and I didn't know where the public phones were.

It's very rare to see public phones anymore.
I've lived and grown up in van since I was born, and I despise going downtown. I drive out to richmond or Burnaby rather than go downtown, even if it takes longer.
Can you package your cell with your landline, internet, and tv?
If not can you cancel your plan and do a pay as you go?

Lil Me

My landline is Shaw (doesn't work in power failure) and bundled with internet.
Don't have TV.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

Don't have TV? How sensible. You've made me wonder why I have.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Natasha

I recently got rid of my landline. I kept it for a long time because I had unlimited long distance and internet set up with it. But everyone calls my cell which meant I only had a landline for internet services. I added my internet service with my satellite service and canceled all landline services. Now I'm saving about $100 a month
:)

I do have to admit though, I miss payphones. What if something happens while someone is out and they dont have a cell phone or their cell phone can't be used?? Theres no option to call from a payphone. Hopefully, they'll come across kind strangers or walk up to a house that doesn't believe in shooting trespassers.

TehBorken

We have two landlines, they come with the $99/month internet service. I kept our original number on POTS but the 2nd one (which is never ever used) is connected via fiber.

I barely use the original line. The thing is that 98% of the incoming calls are bullshit telephone solicitors. I torture them relentlessly for calling and I always outlast them. ALWAYS.

See, I've got all the time in the world while they have to try and get something from me in a reasonable amount of time or their call stats drop. So the longer I keep them on the phone spinning their wheels the less they make and the fewer people they can annoy.

As soon as they call me they become my prey. :)

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

No landline
No TV
No internet
Clarification on the internet: I'm tooo broke at the moment, but will more than likely cave in the next few weeks, as my sister is coming up in August, and she'll flip if she can't watch movies or something. It's also more of a political act. The only two options you have in this province are Bell or Videotron, the latter of which is Quebecor, the evil empire. Quebecor was formerly run by PKP, the most vicious man in Canada, known for union busting and firing actors and what not for not following orders or saying controversial things in public. French speaking performers and media personalities are afraid of him and supposedly a black list is out there... (thank god I'm an anglophone!)... Anyway, he owned all of the non-CBC media here, ala Berlusconi in Italy, and was appointed to chair Hydro Quebec before running with the PQ during the last election and now will soon become their leader. Now Quebecor is run by Brian (bleeping) Mulroney. What are the freaking odds. Only in Quebec...)

I might as well be living in the dark ages!
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

We have a land line.  I don't really use my cell, more for texting than calls. 

I would love to cancel cable but not everyone is on the same boat as me.

Lil Me

I'm looking at replacing my Shaw phone ($30/mo) with a Fido home phone ($10/mo) since you can keep the same #.

Russ

Quote from: purelife on Jul 31 14 02:24
We have a land line.  I don't really use my cell, more for texting than calls. 

I would love to cancel cable but not everyone is on the same boat as me.

We keep cable cause I still like some of the shows you can't get on Netflix (most of the time we watch this now), and SS and my Dad when he's in town watch the news.

Russ

Quote from: Lil Me on Jul 31 14 10:33
I'm looking at replacing my Shaw phone ($30/mo) with a Fido home phone ($10/mo) since you can keep the same #.

We looked into this for a while.. decided not to mainly due to wanting a landline in case of emergencies, and we couldn't keep our bundle through Telus.