Being Honest

Started by 49er, Mar 29 06 12:22

Previous topic - Next topic

49er

In the Bay Area ........ we have some of the most honest people

[DIV id=storysandbox minmax_bound="true"] [P minmax_bound="true"][I minmax_bound="true"](AP)[/I] [I minmax_bound="true"]SAUSALITO[/I] John Suhrhoff found the Louis Vuitton bag on a Sausalito park bench during a lunch stop in the scenic city following a weekend hike.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]Inside the bag, police say, was a treasure trove: a 12-carat diamond ring, pearl and emerald jewelry, a Cartier watch and roughly $500 in Canadian and American cash. The contents were worth a cool $1 million.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]But the respiratory therapist didn't think of heading to a pawn shop - he returned the bag to Sausalito police headquarters on Monday afternoon after failing to track down the owners. The bag is en route to the Ghannadian family of Toronto, Canada, who were in Northern California for a daughter's wedding.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]"Every person I know or associate with would have done the same thing," Suhrhoff, 56, of San Rafael, said Tuesday. "I'm glad to be able to help."[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]The Ghannadians told the Marin Independent Journal of Novato that their flight to Toronto was scheduled for Sunday evening, so they decided to visit Sausalito. The town is known for its waterfront views of San Francisco and is a tourist hub.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]Shahla Ghannadian briefly left her husband in charge of the purse, which contained jewelry she wore at the wedding, according to the paper.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]Suhrhoff said he found the bag on a park bench near a tour bus depot.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]Ghannadian started crying when she returned to her San Francisco hotel and realized the bag was gone, the paper said. The family went to Sausalito police headquarters and didn't have any luck - and were told chances were slim the bag would be returned.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]But thanks to Suhrhoff, the bag and its contents are safe.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]"You have to be a real man to return that bag," Ghannadian's son Ali told the Independent Journal. "Even the bag is expensive. We're really, really thankful to that guy."[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]The family did not return calls requesting comment on Tuesday.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]Sausalito police Sgt. Kurtis Skoog said it's rare to find someone so honest that they'd pass up a bag of expensive loot. Many others would have tried to pawn the contents off for a fraction of their value, he said.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]Suhrhoff is happy the bag is headed back to Canada but couldn't help wondering why the family was taking such pricey items on day trips to begin with.[BR minmax_bound="true"][BR minmax_bound="true"]"It seems like a lot of expensive jewelry to be carrying around in a purse," he said.[BR minmax_bound="true"]

[P class=storynote minmax_bound="true"](© 2006 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

[!-- STORY END --]

cutezz

That figures that it was her husband that lost it...hahahah a woman would have never lost it!!! hahahah It was nice that it was returned!!!!!

49er

good thing it was returned....the poor guy would never hear the end of it for the rest of his life from his wife

cutezz

hahahah I never thought about that!!! poor buggar!

news hound

good karma coming his way...

Sportsdude

I would looked at the jewels and said oh cool, but then would have said to myself 'what am I going to do with this?' And returned it. Wouldn't feel good about it if I didn't.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

news hound

hmm...what would guys do if you found cash on the street? i found a twenty once by the curb and kept it. How much money would it take for you to turn it over to police? $5? $20? $50? $100? $1000?

Sportsdude

Cash flying around on the street is differnt because then it shows no ownership. Cash in a purse differnt story.

If a 5 dollar bill is laying on the ground and I didn't see who dropped it I'm pocketing it because its utterly pointless to try to find the owner.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

cutezz

I agree with Sports...if there is a purse or wallet there would be no way I could keep it...I would always keep thinking about the poor basturd that lost it!!!