Boats

Started by Russ, Dec 25 11 07:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Hello.. I am trying to post a pic of my boat for all the requests that Ive had.. and I promised.

Add anything boat related to this thread, either yours, your friends, or any vessel you like.

Ill start adding info to this thread on what Im doing or done on my little project.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Russ

Well Crap. This isn't working. I do know the issue however.. operator issues.

DDD

This is a link to the web site of my boat (Searunner) except mines black but soon to be red i think.

http://www.hewescraft.com/mid-size-ocean-boats/searunner_boat?p=1.1.4.1 (http://www.hewescraft.com/mid-size-ocean-boats/searunner_boat?p=1.1.4.1)

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Russ

Ooh! Nice boat. In a way I wish I'd gotten something like that for easier access of it for fishing. Much nicer to handle and more made for fishing.

Reason I got the bigger boat, was my uncle was selling it. For what he put in and did to it, it was worth it. Also my grandfather bought it new, so its always been in the family. I honestly was looking at Grady Whites, was looking at a 272 or a marlin 300 series. Once every year or every other, group of us get together and launch from Port Hardy. then spend just over a week up in Rivers Inlet. So I required a boat that could sleep three, hold all of our junk and equipment, and had enclosed sleeping to keep all the no-see-um's that come looking for you to say hi at night up there.

Um, just noticed I didnt put up any specs on my beast.
2850 Bayliner Bounty. Registered length is 27'6", but its actually 30' when you include from the end of the leg to the stem of the bow rails.
Twin 5L ford marine engines, through transmissions to TR-II legs. Older but overbuilt for what was standard on those vessels.

Ive got a list of things I want to do to it, been collecting stuff for it too.

Install Anchor roller and windlass. Didnt come with one. As we anchor every day Im not hauling that thing every morning and evening in approx 100' of water.

New hotwater tank.. the one in there has been in for a long time, and when my uncle had it, he replaced three. Also as its 110V it will only work when on shore power or with a small genny. Im looking at buying a tankless propane on demand. I managed to find one that has a marine rating.. most people install ones without, just a household one. I can then remove the old that takes up alot of space in my engine room, and move it to a different location.

Battery Bank and Inverter. I bought one already, and bought the lug crimping tool for the cables needed. The wiring is a bit of a nightmare on there, as its old and the ends are getting corroded. Im going to replace most of the large cables, and the rest I will test then replace the ends to new waterproof standards. Currently theres no 110v unless generator or shore power. Im going to put a mount in the engine compartment for a 2kw portable like a honda, and install this inverter. I will generate 2.5kw of 110V from a 24V battery bank. Should be more than sufficient for my needs.
Ive bought all new 12VDC LED high brightness lighting for the interior, right now is all old lighting, and I dont have a clue where half of it is fed from. Also have doesnt work and if it does, sometimes blinks out due to bad connections.. Ill fix that.

Grey and Blackwater tank, need to get a smaller one, remove all the cabinets in the bathroom and install it underneath where there is a void space. Then plumb the toilet discharge adn the the sink drain into there. New legal requirements for small boats...

Lots of other things.. Ill list more as I do or think about them.

DDD

Grady Whites looked at them and no matter how old they are big $$$$$$$$$$$$ nice but way more than what i needed.

I use my boat as a quick ride from the public dock to my cabin on Pitt Lake.

Going to change out the top as I have never been happy with it (Red) and remove there label on the side yellow on the site.

Then polish the aluminum and add a rack for lights and gear.

BUT

I am thinking of selling my cabin after i drywall this year so if i do going for a jet boat all done out  :)

Russ

Quote from: DDD on Dec 30 11 09:41
Grady Whites looked at them and no matter how old they are big $$$$$$$$$$$$ nice but way more than what i needed.

I use my boat as a quick ride from the public dock to my cabin on Pitt Lake.

Going to change out the top as I have never been happy with it (Red) and remove there label on the side yellow on the site.

Then polish the aluminum and add a rack for lights and gear.

BUT

I am thinking of selling my cabin after i drywall this year so if i do going for a jet boat all done out  :)

Oh agree big time with grady's. They are insane money, I was actually looking at the ones being sold in oregon or cali due to the large differences in prices compared to the ones up here. I didnt like them due to their overall size compared to how many could sleep though.. most were two, and then three. With SS, myself, and already one with hopefully another it just wasnt going to work.

Yeah? sell your cabin? Why? I thought you loved it?

One of the rivercraft or whatever they are called? The aluminum ones with the jet drive, similar style to what your current one is? 

DDD

I do love my cabin but one neighbor has moved and it looks like the other might also.

Plus looking at something I can drive to as mine is only boat access. Only thing with this then is the drive time will be 2.5 hours both ways. The good thing is I can store the boat there and not at home. I have the same set up you have to cover the boat. This would then allow me to then move as finding a home that I can store the boat at is hard. Otherwise I would just be changing locations and not downsizing like I want to. So no point of moving then.

But there is another place on the other side of Pitt Lake that is for sale that has caught my eye.  LOL just time for a change in my life.

Russ

Why are they all selling? I would have thought with the soft market in recreational property they would hold a bit longer.

I must admit, after you mentioned Pitt Lake, I started looking there, never really looked at it before. But I agree with you.. it would be better to have car access, as well as boat access. I see over at a place called williams landing they have partial road access? Or at least plan to.

Have you had any problems with the canopy cover on your canopy? We have one years ago and were changing the cover once a year. With this one, I got the snow wires or whatever they are called, and also when I tied down the canopy, I put stretchable rope criss crossing all over the top to try to keep the top from flapping. Thats why I didnt add sides to it. I will see how it works like this.

DDD

Quote from: Russ on Jan 03 12 04:15
Why are they all selling? I would have thought with the soft market in recreational property they would hold a bit longer.

He bought land around from us and is building his dream cabin - home!

I must admit, after you mentioned Pitt Lake, I started looking there, never really looked at it before. But I agree with you.. it would be better to have car access, as well as boat access. I see over at a place called williams landing they have partial road access? Or at least plan to.

No access by car boat only and its all park around the whole lake so never will be.

The roads you see are for access to upper lands

Have you had any problems with the canopy cover on your canopy? We have one years ago and were changing the cover once a year. With this one, I got the snow wires or whatever they are called, and also when I tied down the canopy, I put stretchable rope criss crossing all over the top to try to keep the top from flapping. Thats why I didnt add sides to it. I will see how it works like this.

http://www.sliptube.com/pgsheds.html (http://www.sliptube.com/pgsheds.html)

Mine is like piture #18

I have had others but the covers are crap you have to buy the better material or you just have to replace every 4 years

Russ

Hey DDD,
yeah my brother has the same one, that design seems to be the best for being in the wind.
However when I checked it against how high and wide i needed for the front valence window around my command bridge.. it wasnt big enough, lol. I would need to raise it to almost the roof height of my house. Im sure the neighbors would complain then, especially the nutball behind me.. who is convinced I was the one that called city hall on him, when he enclosed his rear balcony and concreted his entire back yard. I didnt, more so cause I believe its his backyard, and the city is too intrusive on what you can do on your own property.

But I ended up adding 2' onto the canopy over my boat. On the driveway side I added the 2' extensions onto the poles, and on the garden side, I put round concrete pads then the poles up to the roof part. The garden is about 2' higher than the driveway. I had around 3-4" of clearance from my canopy to my valence window around the command bridge. They dont make them anymore.. and when I checked how much, it was custom order and almost 1500 for a damn piece of plexiglass.
I bought the canopy from Midland liquidators (i think. the one along kingsway not far from the canadian tire at kingsway and victoria).

Anyhow, I think I figured out what hotwater heater Im going to put in the boat.
http://www.precisiontemp.com/pt_rvmd_m500.html (http://www.precisiontemp.com/pt_rvmd_m500.html)
Its a bit big and more than I wanted, but otherwise I would have to run a generator to power an electric hotwater tank or on demand. The electric on demands that are marine rated, are from 2.5 to 3.5 kw. My inverter is 2.5kw/ surge of 3kw.. but the 2.5 is barely more than a trickle of lukewarm water. It says 33 deg f rise with a 0.5 gallon flow per minute. I pee more than that.
http://www.eemaxinc.com/EX2412M (http://www.eemaxinc.com/EX2412M)
So to have lots of on demand water, not have a noisy generator, Ill put in the tankless propane heater. with a 20lb propane bottle I could heat around 900 gallons of water..
Now to convince the wifey I need this. The three days of modifications and labour to install this unit is going to be the easy part.
The reason this one and not other cheaper ones.. is this is marine rated, the ONLY one. I cant install it where my old hotwater tank is.. thats in the engine compartment where theres odours of fuel vapours and such. The insurance company and inspectors might have some minor issues with open flames that suck air from the surroundings in that environment.

DDD

Russ I have been looking for a heater for my boat but no luck, you have any ideas remmember i have an outboard

Russ

I actually have been looking into this for a bit, lol.

I just managed to buy (he says he will hold it for me for a week), a propane heater with a 12VDC fan, marine rated.

I have one of those engine coolant heaters with a fan by the driver inside my cabin, but I dont like those, need the engine running. I also dont like running rubber lines all over my boat full of cooling water from my engine.. If I develop a leak at one of the hidden connections, it would be hard to notice before my engine loses coolant, overheats and cooks.

For you I would say propane or diesel heating is the best. Im leaning towards propane.
Electric would require an inverter and/ or a big bank of batteries, not really what you want. Unless you have your outboard running charging the batteries at a decent rate they will go dead relatively quick. Electric Heating is basically a big resistance, think of when you touch two wires together.. they get red and hot. That's a short.. which is basically all electric heating is, a controlled short. Big power consumption. (you probably know this Im just typing it out, just in case. For others reading this as well).
There's then two types; one is where you heat water in a heater, vent the exhaust over the side (safest with no chance of CO or CO2 poisoning if something goes wrong), or it directly heats air which circulates in your cabin.
I dont know the exact costs of these units.

What/ where exactly are you going to use heating? You going to enclose your cockpit area and heat that? Aluminum is a big heat sink. Do you want it permanently installed or semi portable? You can get those 12VDC camping ones with propane fired heat and 12VDC blower motor. You leave them outside your tent and they blow hot air in with dryer vent ducting. Because its portable, it doesnt have to be certified to be on your boat, and you can use it elsewhere if you need to. You dont leave it on your boat all the time during the summer, reducing the corrosion from the marine environment. I was actually thinking of doing something like this for my boat.

Hmm, lemme do so research here.

Russ

Heres the one I was looking at.

http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodihotventhp.html (http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodihotventhp.html)

Russ

Force 10 Cabin Heater, Marine Rated.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=24498&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50667&subdeptNum=50668&classNum=50672 (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=24498&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50667&subdeptNum=50668&classNum=50672)

Here's one on craigslist now:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/2747156463.html (http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/2747156463.html)

DDD

I just need it to defrost the windows and a little heat in the cabin but windows is the real need.

So far nothing that looks simple to deal with and i do not have a good area for that one.

Like to install under the dash and vent upwards. The old boat was great heat exchanger and the way you go. Nice and cheap plus so much heat you could keep the back open. Only thing no heat when engine cold but never slept on it so never cared