This week I have been mainly hating

Started by Gopher, Nov 04 10 03:14

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

This week I have been hating that I dragged out a HUGE box of stamps.  (Sawdust's dad and grandfather were stamp collectors, but they weren't too big on the sorting and organizing).  I really have so much more that I should be doing.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

DDD

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Russ

Really D?

You are moving? Is it a better move or a necessary move? All the best in that!
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Tatertot

Broken umbrellas.  6 of them in my house, all broken.  Makes you wonder why I keep them.  

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

P.C. wrote:
This week I have been hating that I dragged out a HUGE box of stamps.  (Sawdust's dad and grandfather were stamp collectors, but they weren't too big on the sorting and organizing).  I really have so much more that I should be doing.    

From one packrat to another.. what useless interesting stuff do you have to trade? LOL, that way neither of us have to throw something out.

I can trade you say a rear end from a mid 80's toyota pickup (have four dont know from where), or I have some manual transmissions from some 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder toyota pickups or 4 runners.

Isis

Data account merging...ugh, why can't people just 'retrieve log in' and not make a brand new account 5 times.
If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please", then I'll say "no" because its shorter than "Yes"

Natasha

Russ wrote:
Now I buy cards, or just used the generic : to and from : on the gifts. As well as gift bags I store buy.
Its almost too easy now...
   As are most things these days. I think that's a big problem too. Everyone is so into the convenience factor that they forget the personal aspects keep people in tune with one another.

Gopher

I hate it when I get gift vouchers for Christmas.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Natasha

Those are good for those "hard to shop for" people or for those "too picky" people. Ugh, I can't stand people who are picky about the gifts they get. It's difficult to buy for them and if you do get them something they just complain it anyway. I have a few little ones in my family like that, so for them I give gift cards. I got tired of putting so much thought, consideration and money into their gifts just so they can bitch about it later. Odd thing is their parents are cool with this behavior. The parents say, the kids are just being honest. I decided this year I would go back to buying an actual gift for those kids and the dad flipped out over it. He went on about his kids prefer the gift cards or actual money so they can buy whatever THEY want and not put up with what someone INSISTS on THEM having. I told him it was too late cause I already bought the gifts, had them wrapped and the gifts were under the tree.

When did Christmas become just about the gift?

Russ

Gopher wrote:
<DIV>I hate it when I get gift vouchers for Christmas.</DIV>

Well.. its like what Natasha puts in a post below. Some people are hard to shop for.
If I can.. I will buy someone a gift. If I cant come up with something, or am running out of time (as it always seems to be), I will buy gift cards.

I will admit, I dislike getting gift cards myself. I tend to put them in a pile and forget about them until they expire. I have a stack of cards from over the years that Starfishie put all in one place and added up on me. It was around 600 dollars. I have some mcdonalds gift certificates dated 1986.
However, now she carries them in her purse and will 'remind' me constantly when we go out for dinner or go to buy something that we have something for this place or that.

Natasha

Russ

Natasha wrote:
<DIV>Those are good for those "hard to shop for" people or for those "too picky" people. Ugh, I can't stand people who are picky about the gifts they get. It's difficult to buy for them and if you do get them something they just complain it anyway. I have a few little ones in my family like that, so for them I give gift cards. I got tired of putting so much thought, consideration and money into their gifts just so they can bitch about it later. Odd thing is their parents are cool with this behavior. The parents say, the kids are just being honest. I decided this year I would go back to buying an actual gift for those kids and the dad flipped out over it. He went on about his kids prefer the gift cards or actual money so they can buy whatever THEY want and not put up with what someone INSISTS on THEM having. I told him it was too late cause I already bought the gifts, had them wrapped and the gifts were under the tree. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>When did Christmas become just about the gift?</DIV>

I completely agree with you Natasha. Its about the giving.. not what they want. You try your best to get them something they would like.
For that I would go out of my way to get them something... interesting.
I bought one of my relatives that always complained, and TOLD me when he returned my crummy gift, a bag of charcoal in front of the family. It was deathly quiet for a bit. His father made the comment to me that it wasnt very nice to do that, I explained in a loud voice so the rest of the family could hear why I did that. My mother was embarrassed, my Dad thought it was priceless. It took a couple of years till the tensions died down. I didnt notice.

Tatertot

Russ I think that was a great move!  I wish I had the guts to do something like that.  You're my new hero.   [input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"][!--Session data--][input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"][div id="refHTML"][/div]

Natasha

:)  Russ, what you did was classic  :)   Do you two get along now? Has the gift giving become more appreciative since then?  I'm not sure if that same tactic would work with kids though. This year, I know I wont have to worry about the oldest child because as his gift I payed half the deposit on this apartment, bought him kitchen ware, am giving him a bdrm suit and since he'll be moved in by Christmas I'm giving him my 2yr old Christmas tree and decorations. With the two younger kids I had them tell me three potential gifts they'd like to have. I picked one from their three to buy. This way I know they're getting something they like and want. I explained this to the kids and they were cool with it. I explained this to their father but he was still upset over me not giving his kids gift cards or straight out cash. I don't know, I suppose I'm just shocked at how a parent can mistake ungratefulness for honesty then pass that delusion on their children. If this plan doesn't work this year, I guess I'll have no choice but to go back to giving cards or cash  =(  

|