Body trivia

Started by Gopher, Jun 17 10 08:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

On average women blink nearly twice as much as men.

On average a baby's heart will beat about 60 million times before it is born.

It has been estimated that 17% of human beings are left handed which is roughly the same figure as for gorillas and chimpanzees.

If you are right handed you tend to chew on the right hand side of your mouth and if you are left handed you tend to chew on the left hand side of your mouth.

Two out of five American women dye their hair.

The average adult falls asleep seven minutes after turning the light off.

The average human being will accidentally eat about a pound in weight of insects over the course of a lifetime.

Right handed people, on average, live nine years longer than left handed people!

On average 15% of people secretly chew their toenails.

If a man farted non-stop for six years and nine months and then lit it he would produce an explosion equal to the power of the first atomic bomb!
A fool's paradise is better than none.

NSgirl

wow I guess I'm not average. I never fall asleep in 7 minutes. i dont dye my hair. I have never chewed my toe nails.

I have probably eaten many bugs form picking berries etc and eating fruit.
I'm right handed so i will have to pay attention next time I eat to see if I am chewing on a certain side or not.
i don't think i blink that much,but who knows.
I wonder if I fart for 6 years straight would it be as powerful as an atomic bomb, of do only mens farts count?  

Lil Me

Are we talking about chewing toenails, or chewing toenail clippings? ( I don't do either...btw...)

I'm surprised that 15% of people can get their feet into their mouths.  I can't!
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

I wish that I can fall asleep 7 minutes after turning the lights off.  

I'm surprised that Lil Me can't get her feet in her mouth.  I had this impression that you're really flexible. :)

Sportsdude

I still 'clip' my toe nails (non big toe) just by tearing the nail off with my fingers. Although for the past decade or so its been toe nail clipper. Haven't chewed my finger nails since the mid 90s.

Interesting about the left handed people. Reading that reminds me of earlier today when I had a momentary existential crisis about driving cars in the UK.  I was imaging myself behind the wheel of a manual transmission Focus (naturally; although a dark blue Citroen DS4 is a close second) in Britain. I'm right handed, therefore my weak hand would be doing the shifting. Crisis. Total nightmare. I may not sleep for days.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Orik

In that case pick up extended medical for the Uk journey part & I mean extra medical insurance on top of the package you all ready use it is better to spend an extra hundred for a service you do not need than end up in a wreck and not have enough coverage when you do need it.

Three months travellers insurance if fine and all, but a personalized extended medical plan is much better. BCAA has some excellent plans for travellers. I am not sure how that would work  Considering that you are an American and all.

Being in a Auto accident could be horrid, the medical bills can be huge, your chances of being in a accident increase exponentially particularly when driving in a strange vehicle increases those odds. then include that you have to drive on the opposite side of the road than you are used to. Then include that you have to shift with your off hand... look the wrong way out of habit or miss shift all that happens just as some jay walker or cat comes out of nowhere and oops one more auto wreck...

I also think it might be better to go with an automatic as well, if you are just remotely uncomfortable in that kind of situation.. Be careful with your road trip and travel plans SD. We need your adventure storeys and your intuitive wit to lighten up this forum and you would be missed ... Not to mention your thoughts of the political forces of today...

damn I write to much...
\

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Natasha

Gopher wrote:
 If you are right handed you tend to chew on the right hand side of your mouth and if you are left handed you tend to chew on the left hand side of your mouth.
Years ago a friend of mine commented on how he noticed another friend only chewed on one side of his mouth. He made a big fuss over it and talked about how annoying it was. I didn't see what the big deal was nor had I noticed this trait in others or myself. After that moment, I did notice it in myself but not others. I mean who seriously cares? As long as everyone eats.

Two out of five American women dye their hair.
I haven't dyed my hair in years. I rarely use styling products anymore either.

The average adult falls asleep seven minutes after turning the light off.
I wish! I think my body falls asleep before my brain does.

The average human being will accidentally eat about a pound in weight of insects over the course of a lifetime.
Eww!

Right handed people, on average, live nine years longer than left handed people!
There's something to look forward too.

On average 15% of people secretly chew their toenails.
Sick! I have a cousin who used to do this in public. I can't count the times I left her sitting on the porch just because I didn't want the passing vehicles to associate me with her.

Glasgogirl

Sportsdude wrote:
I still 'clip' my toe nails (non big toe) just by tearing the nail off with my fingers. Although for the past decade or so its been toe nail clipper. Haven't chewed my finger nails since the mid 90s.

Interesting about the left handed people. Reading that reminds me of earlier today when I had a momentary existential crisis about driving cars in the UK.  I was imaging myself behind the wheel of a manual transmission Focus (naturally; although a dark blue Citroen DS4 is a close second) in Britain. I'm right handed, therefore my weak hand would be doing the shifting. Crisis. Total nightmare. I may not sleep for days.

It makes sense that your weak hand would be on the gear shift and your most important hand would be doing the more important task of keeping the vehicle on the straight & narrow.... pfft!

Glasgogirl

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"]Orik wrote:
In that case pick up extended medical for the Uk journey part & I mean extra medical insurance on top of the package you all ready use it is better to spend an extra hundred for a service you do not need than end up in a wreck and not have enough coverage when you do need it.

Three months travellers insurance if fine and all, but a personalized extended medical plan is much better. BCAA has some excellent plans for travellers. I am not sure how that would work  Considering that you are an American and all.

Being in a Auto accident could be horrid, the medical bills can be huge, your chances of being in a accident increase exponentially particularly when driving in a strange vehicle increases those odds. then include that you have to drive on the opposite side of the road than you are used to. Then include that you have to shift with your off hand... look the wrong way out of habit or miss shift all that happens just as some jay walker or cat comes out of nowhere and oops one more auto wreck...[/FONT]

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"]No need for medical insurance of any kind if you're travelling to UK, as they won't charge you a dime for anything medical that's required.... they'll fix you right up & send you on your way![/FONT]

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"][/FONT]

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"]

[/FONT]

Orik

Really even an American ? I figure it is better safe than sorry... Maybe the medical bills in England are covered for it's own citizens similar to the way health care works for us Canadians. but I doubt they would give free service to none citizens..

I have seen the Canadian hospitals List prices for medical services for none Canadian citizens I am sure other hospitals Including Jolly old england Has a service fee's that they charge for none English nationals...

An Emergency Air lift home can be formidably expensive, Considering they usually starting at 25 thousand and going up from there.. I think it is better to spend an extra hundred dollars on a good extensive travellers plan with a extended medical insurance package than risk a countries good nature, I will not hold my breath waiting on a service that may not be provided for free...

I do not know England's medical services fees to foreigners. but I think Canada's starts at roughly 1300 Canadian per day for a semi private room. That means a room shared with  2 to 3 other patients.  It gets even more expensive than that, if you need a ICU, intensive care unit room and a nurse.

As a Canadian citizen we might get free medical in England but then again we may not. I for one would rather spend the money on insurance services I might not need, than end up needing some service's I could of purchased for a lower price before I went on my trip abroad.

Accidents can and do happen, I for one would rather not end up thousands upon thousands of dollars in debt. Stuck in a foreign city, unsure how I will get home or how I will pay the bills or pay my rent.  Every now and then you hear a horror story of a injured citizen, someone that is stuck racking up medical bills. Bills that can quickly climb into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Something they could of had extended coverage for. Something that can be purchased for as little as  one hundred dollars. That something is called, Travellers insurance, accidents can happen anytime & anyplace... Are you covered ?

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Glasgogirl

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"]Orik wrote:
Really even an American ? I figure it is better safe than sorry... Maybe the medical bills in England are covered for it's own citizens similar to the way health care works for us Canadians. but I doubt they would give free service to none citizens..

I have seen the Canadian hospitals List prices for medical services for none canadian citizens I am sure other hospitals Including Jolly oold england Has a sevice fee's that they carge for none English nationals...

An Emergency Air lift home can be formidably expensive, Considering they usually starting at 25 thousand and going up from there.. I think it is better to spend an extra hundred dollars on a good extensive travellers plan with a extended medical insurance package than risk a countries good nature, I will not hold my breath waiting on a service that may not be provided for free...

I do not know England's medical services fees to foreigners. but I think Canada's starts at roughly 1300 canadian per day for a semi private room. That means a room shared with  2 to 3 other patiants.  It gets even more expensive than that, if you need a ICU, intensive care unit room and a nurse.

As a Canadian citizen we might get free medical in England but then again we may not. I for one would rather spend the money on a services I might not need, than end up needing some service's I could of purchased for a lower prices before I went on my trip abroad.

Accidents do happen, I for one, would rather not end up, thousands upon thousands of dollars in debt. Stuck in a foreign city unsure how I will get home or how I will pay the bills or pay my rent.  Every now and then You hear of a horror storey of a injured citizen some one that is stuck racking up medical bills that can quickly climb into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Something they could of had extended coverage for, Something that can be purchased for as little as  one hundred dollars..

Travellers medical insurance, accidents can happen anytime & anyplace... Are you covered ?[/FONT]

Anybody from anywhere will receive free emergency medical attention in the UK.....  We're very civilized..... we place people above money in terms of emergencies :)

Glasgogirl

[H3]Here you go dear Orik......[/H3] [H3]Getting hospital treatment in an emergency[/H3] If you suddenly fall ill, or an accident happens and you (or people around you) are in need of urgent medical treatment, then this will usually be dealt with in the A&E department of a hospital. You can make your own way there, but in most cases people should call 999 and ask for an ambulance to come to the scene of the incident.

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"]In the UK, medical treatment for emergencies is always free – regardless of your nationality, how long you've been in the UK, or any other factors[/FONT]. So, for instance, if you fall, break your leg, and have to be taken in an ambulance to A&E, you won't have to pay for the immediate NHS treatment you receive. It's important to note, though, that if you enter hospital through an A&E department and then need to receive care from another part of the hospital, then this further treatment may not be free for everyone.

From here:  [A href="http://www.avert.org/freenhs.htm"]http://www.avert.org/freenhs.htm[/A]

Orik

Glasgo you are a real pain in the ass... quoting my whole post spelling  mistakes and all... Try quoting the pertinent bits you are reffrencing instead of cutting and pasting the full thing next time. see below for a good example of quoting the pertinent bits of another persons post.

Note this part.
 [br style="color: rgb(191, 0, 95);"] [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 127);"]It's important to note, though,  that if you enter the hospital through an  A&E department and then need to [span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"]receive care from another part of  [span style="color: rgb(192, 0, 0);"]the[/span] hospital[/span], then [span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"]this further treatment may not be free [/span]for everyone.[/span]

The basic costs[span style="color: rgb(160, 255, 64);"] [span style="font-family: Arial Narrow; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"][span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"]might[/span][/span][/span] be free, but  the extended services in other parts of the hospital may not be. Why risk it ? 50/50 odds but since the Odds are always in favour of the house, you are playing a lose lose game. Better to spend the extra money on the travellers insurance.

There is no mention of calling your trip short or getting you back home  to your country of origin. Jolly Old England will not pay for any  emergency flight or emergency equipment or any staff of air nurses or  physicians you might need to aid you in your return home.

To me the idea of spending 100 to 300 dollars for extended travellers  insurance. Knowing that if I am in a accident in some other part of the  world all my bills will be paid for If I need emergency air transport  home I know that is not a bill I will be stuck with. if I am killed i  know my family is covered and my funeral expenses will not leave them in  debt.

Buy the travellers insurance if for nothing else but for your family's  financial safety. It is to prevent them from going into debt after all.   Or maybe you are a multimillionaire like Glasgow Girl and don't care if  your family will spend the next 5 to 25 years paying off your medical  costs.

Either you are play it safe or risk it all. Me I care about my family & I will buy the insurance, If I make a trip down to the US, even idf it is just a day trip, I stop by B.C.A.A and pick up the travellers insurance. You do not have to go with them though, there are so many other options for travellers insurance.

I believe in the old motto it is Better to be safe than sorry. I also have Tenants Insurance for Fire Theft and Earthquake... Call me Foolish but I believe having some insurance is better than none. God knows how many family's I have seen on the T.V news. Or in one of the local newspapers saying that the family has lost their home or apartment and everything In it...

But they love there family right? So how can they not have any insurance at all? Are they complete idiots or what ? Emergency Aid from red cross which I think is good for 3 days, then you are SOL.
Do you think welfare is gonna give you the seed money to start over again. HELL NO.

Social Services will give you a crisis grant WHICH you will have to pay back. but a Crisis grant is not going to replace your house or all your possessions of your apartment.  The average 4 person household Will cost 15 thousand plus to purchase furniture food and clothing for.  

My insurance will cover me for almost everything. I know the numbers to call If I have need to.

What do you have if you come home from work and your apartment is gone or your house went up in smoke. The upstairs neighbour had a fire and your apartment below is uninhabitable for 4 months while they renovate and repair your place..  The down stairs apartment had a gas explosions and your apartment is destroyed.

Well what ever the accident is or whatever the cause of your place of residences destruction. What is gonna happen to you? or your family if you have one ? Where will you live in the mean time until you get a new place? What will you do for your family?

Idiots that do not get the needed insurance with large family's makes me wonder what the hell were they thinking.  I may be considered one of Vancouver's Disabled or Working Poor but I pay the 37 dollar a month for insurance and any one not willing to pay that exspense for themselves or there family is a fool in my eyes.

I would go hungry for a few days to make sure I could pay my monthly insurance expense. And any one who knows me knows how much I love food, that is how serious I think it is to have insurance.

End of rant...

Natasha

Orik wrote:
Glasgo you are a real pain in the ass... quoting my whole post spelling  mistakes and all...

LOL.. but yet it's perfectly acceptable for you to do the same to others?

End of rant...

Promise?

;)

Orik

LOL.. Natasha, I am not going to make that a promise my dear. Only because I think Having Insurance is vital, it is positively essential these days. Also, when I quote others I try to adjust the spelling mistakes =P I also try to not re-quote everything, not unless I am adding my own diatribe in the middle of it or after some paragraphs... Similar to the way you make points Natasha.

I like it when you dissect and comment on my posts.You might sometimes repost the full thing but you almost always highlight or bold the pertinent areas and then you post your thoughts on it. I have also seen you repost only part of a posters topic. You have a way of writing that is a pleasure to read, not to mention a head on your shoulders. It is always a pleasure to have social discourse with you.