Mr. Orik

Started by Rotten Johnny, Jun 13 10 11:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Rotten Johnny

I have received my new card, and it seems to work.  I will be sending you the GT 230 in the mail this week.

Just remember, this card needs a PCI Express slot in your mobo, which is a relatively newer connection.  If you don't have one you're SOL!...  Do what you want with the card in that case...

And I'm sure you know this, but uninstall all graphics drivers before installing any new card, to avoid any potential conflicts...

Orik

Congrats on getting your new card and thank you for placing your old one in the mail for me, it is greatly appreciated. Let me know if your in the hood, lunch and beers at the good old No.5 shall be on me, I will gladly have lunch but won't be able to drink the beer.

I am familiar with stripping all previous drivers from the PC, before installing a new video card and yes my Old Asus P5KPL-CM mother board is a PCI Express slot and will work with a PCI-E 2.0 card.  so I have no worries there.

The old card, I have will be flogged off to some other worthy cause and your much nicer card shall take its place in giving this old work horse a new lease on life and keep her afloat for another year. Hopefully by that time I shall have returned to work and saved enough in the old bank account to upgrade to a nice 8 core system with all the bells and whistles.

Anyways,Stay out of trouble if you can Johnny  LOL.. Peace I'm out for now...  
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Rotten Johnny

Sounds good Orik.  My job has been providing me long working hours most days, which when combined with the afternoon/graveyard type shift I work, often leaves me without much time when normal people usually have time.  However, if things cool down eventually and I have some time off, I will make that trip into Van for coffee one day again.  I'd do the beers, but driving back from Van is too far to go while drunk!

I'm glad the card can be utilized.  It's literally only a couple of weeks old, so it would be a shame for me to just use it as a doorstop.  It's boxed up now, and I'll most likely drop it in the mail tomorrow before I head to work.

And good luck with the job search.  I know the economy is still in the shitter, despite claims to the contrary.  There are still many people competing for a few positions.  Hopefully in time you will find an opening with a decent outfit that doesn't have "exploit all employees to the maximum while paying them the minimum" as their first and foremost rule for management and operations...

Orik

Thank you Johnny, I hear that, a long drive and after a couple of beers  is never a good thing. Coffee is a safer alternative for sure.. And yeah  I hear that on the economy, I don''t know who it is that says it's  recovered but they sure as hell are not the ones out in the fields or  down in the sewers toiling away.

Bah! they think trying to make ends meet while slaving away for  starvation wages is a recovered economy well they are ass-hats and  idiots, thats all I got to say about that.  Finding a Job 5 years ago  was a breeze, today it is 100 times harder, at every or each interview I  go out on there seems to be 15 other people in the waiting room.

Sadly the good security companies are of a select few. The rest of them  well, they are of the exploitive kind and forced to work at barely  better than minimum wage, then there are the ones with no benefits. A  bunch of Cheap bastards!!! The lot of them.

They make a 1 - 5 million dollar profit off there employee's bah!. When  you see the company exec's or ceo's driving about in 80 thousand dollar  cars and brand new cars every year at that. Well f*ck that!!!  

That is not what, I call decent or good, I would rather continue on EI  than work for a exploitive security company, like that. The problem is this,  that in todays economy there is no choice. I take whatever shifts I  can get it is either that or starve. Sighs, now I am stressed and angry.

Time for a cup of tea, peace I'm out for now.

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Rotten Johnny

Stay on EI as long as you need.  Shit, you paid into it anyhow while working!  And the package was mailed off yesterday afternoon.  Should be there in a couple of days.

I'm trying to think of a good security outfit to work for...  You could try to step into a role with the Vancouver Port Authority, but I would imagine the competition would be pretty fierce, if they're even hiring at all...

Orik

Thank's R.J I have something to look forward to arriving on Wed at the earliest and Friday at the latest... providing it is not lost or broken in the mail and it will be nice to recieve some thing other athan a past due bill statement lol.. peace..

Mr. Orik

Hey Thanks Johnny...

The card was picked up today, It is currently in my custody and shall soon be interrogated. (sorry could not resist the temptation to say that) Talk about packaging overkill. I guess they ship them that way for safety.

I thought you were going to send it regular post. If I had known you were going to ship it via express post, I would of had you send it to a different name & address. Since I Had to go to the post office to pick up some other items, I picked yours up at the same time.

J.R. I will put it into the case on Monday right after morning services. On a side note, I can barely wait to put it through some stress tests and see what the system bench marks will be. I would do it today or Sunday but since I am on a new medication, I do not want to.

Imagine if you can doing something as delicate as that, while under the influence of such a strong painkiller. I am fumble fingered at the best of times, so you can imagine how difficult that one might be particularly while surfing the nether regions of outer-space.

This pain medication works good but my mind is swimming, my fingers feel almost separated from my body, my arms float and at times I feel like I weigh nothing at all... Now don't get me wrong I don't like being on medication, I just do not like being so stoned, I dislike not feeling in control.

Let us Talk about being stoned cause right now I am totalled... The doctor warned me these medication would make me a bit light headed, I did not think they would make me feel like a balloon floating about the ceiling..

man I am rambling I think I should go lie down, I seem to be having a fit of the giggles,,, yup I am completely totally wasted..

Thanks  again JR...

Rotten Johnny

I'm glad it arrived in one piece.  And I did send it regular post (the cheapest option).  I'm not sure why it would've ended up on your end as express...

Hopefully it will perform OK.  It's by no means a high end card, but if you have a slightly older, less powerful CPU, it should be capable of keeping up with it I would think.

And yes, probably best to install it when hand-eye coordination is at an acceptable level.  And remember to touch something grounded to discharge yourself before handling delicate computer components!

Orik

Of course, I did it last night after a 3 hour nap, which brought me back to a significant level of sobriety. It was a cake walk. I grounded myself first before handling the card. I may be a fool but I am not a complete idiot.  

Thanks johnny this card is the shiznit... my bench marks have gone from a mid range 4 to a respectable 6.6 nice... I think 7 is the highest score.. anyways found that card on a couple of sites.. Wow on what they are asking for it..

[a href="http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/HP,Computer,Part,586381001.aspx"]On This spare parts web site [/a]
Part Number: 586381-001
Nvidia GeForce GT230 1.5GB PCIe graphics card    
Factory Direct   is listed at  $223.12

[a href="http://www.bigblueparts.com/pc-91589-201-hp-nvidia-geforce-gt230-15gb-pcie-card.aspx"]At Big Blue Parts[/a] it is listed as sold out and over 100 dollars over the HP web site price
586381-001     HP NVIDIA GEFORCE GT230 1.5GB PCIE CARD    $325.00

Seems odd they are so over priced.. it is just a revamped 9600 from my understanding. even the specs are not that great.

[h3][a name="specs"]GeForce GT 230 Specs[/a][/h3]             
             Model GeForce GT 230
             Interface PCI-E X16 2.0
             Max memory 1536 MB
             Max core clock 550 MHz
             Max memory clock 1000 MHz
             Max bandwidth 24 GB/s
             SLI no[/p]              [script type="text/XXXXscript"][!-- google_ad_client = "pub-5800030529712937"; /* 468x60, created 4/4/09 */ google_ad_slot = "5914365955"; google_ad_width = 468; google_ad_height = 60; //--] [/script] [script type="text/XXXXscript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"] [/script] [/p][h3][a name="about"]About the GeForce GT 230[/a][/h3]             The Nvidia GeForce GT 230 was released in the year 2009. The  GeForce GT 230 cards had a PCI-E X16 2.0 interface and came with a core  clock speed of up to 550MHz. The best specification GeForce GT 230  supported a maximum of 1536MB of memory which had a clock speed of  1000MHz. The maximum memory bandwidth was 24GB/s. The Nvidia GeForce GT  230 supported DirectX version 10.1 and OpenGL 3.2 as well as support for  PhysX and CUDA.
[/p]
[/p]For my system this card is still better than the old X1300 I had in it..[/p]my score shows the improvements
[/p]

Rotten Johnny

Those prices are unbelievable!  Maybe they think they can get away with it because it's an OEM card only.  Of course, nobody in their right mind would pay that much for one when you can get an equivalent (or better) card for around $100 or so.

And I'm sure you'll notice a real world improvement over your old X1300.  One of the single most important figures that will dictate a cards performance is its bandwidth.  A quick search shows the X1300 has a bandwidth of 8.0 GB/s.  The X1300 Pro and XT sit at 12.8 GB/s.  So, even though the 230 is lower end, it will provide you with up to triple the bandwidth than the old X1300 does.  It will even play GTA IV pretty good on medium settings, and that's a pretty demanding game.  However, that game also requires a fairly powerful CPU to run properly.

Orik

Well this is a E8400 over-clocked slightly with room to max it out if  needed for more demanding game play, though I do not want to push it to  hard cause if I burn it out I would not be able to replace it anytime  soon. This is not the best of the CPU's on the market but still very  decent it still sells though with the I7 being so low priced this Dual  Core chip is now way over priced.

If I get back to work anytime soon, My money shall be saved for one of  those Amd 6 core cpu's and i would add another video card that I can run  in a SLI configuration with this one.. This card may very well be a mid  range but it is very good for me. I already see the difference in some  of my game play and video processing.  

I just ran a DVD Rip on a Blue-ray version of The Book Of Eli in less time  than it takes to make a 3 course meal. I had ripped the movie  to my hard drive. Add an additional 47 minutes it took to recode that  DIVX rip to dvd format. Total time from rip to full re-encode 1 hr 27 minutes.

I am impressed my cpu's normally runs into the 60 or 70 percent usage  when I rip or encode video this time it barely went over 20 only when I  was encoding to mp4 (a high definition format) did it climb to 34  percent  during  that time I noticed no lag in my surfing or on line  game play..

This card is brilliant and let's say that I did not know things could  look so good on rune-scape i have noticed a significant increase in  frame rates and lets not forget that I can play it on much higher  settings with a much clearer high definition picture at that. so  increased frame rates increased screen size. less motion blurring and  ghosting.  Yup this card is fantastic.

Thanks again  Johnny  Rotten, you get your self out to Vancouver one of these days and lunch is on me..  More than worth it, With the gift of this excellent card, you saved me 50 to  100 dollar's cause I was considering buying one, now I won't need to for at least 1 year...