Learning Khmer (Cambodian)

Started by TehBorken, Nov 27 11 11:13

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

I'm trying to learn some basic Khmer (Cambodian) and it's hard. I mean, it's like a whole 'nother language. :(

Like, instead of saying "too much", they say "chee ra nah".
Instead of saying "let's go", they say "d'tou".
Instead of saying "hot monkey love", they say "s'vah rhoom-reh k'dow".

Why can't they just speak American, like everyone else?? Sheesh.

(As you may have guessed, I'm not good with languages.) :(

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Natasha

Why say "hot monkey love" at all? Just give the international sign for "sex". Make a circle with the fingers on your left hand. Make a fist with the right hand. Leave the index finger of the right hand pointed straight then ram the index finger in and out of the circle of the left hand  :D  totally simple!

Gopher

Surely it can't even be harder than Finnish?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

TehBorken

Quote from: Natasha on Nov 28 11 01:26Why say "hot monkey love" at all?

Sometimes it's too dark to see my hand gestures. ;)   

And when my wife asks what we're doing tonight, I can yell "S'vah rhoom-reh k'dow!" in a restaurant and no one's the wiser. :)

DDD

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Natasha

Quote from: TehBorken on Nov 28 11 04:00
Sometimes it's too dark to see my hand gestures. ;)   

And when my wife asks what we're doing tonight, I can yell "S'vah rhoom-reh k'dow!" in a restaurant and no one's the wiser. :)
:D  how romantic! 

Orik

Alam Ko Napaka Konti Taglog

I know a little bit of Tagalog

How similar are Khmer and Taglog ?
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

TehBorken

Quote from: Orik on Dec 04 11 12:22How similar are Khmer and Taglog ?

They're both spoken languages, but I think that's about as far as it goes.

Orik

8) Well I kind of guessed that they are both spoken languages.  ;D

Unlike the African Language which consists of sounds such as whistles & clicks. I am not sure how many words they actually use, but it sounds like a nightmare to learn to me. TheBorken you may wish to be thankful she does not speak the Damara language. I wish you good luck, good memory and ease while you learn K'hmer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMQ1Pkhf4QU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMQ1Pkhf4QU)

I can say this when it comes down to becoming fluent in another language, it is not a easy thing for me to do. The headaches and nosebleeds I get are no fun. I swear as soon as I learn something new in Tagalog, I end up forgetting something else. Then I have  to spend time relearning what I forgot only to forget something else..
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.