Heh, another competitor bites the dust

Started by TehBorken, Dec 23 13 12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

I have competitors in certain web interests I manage. They don't usually last very long, maybe a year or so.  Basically, I see 'em come and I see 'em go...and when they go, I usually try to snap up their domain name and point it to whatever site of mine they were competing with (not this site).

So, another competitor just bit the dust, and I tagged their domain to participate in the auction for it. Some n00b had placed an opening bid, which you should never do (all it does it alert serious bidders like me that someone else is interested). Tsk, tsk.

The auction drew to a close and with 15 secs remaining I placed a slightly higher bid.

Doing that extends the auction's closing time by 5 minutes, so I waited around for 5 minutes watching to see if they would counter-bid. But they were asleep or busy or not paying attention and I won the auction. I got the domain for about 1/20th of what it probably would have gone for if they'd had a chance to keep bidding.

Oh well...ya snooze, ya lose.  :)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

Congrats!
And interesting at the same time to learn a bit behind the scenes about how things like this work. I admit to not having a clue.
Thanks for post TB.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

DDD

Quote from: Russ on Dec 24 13 12:58
Congrats!
And interesting at the same time to learn a bit behind the scenes about how things like this work. I admit to not having a clue.
Thanks for post TB.

Never tell the wife this
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Russ

Quote from: DDD on Dec 24 13 08:34
Never tell the wife this
LOL, too late. I think she knows.. after I married her however.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Natasha

Quote from: Russ on Dec 24 13 11:28
LOL, too late. I think she knows.. after I married her however.

Good play. Now she's stuck with you regardless :)