Is tri city area racist?

Started by eurito, Oct 17 13 04:34

Previous topic - Next topic

eurito

By calling most of the students at Guelph "hicks" you are being pretty racist yourself, you know?

If you mean students from farms and small towns, since Guelph is home to OAC (the Ontario Agricultural College), there are a lot of people studying agriculture. However, that is only a small portion of student body as a whole.

Otherwise, you will find students from all over Canada, and many international students as well. In fact, Guelph was recently voted the best university in Ontario for international students - if there were a lot of racism at Guelph that wouldn't be the case.

Yes, Caucasians predominate at Guelph (unlike at some other universities, where Caucasians are in the minority), but I have plenty of friends who are of Caribbean, African, Asian, and First Nations heritage, and they tell me they haven't ever encountered racism at Guelph. I worked in a lab this summer where we had individuals from every continent (except Antarctica) and had multiple individuals from Africa and the Middle East. All were treated with respect.

I've had profs from many different cultural groups, including Indian, African, Asian, and Middle Eastern, and they enjoy it greatly at Guelph. There are profs and students who wear full Muslim head coverings and face veils, and one of those is a friend of mine. She's never encountered any problems because she wears a veil - people are normally just curious and politely ask her why she wears it.

Will you encounter some people who are racist and who may use the "n" word? Sure, but you'll find that at any university in the country. That doesn't mean that individual represents the entire student body.

Is Guelph very "white?" Yes. Is racism tolerated? Not at all. Any caught engaging in racist acts, speech or behaviour is severely reprimanded and dealt with.

henn9438

The current mods at memebee like Boo and Ryder used to post racist comment on DV and gunta who is in charge of the Asian forum used to post as china superpower|
adem

so what

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Are peaches and avocados the same thing?:
Type the word delicious twice:
Is Washington state larger or smaller than a basketball?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview