Shocking study

Started by TehBorken, Mar 11 11 04:28

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[font face="Verdana"]Unbelievable. Who knew??

"Women who post lots of photos of themselves on Facebook value appearance, need attention, study finds"
 [/font]Women who post loads of photos of themselves on their sites are  conveying some strong personal characteristics, according to new  research. These women are more likely to base their self-worth on  appearance and use social networking to compete for attention.

Let me be the first to say, "[big]NO SHIT, SHERLOCK[/big]"

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/10/news/la-heb-facebook-vanity-20110310

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Orik

There has been a derogatory couple of words in regards to that very fact finding study for many years now.. Atention Whores

What does the study say for those who hate posting photos of themselves and almost never use any of the social media network sites.

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

TehBorken

Orik wrote:
What does the study say for those who hate posting photos of themselves and almost never use any of the social media network sites.

The term for that is "tehborken-like".

I don't post pics of myself online. I don't do Facebook, Twitter, mySpace, Bebo, Linkedin, Classmates, Orkut, Stikam, etc etc etc. I don't have accounts on any of those places and I never will.

I got shit to do, I can't piss my time away 140 characters at a time, nor do I give a crap what other people are "doing right now". If I wanted to know, I'd call and ask. But honestly, I don't care what kind of donut you just ate or that you just got back from shopping, pissing, or watching some movie. In my humble opinion (which is waaaaaay better than anyone else's), Twitter is nothing more than internet confetti. It's what I'd I'd throw away if I was sweeping the floor of the internet.

Facebook, mySpace, Linkedin, etc: I don't want to "friend" people who I've never met and likely never will, just because someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone is their buddy's sister's neighbor's plumber's brother. 99.999 percent of it is mental-masturbation and, as mentioned, attention-whoring.

Classmates: The very last thing I want to do is "connect" with people from High School, unless it's through a sniper scope.. If there was a service that would prevent people from my old High School "connecting" with me, I'd pay for that shit.

And last but not least, "get off my lawn".

Orik

Brilliant! TehBorken just flaming brilliant.

I could not have said it better myself. I could even say that You stole the words right out of my mouth.  I honestly laughed out loud after reading that. I even found it so amusing I went back to reread it just so I could smile all over again.

However I myself do have a my-space that I log into maybe once a year and the people I befriended I actually knew in real life. Sadly I have not spoken to or kept in touch with those persons in many years now. It is sad some times just how time can cause former friendships to drift apart.

As for former Classmates I would be interested in seeing just where some of them went in there walks of life and as for others there is not a pit deep enough to throw them in.. I do not think I would want to see some of them ever again and I most definitely would not want to see them through the scope of a rifle I just may find myself far to tempted to pull the trigger if that did happen =D

It makes me wonder though did they do a study about those of us who go to one forum or another? What about those who just go to one to read it and occasionally post on some things from time to time ?

Take all of us who come here for instance. Just what would a study's findings say about all of us or about people just like us.. I wonder if some where in a study that is being done just what it does say about people like us who read and post on forums...

The next question I would have is this.. Just how many millions of dollars was spent to undertake that study & whose money did they waste in order to undertake it..

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Natasha

TehBorken wrote:
  Orik wrote:[BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic"][SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]What does the study say for those who hate posting photos of themselves and almost never use any of the social media network sites. [/SPAN]

The term for that is "tehborken-like".

I don't post pics of myself online.

Are there not pics of you, your son and your wife in that Cambodia thread?

I don't do Facebook, Twitter, mySpace, Bebo, Linkedin, Classmates, Orkut, Stikam, etc etc etc. I don't have accounts on any of those places and I never will.

I got shit to do, I can't piss my time away 140 characters at a time, nor do I give a crap what other people are "doing right now". If I wanted to know, I'd call and ask.

You have so much shit to do but yet you can keep a forum up and running? You can't piss away time 140 characters at a time but you CAN make long posts? You can tell us about your trip with pics and links included?  

But honestly, I don't care what kind of donut you just ate or that you just got back from shopping, pissing, or watching some movie.

Those things never interested me either. I think sites like Twitter are best used for keeping up on current world events.

In my humble opinion (which is waaaaaay better than anyone else's),

At least someone here thinks so  ;)

Twitter is nothing more than internet confetti. It's what I'd I'd throw away if I was sweeping the floor of the internet.

Facebook, mySpace, Linkedin, etc: I don't want to "friend" people who I've never met and likely never will, just because someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone is their buddy's sister's neighbor's plumber's brother. 99.999 percent of it is mental-masturbation and, as mentioned, attention-whoring.

All of it is attention whoring to a point. From every "this is what I ate for lunch" post. To every "look at where I went for my trip" post. Seems to me the moment ANYONE starts to ramble (regardless of the site they are on) that person could be called an attention whore.

Classmates: The very last thing I want to do is "connect" with people from High School, unless it's through a sniper scope.. If there was a service that would [SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]prevent[/SPAN] people from my old High School "connecting" with me, I'd pay for that shit.

Wow, you had some rough school years hu?

And last but not least, "get off my lawn".

Ok gosh, you could have at least said please...meanie!  

TehBorken

Natasha wrote:
Are there not pics of you, your son and your wife in that Cambodia thread?

Nope, none of me that I know of.

You have so much shit to do but yet you can keep a forum up and running? You can't piss away time 140 characters at a time but you CAN make long posts? You can tell us about your trip with pics and links included?  

Yep, I have time to do that because I don't piss it away typing 140-character tweets. Keeping a forum running isn't usually very time-consuming. Making a trip log like I did does take time, but most of the trip logs were written on the plane ride back. I can do a lot of writing in 14 hours.)

In an hour I could crap out 50 tweets that no one will ever read and that are pointless dribbles of shit, or I in that same hour could write something interesting, useful or funny (sometimes all 3). I know what I'd prefer to read so that's what I prefer to write. (And honestly, how many tweets ever get read a second time? None of them, that's how many, because it's difficult to say anything meaningful in 140 characters. Most people can't do it in a whole page.)

Those things never interested me either. I think sites like Twitter are best used for keeping up on current world events.
If that's the way you prefer to do it, more power to you.
[/p][p style="font-weight: bold;"]
[/p][p style="font-weight: bold;"]All of it is attention whoring to a point. From every "this is what I ate for lunch" post. To every "look at where I went for my trip" post. Seems to me the moment ANYONE starts to [em style="font-style: italic;"]ramble[/em] (regardless of the site they are on) that person could be called an attention whore.
[/p][strong style="font-weight: bold;"][/b] I didn't write the trip logs for attention, I wrote them because people expressed an interest (and some foolishly said they wanted to know more, lol).  I was happy to share. If I was doing it for attention there would have been lots of pictures of me. :)
[/p]
[/p][p style="font-style: italic;"]Wow, you had some rough school years hu?[/p][span style="font-weight: normal;"]No, school went fine for me. I just don't have any interest in revisiting 1976 or the people that I knew then. [/span]
[/p]
[/p][/p]Ok gosh, you could have at least said please...meanie!  
[/p]Dreadful old farts like me don't use that word much. Even when we do we don't really mean it.

[/p]      

P.C.

QuoteI don't do Facebook, Twitter, mySpace, Bebo, Linkedin, Classmates, Orkut, Stikam, etc etc etc. I don't have accounts on any of those places and I never will.

I got shit to do, I can't piss my time away 140 characters at a time, nor do I give a crap what other people are "doing right now". If I wanted to know, I'd call and ask. But honestly, I don't care what kind of donut you just ate or that you just got back from shopping, pissing, or watching some movie. In my humble opinion (which is waaaaaay better than anyone else's), Twitter is nothing more than internet confetti. It's what I'd I'd throw away if I was sweeping the floor of the internet.
[/b]

I feel exactly the same about Facebook, Twitter, mySpace and all the other ones (that I've never heard of), and I have the same amount of concern about what kind of donut someone ate, or even the fact that they ate one.  I DID register a Twitter account in the very beginning, but the truth is, I don't get it.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

I forgot to say, that I loved your Cambodia blog a ton and enjoyed every word.  I always said, with your writing style, you NEEEEED to write a book.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]I forgot to say, that I loved your Cambodia blog a ton and enjoyed every word.  I always said, with your writing style, you NEEEEED to write a book.[/div]
Thank you...I've thought about it. Maybe an ebook or something like that.

Gopher

Yes, good idea.
A fool's paradise is better than none.