Seafood Fajitas

Started by Orik, Jul 09 12 06:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Orik

Seafood Fajitas are a wonderful treat & they are great for family gatherings. You can easily adjust the amount of ingredients for the number of people you will need to feed & you can adjust the amount of spice that is added.

The basic rule as I understand it is between 4 to 6 ounces of meat per person and 4 tortilla wraps per person. As for the rest of the volume that's up to the people & the sides you place out for them to add . The recipe I provided will easily feed 4-6 people.  Even more if you double the ingredients list.

Fajitas are a reasonably healthy choice for your family & Providing all the ingredients you buy are fresh while being cooked with very little oil. For a healthy choice to this dish,  buy all the ingredients fresh from one of the china town seafood stores as for veggies I pick them up at sunrise market for cheap I often use olive oil to cook with.

If you don't like Hash Browns you can easily substitute them with 4-6 cups of steamed Jasmin rice instead

The Ingredients & items you will need

2 frying pans
16 fajitas wraps

1 large red pepper
1 large green pepper

clean them by removing all seeds wash & rinse then prepare them by then slicing them into thin long strips

1 medium shallot
1 medium onion
washed & peel them then to prepare them by slice them into long thin pieces

3 cups dehydrated hash browns

I use Golden Grill Myself.  Once re-hydrated they will make approximately 5 cups of hash browns.

If using Fresh Potatoes you will need to peel them & boil them until they are semi tender plus you will need to have enough fresh potatoes to fill approximately 6 cups of them once shredded in to hash browns

You will need to rehydrate the 3 cups of dehydrated hash browns about 20 minutes prior to your cooking them. To quickly re-hydrate the dehydrated hash browns Pour boiling water on them till it just covers the top of the hash browns. Cover & let sit on the counter to rehydrate (it should take 15-20 minutes)

2 Can's Smoked Muscles

Make sure you get the ones packed in oil & not brine. Save the oil from the Smoked Muscles to grease your frying pan.

2 Cans packed in water Oysters

Drain and rinse your oysters. (make sure you don't buy the ones packed in oil or brine)

Place oysters and muscles in a cup of iced water to soak for 5 minutes prior to cooking, then Drain the muscles & oysters through a sieve.

You should have 3 table spoons of a orange fat & oil from the smoked muscles. If you don't have at least 3 table spoons worth top up with Canola oil. Some people like Olive oil but for myself I prefer to use some pork fat that I save from whenever I cook pork belly. If you don't have the pork fat or oil mentioned then pretty much any cooking oil will do.

In one pan Cook your shallots onions & peppers in 15 ml of oil till they are tender now Add your oysters & muscles & Fajitas sauce.

I use 1 packet of Western Family 35 Gram Fajitas Seasoning Mix mixed with 50 ml or a 1/4 a cup of water

Let  the muscles oysters & vegetables simmer for 4-6 minutes Your veggies should be very tender & all the orange fat on the muscles will have finished melting & be mixed into the Fajitas sauce.

While that is simmering

You should be on your stove with the other frying pan which should have added to it those the 3 tablespoons of saved muscle oil add 1 drop of water to test it. If the oil spits and hisses like a enraged snake it is now hot enough to add your hash browns

Frying the hash browns will take all of 6 to 8 minutes, when the edges of the hash browns turn a nice dark golden colour they are done.

Remove both items from heat

place hash browns on a large plate & top them with your Fajitas sauce consisting of your veggies muscles & oysters.  You can serve directly as is dividing it up to 4 large plates or 6 small plates with a couple of Fajita wraps on each plate

I like to Fluff & Mix the fajitas sauce mix with the hash browns using a couple of forks then I place into the center of 12 soft Fajitas wraps a few table spoons of the mix into each Fajitas wrap.

I like to serve them on the plates opened up & served with the following sides in the center of the table for others to add as they please

1 side of Diced tomatoes (I like Hunt's Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano)
1 side of Shredded lettuce (Personnel preference is Vancouver's Leafy Lettuce)
1 bottle of Louisiana hot sauce  (great for flavor plus it's a mild heat so pretty much everybody can enjoy it)
1 bottle of Tabasco sauce Great for a ton of heat perfect for those who like it spicy hot
1 side of sour cream (My Personnel preference is to use Garlic ranch)
1 side of mixed Black Beans
1 Side of Corn Niblets
1 side of Shredded Armstrong cheddar cheese (Medium).   

Done this way those you can easily serve 6-10 people

Or it will make 1 for dinner today, 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner tomorrow with a whole lot left over for the freezer which can be taken out & reheated via the Microwave whenever one is hungry & does not want to spend any time cooking something.

You can replace the oysters and Muscles with Chicken, beef or Pork. or with any thing else you please. 

I love using Salmon & Shrimp  or better yet is fresh red snapper and tiger prawns
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Natasha

Sounds delicious but I'm not a big seafood fan. I prefer meat.

Gopher

Eagerly awaiting DDD's reply to this.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Natasha

:D  I'm surprised he hasn't gotten to it yet.

DDD

LOL I read that and just walked away  :-X
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!