Nice bike lock

Started by TehBorken, May 17 14 05:23

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

I thought this was a little interesting....

You may have heard the term, "the internet of things", and this item below is a perfect example. It's a bike lock that has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, keyless entry via a iOS or Android mobile app, and motion sensing capabilities.

Tech is cheap and I expect we'll see lots of ordinary things being outfitted with various enhanced sensors and communication capabilities. It's inevitable, really.
(http://discoverseattle.net/image/skylockRG1.jpg)
It's solar-powered so the battery gets charged whenever it's in light. The maker, Velo Labs, says one hour of sunlight can give the lock enough charge to last a week, while a fully charged battery can last a month or longer.

If the bike is moved, stolen, or even nudged when you are away from it the lock can alert you using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi capabilities. Users can then alert the authorities and direct them to the site where the bike is being stolen or stripped. And that's not the extent of the motion sensors on the lock: Bikers involved in a crash might well have their lives saved by the Skylock, as it can judge the severity of impact and call an ambulance if necessary.

It's $250 (!!) now but I can see where this would come down to a $50 ~ $75 range.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kitten

Interesting idea for riders.  As you say, it could well save a life.  I wonder what other things could be locked more safely with it to prevent burglaries and theft, such as barbecues and tool sheds.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.