Time to get me a Mac: Apple makes Macs run Windows XP

Started by Sportsdude, Apr 05 06 04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[DIV class=logo][img height=34 alt="BBC NEWS" src="http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/printer_friendly/news_logo.gif" width=163]

[DIV class=headline]Apple makes Macs run Windows XP [/DIV]Apple has released software that lets users run Microsoft's operating system on its computers that use Intel chips. Called Boot Camp the program lets Mac owners run both Apple's OSX and Microsoft's Windows XP.   A trial version of the software is now available so users can install it. Future versions of Apple's OSX software will include the program.   The release follows efforts by hackers to get Windows XP booting up on Macs that use Intel chips.   [DIV class=bo] Core war Apple said it had no plans to sell or support Windows but added that many Mac owners have said they want to run the operating system on their Intel-using machine.   "We think Boot Camp makes the Mac even more appealing to Windows users considering making the switch," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing in a statement.   Apple first announced a series of Mac machines that would use Intel chips in June 2005 and the first computers started shipping in January 2006.   When Boot Camp is run it takes users through a series of steps that shows them how to split their hard drive so the two operating systems can sit side-by-side.   It also shows how to make a boot disk to install the Windows XP operating system.   When a machine with the two operating systems is turned on, Boot Camp gives them the option to start either OSX or Windows XP.   Apple said it was only releasing a trial version of Boot Camp available for a limited amount of time. Finished versions of Boot Camp will be available in the next version of OSX, called Leopard, that is due to be previewed in August.   Basic requirements for an Intel-based Mac that can run Windows XP are: OSX version 10.4.6 or later, latest firmware updates, 10GB of hard disk space, blank recordable CD or DVD and a single disc edition of Windows XP Home or Professional.   By releasing Boot Camp, Apple is hoping to cash in on the interest generated by its iconic iPod music player. The dual booting system could let users run Windows to play games but use Mac applications for everything else.   The release of Boot Camp comes only weeks after two hackers managed to get Windows XP running on an Intel-based Mac themselves. The pair won a $13,000 (£7,405) prize for their trouble.     What do you think of the new software? Are you a PC user thinking of switching to a Mac? Would this make a difference to you?  

[DIV class=footer]Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/technology/4880022.stm

Published: 2006/04/05 13:46:36 GMT

© BBC MMVI

[DIV class=footer]

[DIV class=footer] [img height=152 alt="Screenshot of Boot Camp, Apple" hspace=0 src="http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41526000/jpg/_41526074_bootcamp-apple203.jpg" width=203 border=0]  [DIV class=cap]The software walks users through the installation process[/DIV][/DIV]

[DIV class=footer]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

tenkani

Um...I'm a little confused. The primary advantage of Macs has been ease of use, which is usually linked to the "intuitive" OS. Why would I spend more for a Mac and then install Windows on it? It seems like the worst of both worlds

Expensive, difficult to upgrade hardware

An unreliable OS that's full of security holes

Am I missing something?
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

I think they are going after the 'office crowd'. Basically what I've been told by a rep at the Mac store is that they are becoming two things. An alternative to PC, and now a Computer company that runs Windows i.e. Dell, HP, Sony, Gateway, etc.

tenkani

I just don't get it. The best thing about Macs is the OS, or so the fans keep telling me.

Hey, why don't we have cooler looking mass-prodcued PC cases???

I mean, the Alienware stuff is nice, but why don't we have cases that look like lamps and plastic cubes??

Sportsdude

Thats what the rep also said, why get a mac if its going to have intel?

tenkani

LOL. I remember when they let a company start to produce "generic Macs" or whatever the f*ck they were called. The idea was to have all the great stuff about a Mac for cheaper!! That lasted what...six months?

I don't want to buy a machine where a single company has a monopoly on the hardware it can use, and where my choices are limited to what they decide I need.

TehBorken

This is like buying a Ferrari and then replacing the engine with one from a lawnmower.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.