Malawi: does new law ban farting?

Started by Gopher, Feb 04 11 07:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

[A href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12363852"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12363852[/A]  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Orik

I am sitting here laughing my ass off, I just finished reading that... I first thought it was a joke but then realized it is not joke at all.. It in effect could make farting in public against the law and those found responsible, can be charged with a misdemeanor... This should be a law on all elevators and enclosed spaces for sure...

[div class="story-body"]                        [span class="story-date"]     [span class="date"]4 February 2011[/span] [span class="time-text"]Last updated at [/span][span class="time"]04:51 ET[/span]   [/span]         [h1 class="story-header"]Malawi row over whether new law bans farting[/h1]                                                              [div class="caption body-narrow-width"]   [img]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51098000/jpg/_51098196_img_0202.jpg" alt="Man holding his nose" width="304" height="171"]      [span style="width: 304px;"]
The justice minister said local chiefs would deal with those caught breaking wind in public[/span]   [/div]                           [p class="introduction" id="story_continues_1"]Two  of Malawi's most senior judicial officials are arguing over whether a  new bill includes a provision that outlaws breaking wind in public.[/p]         Justice Minister George Chaponda says the new bill would criminalize flatulence to promote "public decency".[/p]         "Just go to the toilet when you feel like farting," he told local radio.[/p]         However, he was directly contradicted by Solicitor General  Anthony Kamanga, who says the reference to "fouling the air" means  pollution.[/p]         "How any reasonable or sensible person can construe the  provision to criminalizing farting in public is beyond me," he said,  adding that the prohibition contained in the new law has been in place  since 1929.[/p]         The Local Courts Bill, to be introduced next week reads: "Any  person who vitiates the atmosphere in any place so as to make it  noxious to the public to the health of persons in general dwelling or  carrying on business in the neighborhood or passing along a public way  shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."[/p]         Mr Chaponda, a trained lawyer, insists that this includes farting.[/p][a class="hidden" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12363852#story_continues_1"]Continue reading the main story here[/a][/div]

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Gopher

But how could they prove someone had farted? What would they use for evidence?

Orik

I Dunno gopher..

I have no idea how they would go about collecting evidence on how they would prove or disprove it.. I am not a lawyer or a judge making those decisions nor am I a police officer in Malawi. I am just a person reading what is written.. ( laughing my ass off about it) and in essence the wording of that bylaw could be considered to be including flatulence..

How they would go about proving said person is actually guilty of breaking said law is not my problem but it sure is a stinker of a problem for the prosecution...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

DDD

Gopher wrote:
 But how could they prove someone had farted? What would they use for evidence?[/DIV]
 Was not me it was him
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Natasha

Gopher wrote:
 But how could they prove someone had farted? What would they use for evidence?[/DIV]
 The one who smelt it, dealt it? That seems to be how the "who tooted" question is handled in my car when I'm hauling a bunch of kids around.

Gopher

They'll probably introduce special prosecution-free zones for the big noises.