All the good names are taken

Started by TehBorken, Apr 04 06 09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

As a web developer, I can attest to the fact that nearly all the good names are taken. [hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"] [h3]What parts of the .COM space are registered?         [/h3]You've thought up a brilliant idea for a new Web 2.0, AJAX-enabled web app, or you're about to release a thus-far-unnamed killer software app. Now you just need to find the perfect domain name for it to live at (and, in true new-economy fashion, you'll base your corporate name upon whatever available domain name you find).

You pull up GoDaddy and start punching in clever names, along with their many variations, only to find that they're all seemingly taken.

"This can't be!" you cry. "Has every possibility already been registered?"

Given that there are approximately 50 million .COM domains registered, it is indeed true that the low-hanging fruit domain names are overwhelming taken, and your chances of lucking upon an unnoticed available three-letter acronym (TLA) are close to zero, and your only recourse would be to haggle with domain speculators.

This is a great roundup of how many of which sort of domain has been taken -- every combination of up to three letters in .COM is taken and there're precious few four-character .COMs remaining. Most of these domains are "parked" and unused. The most popular domain-length is 11 characters, and there are 538 63-character domains registered, including DIDYOUKNOWTHATYOUCANONLYHAVESIXTY-THREECHARACTERSINADOMAIN-NAME.com.

Also in the survey is data about how many of the names found in the US Census are taken (all the male names, all but a few of the female names and all 10,000 of the top surnames). The survey goes on and on, with data on how much of the "ILOVE_____.com" space is taken, which characters are most commonly found at the start of domain names, and so forth.

If you want one of the 676 possible two-letter sequences, for instance for an acronym or abbreviation, you're out of luck: They're all taken. Even allowing for digits, giving 1296 combinations, again every single variation is taken. [/p] Of course, that's ignoring the fact that .COM registrars now mandate a 3-character minimum length, so it wouldn't be an option anyways.[/p] Of the 17,576 possible three-letter sequences, again every single one is already taken. Adding digits to the mix (note that I'm intentionally ignoring obtuse dashes for such short domain names, though technically they are legal from the second character onwards), giving 46,656 permutations, yields a larger number of garbage domain entries (either REGISTRAR-LOCKED, REDEMPTIONPERIOD, or with no nameservers), giving a false hope of 228 seemingly open domains, yet they aren't actually available. [/p] If you're dying to acquire great domains like [em]8VZ.com[/em] or [em]Q6X.com[/em], they'll free up within a month, though it seems evident that there are swaths of domain speculators acquiring every variant when they come available, so they won't go without a fight.[/p] Stepping up to four letter sequences, choosing among the 456,976 combinations, yields a vastly greater availability -- perhaps the set is a bit too large for domain speculators and their unlikely success with random sequences -- with 97,786 showing as open. A quick check verifies that most are legitimately available. "Choice" domains, such as [em]AGJV.com[/em], [em]EIYK.com[/em], [em]GZVW.com[/em], and [em]QFEV.com[/em]. Adding digits into the mix and there are a massive 1.16 million open domains, so long as you're looking for something like [em]7RG8.com[/em], or [em]U3JZ.com[/em]. Choose one and then manufacture a ridiculous backronym to explain it.[/p] Going to 5-letter sequences (yet another five-letter acronym? YAFLA?), and of course the possibilities are rich, again presuming that you're willing to accept an arbitrary sequence of letters and/or digits, creating a backronym to match. Using just letters you have a rich 11,881,376 possibilities, of which approximately 11,015,028 are unclaimed.[/p] [a href="http://www.yafla.com/dforbes/2006/03/29.html"]Link[/a]  Via waxy.org  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Trollio

I was there early, and got a few good ones. But I really detest the fact that there are so many "dead" names (names that go to no real site of interest, just a link page or a "buy this domain" page) just being held by these idiots. There are people who have been holding on to names for years, some of whom are a bunch of dumb rubes who think that someone is going to at long last come along and make them a millionaire by buying a domain name they managed to grab.

Don't even get me started on Network Solutions.

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Sportsdude

"All the good names are taken"

Nissan USA found this out when they wanted to start a nissan.com web page. But alas there was a nissan computer corp who already took the name, Nissan filed a lawsuit and I believe lost. So they are nissanusa.com but in the rest of the world its nissan.(country code).
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Trollio

Exactly. There are so many ways around someone else having the name you want, that no one is going to pay one of these idiots a goldmine for their stupid squat on your name. Those days were brief, and are now over in about 99% of the cases.

A major entity could have come to me at any time to ask for a particular name I had (and was using), but they simply benefited from the expansion of allowed characters and went a different way. These are people I know and am on good terms with, and they have never once asked me for the name I had.

What the rubes fail to understand is that it is much easier to use $100,000 on an ad campaign for your new, unique domain name, than to give it to their stupid ass or to spend it on lawyers.

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

TehBorken

Trollio wrote:
There are so many ways around someone else having the name you want, that no one is going to pay one of these idiots a goldmine for their stupid squat on your name. Those days were brief, and are now over in about 99% of the cases.

DiscoverSeattle.com = $50,000 "minimum"

DiscoverSeattle.net = $7.95

Guess which one I picked, and why, lol.

What the rubes fail to understand is that it is much easier to use $100,000 on an ad campaign for your new, unique domain name, than to give it to their stupid ass or to spend it on lawyers.

That's usually true. There are exceptions, but the intrinsic importance of domain names is becoming less and less important. Most people don't give a damn what the name is, and they click on a link to get there so it's not like they have to spell it. Mindshare of a name is good to have and established traffic is good to have, but paying huge $$$ for a name these days is more uncommon than not.

I own quite a few short domain names (3 and 4 letters) that probably would be worth something, but I don't know if I want to develop them or what. If Lexus keeps on making the Q-series automobiles, I might be in a bit of luck, lol. :)

Sportsdude

Does that website discoverseattle even exist?
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
Does that website discoverseattle even exist?

It's registered but it's not even parked anywhere. Go ahead and write them and ask how much they want for the domain name:

Elan Amram:  [email protected]

I'm curious to know if they still want $50,000 for it.