What Is The Weirdest Food U Have Eaten or wanted 2

Started by Orik, Sep 10 10 01:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Orik

I will try almost all foods at least once, it just depends on what is on the menu, there are some things I may not eat...

What is the weirdest food you have eaten Or what is the weirdest food you wish to try ?
Have you ever had a bad reaction to any kind of food, herb, or beverage before & if you did react strangely or otherwise, please describe what happened .

Snails,  I won't eat them again. It seems I am allergic. One kind I can eat  fine, the other kind nearly killed me my lips and throat swelled up and I  got all Flemmy & talk about ugly... Since I have no idea what kind  of snails they where, whether the fresh or salt variety I find it is  safer if I just avoid them..

Caterpillars very similar reaction to snails. Potentially lethal. So I will no longer eat them either.

When it comes to survival you eat what you have to, to survive.. But sometimes There's food I want to try just for the sake of having tried it.

Earth  worms are not bad just make sure you soak them in water to clean out  the earth, then fry them up even better if you can add a couple of eggs  now you got a nice breakfast..  Earth worms are like a crispy bacon..

Rotisserie cooked rabbit done on a apple wood camp fire this is still by far, the best damned meal I ever did eat..

I   have had snake fried with black pepper, rock salt and some Asian   spices had it with some guys at Hon's talk about delicious... And No that is not a regular menu item, it was just one of the fringe benefits   for working for the Chinese... Some awesome authentic meals.

I have had eel but found it very disgusting, very greasy as well this is why I found it a horrid meal, maybe if it had not been so greasy i could of enjoyed it more. but if it is always a greasy dish I am not sure how people can eat it very often.

Food's I still have to try

Rattle Snake
Grasshoppers
Locus
Thai spiced Tarantula deep fried till crispy supposed to be excellent
Balut
Possum
Alligator
Horse
100 year old egg =( problem is the potassium in them is to high, so I may not be able to try them
Prairie Oysters AKA Calf Testicles
Monkey but since the species are now so endangered this will never occur.

and so many other exotic and strange dishes..

Luzon in the philippines that is a barbecued pig.

a real authentic luau (sp) in Hawaii complete with the roasted baby piglets.

Dog in Thailand Vietnam & the Philippines, not sure if those countries prepare or serve cat.. Cat & Dog in china.. then there is one other item Field Rats the size of small cats from china they are very big and white furred beasties & yes I will try them too if I get the chance to..

I wish to travel the whole world and try every nations specialties and also some very exotic foods while I am at it..

I will skip any foods, that can alter a persons or animals perception of reality. So that means no food, herbs or drinks that will make me drunk, stoned, or high.. Nothing that alters my mind space or a my moods. I do not need to, or want to go on any strange trips, brought out or induced by exotic dishes..

I did enough of that in my teen years and prefer not to experiment that way again..

Okay that is enough about me..

what about all of you ?

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Orik

Gopher, are those the chicken filled pastry things ?

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

P.C.

The grossest things I ever ate were see urchins.  Like a little blob of slime.  Even if the taste were like the nectar of the gods, I still couldn't get past the texture.  

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Orik

Lol at that description of yours PC.. Sea urchins are that horrible eah...

What about abalone, I am told it is a rather excellent dish but it is now an endangered species in many areas. So I am not sure where abalone is still on the menu.

If any one knows about where Abalone is still served in BC some info and links would be appreciated..
however I fear it is off limits these days.

DDD

snails , oysters, deer, moose, elk, not sure but i think bear, wild duck ... was yucky.........other stuff over the years but nothing that sticks out besides the duck cause it sucked.

I would try most things as long as they are real food not that i dare you shit...fear factor
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

P.C.

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]Lol at that description of yours PC.. Sea urchins are that horrible eah... [/span][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]What about abalone, I am told it is a rather excellent dish [span style="text-decoration: underline;"]but it is now an endangered species in many areas[/span]. So I am not sure where abalone is still on the menu.[/span][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]If any one knows about where Abalone is still served in BC some info and links would be appreciated.. [/span][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]however I fear it is off limits these days. [/span]

I didn't know that Orik.  We have a friend who is a Japanese chef, and he made us this 'salad' with abalone.  ( a long time ago)  It was really good.  You have to thwack the bejeezers out of them with a mallet, to tenderize, else they are like eating a hockey puck, only not as tender. The salad was basically thin shave cucumber, a malty vinegar and the abalone.  It was super good.

P.C.

I forgot to add too, that I have dared the prairie oysters, and they were really good.  I had them at a saloon in Deadwood.

I've also had ostrich, reindeer and buffalo.  All really good.

DDD, I have the recipe of all recipes for roast duck.  It is unbelievable.  Not greasy, tender succulent, deeeeelish.

Orik

Hi PC

As far as I am aware of Northern Abalone has been on the endangered species list since the late 90's or perhaps early 2000 I do know many places sold Abalone till about 2004 and there was a massive and thriving black market for the Northern Abalone.. from 2001 to about 2005. I do know in 2004 there where many arressts that took place of people smuggling / trafficking in this rare species of shellfish.

I do not know what other species are sold or available, I very rarely spot it on a resteraunts menue these days and it is normally priced far above what I am willing to pay for a meal, when I do see it on a menu. I have the feeling that it is the southern variety of Abalone. Probably one of the shellfish species from Mexico or other areas. I doubt any Restaurant would be willing to announce that they sell a rare species of Abalone openly.

Because, if it is the Northern variety... Any Restaurant that does serve it, run's the risk of having their licence revoked. They could also risk being fined, but I fear the fines are to small, to really put a dent in the illegal trade / traffic of this rarer delicasy..

True Northern Abalone has a black market value depending on if it is fresh or dried and that value varies from 20 dollars a pound to as high as 50, though I have heard of some Asian chefs who paid as high as 100 dollars per pound..

Because of a confidentiality agreement, I can not name the place or the persons involved.. Let us just say this male. A Dr. who is very wealthy and of influence within China, USA & BC. He had Abalone on the dinner menu and it was the Northern variety. I did recognized them.  

That small confidential 6 person dinner consisted of approximately 8 courses, 1 of which was a main entry where 30 + Abalone were served. My understanding is he paid 5000 Canadian dollars just to have the shellfish flown in from San Francisco.. That was back in 2004...

I do not know the full value of the dinner but at a guess probably 500 per person. What I do know is security was tight, I am sorry the details are so few but I really should not even be saying as much as I just did..

Natasha

P.C. wrote:

DDD, I have the recipe of all recipes for roast duck.  It is unbelievable.  Not greasy, tender succulent, deeeeelish.

Would you be willing to share it?

P.C.

Absolutely Natasha.  Except I'm packing to head out of town for a week, so I'll wait til I return.  It's an old Julia Childs recipe.  I did a quick check, and it is not online.  There are several others but not this one.

It's cooked in 3 phases, each 30 minutes.  I follow it to the letter and it is pure duck perfection.  I will dig it out as soon as I get back.  I have a library of cookbooks, otherwise I'd do it right now, but I can see myself easily getting distracted. [img border=0 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Happy/12.gif"]

Hahaha...

[TABLE border=1 bgColor=#ffffdd] [TBODY] [TR] [TD colSpan=2 align=middle][SMALL]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
Please type the text below into this field[/SMALL][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle] [STYLE type=text/css]    TD.at_r1 (vertical-align:bottom;)    [/STYLE]  [TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD class=at_r1 rowSpan=2]sp[/TD] [TD][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]cri[/TD] [TD]y[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD] [TD][INPUT value=crispy size=10 name=sauce][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][INPUT accessKey=s tabIndex=3 onclick="return scheck(); return submitThisOnce(this);" value=Post type=submit name=post] [INPUT accessKey=p tabIndex=4 onclick="return (typeof(document.postmodify.attachmentPreview) == "undefined" || !document.postmodify.attachmentPreview.value || confirm('You will have to reattach any attachments, continue with preview?')) && submitThisOnce(this);" value=Preview type=submit name=preview][img id=fetchSessionTemp alt="" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/blank.gif"]

purelife

My mom fed us "things" that I have no idea what they were called but I had to try it and was told they are healthy for me and VERY expensive, supposedly.  

I don't think I'd want to try anything different now.

Orik

I think I like you Mum Purelife.. I love to try all kinds of foods.. But it is still best to know what one is eating.. It makes it easier to order it again.. Or to not order it again depending on a person's taste preference... So much food, so many countries and so little time..

Purelife have you travelled at all ? Do you have any strange or exotic food memories you care to share with us ?

Natasha

P.C. wrote:
 Absolutely Natasha.  

Thank you bunches.

Except I'm packing to head out of town for a week,

Have a safe trip.

I follow it to the letter and it is pure duck perfection.

I can't wait to try it out. This will be something new for me to cook and eat.

I will dig it out as soon as I get back.  

Thank you again but there's no need to be in any hurry at all. I'm sure I'll be around for a while :)

but I can see myself easily getting distracted. [img border=0 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Happy/12.gif"]

lol.. I'm bad for that too. It starts off with something little. Like something out of place. I'll go to straighten it up thinking it will only take a minute but then as I'm doing that, I'll see something else that will "only take a minute". Before I know it, my minutes are gone. Or I'll start looking through things for something imparticular but will begin to reminise. By the time I'm done, half the day is gone.      

TehBorken

Last night I had "Crispy Crocodile Strips in Garlic Sauce". It was okay, but it's hard to describe how the crocodile tasted...it was kind of tangy and good. I didn't try the "goat balls in fish sauce" this time.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.