Save The Internet

Started by Gopher, Jan 18 12 11:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet_action_center_b/?cUKEcab (http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet_action_center_b/?cUKEcab)
A fool's paradise is better than none.

DDD

why is it going away  :o
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

TehBorken

Quote from: DDD on Jan 18 12 11:55why is it going away  :o

Please see the link or the top of almost every page on this site.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

DDD

Just being a smart ass.

I do not think they will get away with this and does it apply to outside USA?

Gopher

Up to all of us to make sure it's kept in its present form.

Russ

I went to a site that's collecting signatures and letter writing campaign.
It was mostly for citizens, but there was a collection of signatures and names for foreign nationals that protested this as well on a different list.
I signed up to protest it. Not that it will matter, but at least I did soemthing.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Gopher

Very much how I felt as well, Russ.

TehBorken

Senator Patrick Leahy says, "The PROTECT IP Act will not affect Wikipedia, will not affect Reddit, and will not affect any website that has any legitimate use."

Do not believe this for one second. The way the bill is written, ANY site that even *links* to a site accused of infringement can be shut down.

What that means is that if you put a link here to a site that someone claims is "infringing", then THIS site can be censored and taken down.

And all you have to do is claim there's infringement- no proof is required, no court hearing needed, no due process, nothing. Just the accusation is enough.

Yeah, no way that could be abused, right? Certainly not by Hollywood, or corporations, or competitors, or random cranks on the internet. Yeah, that would never happen.

And of course the government would never, ever use that power to stifle dissent, suppress information, or to punish people or groups it doesn't like.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

DDD

Hey there's infringement here on my LAST WORD;)

DDD

McLEAN, Virginia - One of the world's most popular file-sharing sites was shut down, and its founder and several company officials were accused of facilitating millions of illegal downloads of films, music and other content.
A federal indictment Thursday accused Megaupload.com of costing copyright holders at least $500 million in lost revenue. The indictment was unsealed one day after websites including Wikipedia and Craigslist shut down in protest of two congressional proposals intended to make it easier for authorities to go after sites with pirated material, especially those with overseas headquarters and servers.
The news of the shutdown seemed to bring retaliation from hackers who claimed credit for attacking the Justice Department's website. Federal officials confirmed it was down Thursday evening and that the disruption was being "treated as a malicious act."
A loose affiliation of hackers known as "Anonymous" claimed credit for the attack. Also hacked was the site for the Motion Picture Association of America and perhaps others.
Megaupload is based in Hong Kong, but some of the alleged pirated content was hosted on leased servers in Ashburn, Virginia, which gave federal authorities jurisdiction, the indictment said.

DDD

What a life style this guy had  :'(

The founder of online file-sharing website Megaupload argued in a New Zealand court Monday he was innocent on charges of internet piracy and money laundering and said authorities were trying to portray the blackest picture of him.
Kim Dotcom, a German national, also known as Kim Schmitz, argued for bail saying through his lawyer that he posed no threat of absconding or restarting his businesses.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/22/megauploads-kim-dotcom-tells-new-zealand-court-he-is-innocent/ (http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/22/megauploads-kim-dotcom-tells-new-zealand-court-he-is-innocent/)