School Bans "Patriotic Clothing"

Started by TehBorken, Apr 05 06 08:05

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[p align="left"][font face="Arial" size="3"]Okay, I was wrong- it can get stupider. Heaven forbid we express any patriotism. [/font][font face="Arial" size="3"]
[/font]
[/p][hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][p align="left"][font face="Arial" size="3"]PATRIOTIC CLOTHING BAN[/font]
                         [font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="1"]Tuesday, April 04, 2006[/font][/p]                                                                                                                                    [font face="arial" size="2"]                 [/font][font face="arial" size="2"]A school in Southern California is implementing a ban on types of patriotic clothing. It comes after last week`s immigration protests sparked violence at many California schools including Oceanside High School. The school district says they simply want to ensure students have a peaceful learning environment at school. Besides certain clothing colors, the ban also applies to flags.[/font][/p]  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Trollio

TehBorken wrote:[font face="Arial" size="3"]
 Okay, I was wrong- it can get stupider. Heaven forbid we express any patriotism. [/font][font face="Arial" size="3"]
[/font]

I think that might have had something to do with the fact that the patriotism being expressed was for

Q:  Is that patriotism or an invasion?

How many people who are supposedly trying to express their "love" for the place where they supposedly want to stay, hit the streets with the flags of any other nation but the one they have come to? What does that say about their goals?

I'm not American myself, but this ain't your grandfather's Oldsmobile. Back then immigrants came in and said "I want to join your society and become a part of it." Today the statement is  "I am coming into your society and you had better accept my culture in it."

If American students respond to that statement with a massive show of patriotism, it's only to be expected.

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

TehBorken

Basically, the unspoken statement they're making is "don't express any support or pride for your own country" even though we're all supposed to be going "Rah rah rah, USA!".

And if you don't, then you're "unpatriotic".

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gopher

Patriotic clothing? I must examine my wardobe. I had no idea that my clothes had political views.

TehBorken wrote:
Basically, the unspoken statement they're making is "[SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]don't express any support or pride for your own country[/SPAN]" even though we're all supposed to be going "Rah rah rah, USA!".

And if you don't, then you're "unpatriotic".

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Trollio

Gopher wrote:
 Patriotic clothing? I must examine my wardobe. I had no idea that my clothes had political views.
You'd be surprised. I'm constantly arguing with my Italian suits, who are always defending Mussolini over the Matteotti affair.
[/p]

— bebu

CK

I thought it was American's duty to wrap their bodies and houses in patriotism?

I am so confused?

tenkani

People have trouble seperating symbols from the values they supposedly stand for.

The fact that someone would beat the shit out of someone else (or worse) for burning a piece of cloth or drawing a cartoon tells me we are not long for this world.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Schadenfreude

"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Schadenfreude

"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

tenkani

Sweeet!!

LOL. Hey, why is it that people got so pissed off about American flag toilet paper, but you can have an American flag thong??

soapbox

let's see if i have this right.

protests in california (students supporting cue jumpers and illegals) have resulted in a school taking action to ban patriotic clothing worn by it's students.

this is in the name of not offending whom?   those who are not american?  or is it really just a race issue that elements in the "protest community" have managed to create for themselves.

white does not equal american,therefore,why would it be offensive to those (white or non-white) who seek to wear patriotic clothing? what are the parametres and measurements of what is patriotic and what is not?

so,fearing to offend those in the "we might be offended category" the school has now chosen not to allow pro-usa clothing.

?????

Trollio

Well, it's kind of like this:

1. The issue is about the right of people who entered into another nation illegally to stay there as if they are not in violation of the law.

2. The goal of such people (you would think) would be to convince the citizens of that country to accept the allegedly good intentions of those illegal immigrants in being in that country.

3. In supposedly attempting to realize that goal, groups of people demonstrated in the streets with the flags of their own nations, not the one in which they are currently residing illegally.

That could be considered flaunting your illegal status before the authorities in an open act of defiance against the law of a nation that is not even yours. In a less apathetic, less television-driven era, this kind of action was considered to be hostile and occasionally called sedition.

However you feel about the issue of immigration, that was not the most intelligent thing to do. It literally screams, "We are not you, we will never be you, and we do not want to be you. We only want to benefit from you."

Expecting a welcome committee after that is just not realistic.

— bebu

Sportsdude

I'm not a fan of patriotism, well american patriotism to put it bluntly same with american nationalism. Why? Because its utterly stupid. So in this case I support banning the 'Patriotic clothing" due to the sensitivities of illegal immigration issue which is what this is about anyway.

American Patriotism isn't patriotism its just another one of the many symbols that had meaning until the far right took it and exploited it until it became worthless.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

tenkani

Trollio I have to agree with the spirit of your post for the most part. I have conflicting feelings about illegal immigration, but one thing I'm sure of, if your attempting to demonstrate that your community is a productive and non-threatening part of American society (part of, not something seperate), waving around flags from your country of origin is counter-productive.

On the other hand, it's honest. I live in a hotbed of undocumented Mexican immigrant activity and have a close friend who used to work in social services. From what I've heard, a significant portion of undocs are here to work and make money (usually sending a large portion of it back to their families in Mexico). They aren't here to become American. They're here to make a living and so naturally feel a great deal of loyalty towards their own nation.

Let's be real, they're not exactly welcomed with open arms here. They're seen as either pests or a necessary evil by most Americans, so a certain lack of love for America is not surprising.  

tenkani

I'm not a fan of patriotism either. Symbols don't mean much to me. On the other hand, I love the freedoms guaranteed to us by our constitution and so banning clothes, books and what have you just strikes me as wrong.

People who wave the flag tend to irritate me, but I fully support their right to do so.