Men, I need your suggestions pleeeeease

Started by Natasha, Jan 09 12 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I'm not really a man, but I thought I'd post my comments anyways.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Hi PC!!

Ha! Comment away.
I am tending to agree. Its the contactor, but what was the cause of it? It could cause a fire with loose or frayed wires.

Do you want to take that chance?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Natasha

Quote from: Russ on Jan 09 12 05:56
A loose wire causing a short or a ground.
I wondered about that with the LR outlet. The only thing connected is the lamp. I unplugged it every night so when the breaker was kicking off, that outlet wasn't being used. However, I've noticed over the past few days that when I plug the lamp back into the outlet I can either hear a small buzz noise or see actual blue sparks.

QuoteA breaker slowly wearing out due to its age
I've been in this house for 10 yrs. Before that, it sat unattended for many years. How many years does a breaker usually last?
QuoteMany 6 plug splitters?
I have at least 1 in all three bedrooms and 1 in the LR that's only because I don't have many outlets to begin with.... which I hate! Oh and the lamp isn't connected to a splitter. It's runs straight into the outlet on the wall.

QuoteOver time a breaker WILL wear out with a higher than average amperage running through it.
How do I find out what average my breaker should be running?

QuoteLike DDD said, check the wire connections with a screw driver to your breaker, the connections on the other end of the wires your breaker goes to (hopefully yours are labelled.
Yes, mine are labeled.
QuoteChange the breaker out. Like DDD said, Turn off the big breaker with teh power to your panel to make it dead. Just be aware when you turn it back on, depending on what power consumers you have in your house, you might have to reset things like your ac, furnace, etc.
When I do things like that, I wear gloves, check with a multimeter to make sure theres no power to the circuit, then go at it. If you cant use or get a multimeter, you can get those power pencils which you can touch to outlets or your wires in your breaker box, and if it lights up theres power.
I definitely doubt I'll being do this alone but I do think I'll hang around to see what I can learn and I intend to get one of those power pencils.... they sound safer.

Natasha

Quote from: P.C. on Jan 09 12 06:27
Natasha, I wouldn't waste any time having it looked at.  You might be able to keep an eye on it, but there is no way to know what is going on behind your walls.  That's how fires can start.
How does one "keep an eye" on something like this?
You're right, I don't know what's going on behind my walls but imo, I'm at a higher risk of a housefire if I don't have it looked at.

Natasha

Quote from: Russ on Jan 09 12 06:40
I am tending to agree. Its the contactor, but what was the cause of it? It could cause a fire with loose or frayed wires.

Do you want to take that chance?
I'd rather not  :)

DDD

My breaker is fixed!!  Now my plumbing is acting up  >:(

How you fix it and whats wrong with the plumbing?
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Natasha

Quote from: DDD on Jan 11 12 01:17
My breaker is fixed!!  Now my plumbing is acting up  >:(

How you fix it and whats wrong with the plumbing?
Breaker- something needed to be tightened up and a few other things needed to be replaced.
Plumbing- I have no clue. I occassionally have a wet floor and water in the tub  ::)

Sportsdude

Quote from: Natasha on Jan 09 12 11:35
My breaker kept kicking off this morning. Any ideas as to why this would happen?
It was making this loud buzzing sound. Everytime I'd reset it, it would stay on for about 15/20 mins then kick back off. This happened several times. Finally, I just wiggled everything  ;D  probably not that smartest thing to do but the buzzing stopped and breaker stayed on.... so far anyway.

What's a breaker? ....

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

DDD

Circuit breakers are an essential safety component in any home electrical system

DDD

Quote from: Natasha on Jan 11 12 06:18
Breaker- something needed to be tightened up and a few other things needed to be replaced.
Plumbing- I have no clue. I occassionally have a wet floor and water in the tub  ::)

Plug in your main line.............or in the home

Have your main line out to the city hook up to the sewer cleaned and if you can afford it have them video it as this way you will know what you are dealing with

Sportsdude

Quote from: DDD on Jan 12 12 08:46
Circuit breakers are an essential safety component in any home electrical system

Ah yes, circuit breakers. For whatever reason I was thinking about cars last night.

DDD

Quote from: Sportsdude on Jan 12 12 12:00
Ah yes, circuit breakers. For whatever reason I was thinking about cars last night.

I was thinking about women last night...............think you need to get out  ;D

Natasha

Quote from: DDD on Jan 12 12 08:54

Plug in your main line.............or in the home

Have your main line out to the city hook up to the sewer cleaned and if you can afford it have them video it as this way you will know what you are dealing with

Main sewer lines are the largest drains in a home. All other household drains lead to the main sewer line. The main sewer runs underground from the house and connects to a city sewer line or a septic tank. Your main sewer line can become clogged from the debris those other household drains wash into it or by tree roots that penetrate pipe joints from surrounding soil.
If the main sewer line clogs, toilets and drains throughout your house will begin to backup. This is usually a very stressful situation for homeowners and it can happen at any time of the day or night. That's why Roto-Rooter is your 24 hour plumbing company.
A technician using a Roto-Rooter machine will cut through the clog and clean the main sewer pipe right down to its inner walls. If the technician has any indication there is a problem with the main sewer line, he may perform a video camera inspection (http://www.rotorooter.com/our-services/residential/video-camera-line-inspection) to determine if the pipe is damaged or corroded. The technician will share the video with the homeowner and present options for sewer line repair or replacement (http://www.rotorooter.com/our-services/residential/sewer-lines) if necessary.
We start on Sunday. I hope it all gets done quickly and everything can go back to normal soon.

Sportsdude

Quote from: DDD on Jan 12 12 12:39

I was thinking about women last night...............think you need to get out  ;D

As much as I would prefer "love-ins" to "read-ins" the latter and not the former consumes most of my life.

DDD

Quote from: Sportsdude on Jan 12 12 02:37
As much as I would prefer "love-ins" to "read-ins" the latter and not the former consumes most of my life.

You really, really, really need to get out

|