Men, I need your suggestions pleeeeease

Started by Natasha, Jan 09 12 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Natasha

My breaker kept kicking off this morning. Any ideas as to why this would happen?
It was making this loud buzzing sound. Everytime I'd reset it, it would stay on for about 15/20 mins then kick back off. This happened several times. Finally, I just wiggled everything  ;D  probably not that smartest thing to do but the buzzing stopped and breaker stayed on.... so far anyway.

TehBorken

Which/what breaker? One in your main breaker box, or...? What does the breaker control?

Quote from: Natasha on Jan 09 12 11:35
My breaker kept kicking off this morning. Any ideas as to why this would happen?
It was making this loud buzzing sound. Everytime I'd reset it, it would stay on for about 15/20 mins then kick back off. This happened several times. Finally, I just wiggled everything  ;D  probably not that smartest thing to do but the buzzing stopped and breaker stayed on.... so far anyway.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

DDD

Replace it the breaker is worn out
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Natasha

Quote from: TehBorken on Jan 09 12 12:59
Which/what breaker? One in your main breaker box, or...? What does the breaker control?
Yes, the main breaker box.

Natasha

Quote from: DDD on Jan 09 12 01:35
Replace what? Then entire thing? Or just the one switch that was buzzing?

Natasha

And more questions....
If I'm having problems with an outlet in my LR would that affect whatever is happening with the breaker box?
Do I have to replace the outlet in my LR too?
If so, what do I do until then? Just unplug the lamp and not use that outlet til it's fixed?

DDD

Quote from: Natasha on Jan 09 12 02:10
And more questions....
If I'm having problems with an outlet in my LR would that affect whatever is happening with the breaker box?
Do I have to replace the outlet in my LR too?
If so, what do I do until then? Just unplug the lamp and not use that outlet til it's fixed?

Generally no the buzzing is an age thing.

Now if the breaker is going all the time can be related to the outlet or how the building was wired.

Too many oulet on one circuit

Quote from: DDD on Today at 01:35 pm (http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,7752.msg172642.html#msg172642)
  Replace what? Then entire thing? Or just the one switch that was buzzing?      No just the one buzzing      If it is an old panel with old breakers and it was mine i would replace the whole thing as its not that much cash plus I have two cuz's that are elec so no labor costs           

DDD

But check 1st as sometimes connections come loose and cause the noise cheap fix tighten everything up.

This happens from expansion and contraction of everything as wire / fittings do heat up / cool off

Natasha

Ok so will I have to call an electriction at any point for any of this? 
What's a sign that I should keep an eye out for so I know I HAVE to call someone?

DDD

Quote from: Natasha on Jan 09 12 03:09
Ok so will I have to call an electriction at any point for any of this? 
What's a sign that I should keep an eye out for so I know I HAVE to call someone?

If it keps it up but any person can tighten things up just be careful turn off power coming into your home or at the panel just remmember its still hot / live has power will hurt

You can pull the breaker out and put a new one in with no help

If they are the screw in type replace panel period IMO

Good sign keeps pulling buzzing keeps on all the time time to call elec

Natasha

DDD

Natasha

Pics of the breaker box..... you got it!!

Russ

Im with DDD.

A breaker buzzing or constantly tripping could be a number of things.

Loose connections causing a heat buildup of higher resistance causing the breaker to heat up and trip.
A loose wire causing a short or a ground.
A breaker slowly wearing out due to its age and higher load.. like the load from your LR. Maybe theres too many consumers on that circuit.. how many doublers do you have on your outlets? Many 6 plug splitters?
Over time a breaker WILL wear out with a higher than average amperage running through it. It will become weak and with the higher heat will constantly trip.

Like DDD said, check the wire connections with a screw driver to your breaker, the connections on the other end of the wires your breaker goes to (hopefully yours are labelled. My panel was changed out in the past and when the new one was put in, they just hooked up the wires to the breakers so its a crapshoot to see which is which.) Change the breaker out. Like DDD said, Turn off the big breaker with teh power to your panel to make it dead. Just be aware when you turn it back on, depending on what power consumers you have in your house, you might have to reset things like your ac, furnace, etc.
When I do things like that, I wear gloves, check with a multimeter to make sure theres no power to the circuit, then go at it. If you cant use or get a multimeter, you can get those power pencils which you can touch to outlets or your wires in your breaker box, and if it lights up theres power.

If you dont feel comfortable with this.. get a friend or an electrician to help you.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

HI RUSS !!!!!

Natasha, I wouldn't waste any time having it looked at.  You might be able to keep an eye on it, but there is no way to know what is going on behind your walls.  That's how fires can start.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

|