HST

Started by DDD, May 31 10 04:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you read anything about it or you just following the masses that do not know what it is all about

know nothing and do not care
1 (16.7%)
Just do not like any tax
1 (16.7%)
Have read about it and under stand why we need it
2 (33.3%)
no more hidden taxes GREAT
2 (33.3%)
Hate it.....HST SUCKS
0 (0%)
Yes I would vote for it
2 (33.3%)
No I would not vote for it
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

DDD

Well what say you
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

P.C.

We need another tax like a hole in the head.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Its faaaaaaaaaaantastic...  

The revenge of my low-grade concussion from the provincial election continues.

One of these weekends I'll get involved with the organizing group from Mt Pleasant. I keep declining due to the employment search.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

DDD

P.C. wrote:
We need another tax like a hole in the head.  
     It is not another tax it is combinning the two we allready have now. There will be no more hidden taxing of anything now as all items sold or services used will have the tax at the sale end.

P.C.

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]It is not another tax it is combinning the two we allready have now. There will be no more hidden taxing of anything now as all items sold or services used will have the tax at the sale end.[/span]

Yes, that's the way they like to put it.  But if we are going to be taxed on things we weren't taxed on before...in plain language, it's another tax.

DDD

P.C. wrote:
[SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]It is not another tax it is combinning the two we allready have now. There will be no more hidden taxing of anything now as all items sold or services used will have the tax at the sale end.[/SPAN]

Yes, that's the way they like to put it.  But if we are going to be taxed on things we weren't taxed on before...in plain language, it's another tax.

We where taxed on them you just did not see the tax as it was hidden.

Input cost will go down for the person who cuts your hair and they should be able to supply that service at a lower price than what it cost now

P.C.

[div style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]We where taxed on them you just did not see the tax as it was hidden. [/div] [div style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"] [/div] [span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]Input cost will go down for the person who cuts your hair and they should be able to supply that service at a lower price than what it cost now[/span]

That's the general theory.  But if you think for even a nanosecond that business is going to pass on any savings to consumers, I'm afraid you're fooling yourself.   The first person who experiences this phenomenon, should report it here immediately, at which point I will eat a healthy portion of crow.
I also don't think anyone should hold their breath waiting for all the new jobs that are going to show up.

Orik

Sighs...
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

DDD

P.C. wrote:
 [DIV style="FONT-STYLE: italic; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]We where taxed on them you just did not see the tax as it was hidden.

[DIV style="FONT-STYLE: italic; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]

[SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]Input cost will go down for the person who cuts your hair and they should be able to supply that service at a lower price than what it cost now[/SPAN]

That's the general theory.  But if you think for even a nanosecond that business is going to pass on any savings to consumers, I'm afraid you're fooling yourself.   The first person who experiences this phenomenon, should report it here immediately, at which point I will eat a healthy portion of crow. [img border=0 src="/forums/richedit/smileys/Happy/12.gif"]
I also don't think anyone should hold their breath waiting for all the new jobs that are going to show up.

Start eating as I can see some items dropping here at my work

Orik

[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]New jobs LOL I doubt that but if it  does create some that would be really good, I need one.[/span][br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]Things going down in price I doubt  that... It is more than likely we are gonna see a increase in prices on  things. [/span][br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]I now have to pay taxes on a bag of  maggots, they used to be tax free most fishing baits were non taxed  only the metal lures and things but not the live baits.... Oh and my  medical supplements that were originally non-taxed are now going to be a  taxed item... EVERYTHING that you paid GST on will now be taxed by HST[/span][br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]Savings If I get any I will let you  know... If I manage to actually save anything I will be rather  flabbergasted.. After reading all this fertilizer spewed by the goofs in  power... all I can say is No I don't want to pay for the Olympics but I  am being robbed by the Government in order to do so... [/span][br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]Sighs... I barely afford to live  now, this is just going to make things that much harder...[/span][br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]I have a impossible time dealing  with Things as it is, eliminating changing things is just going to make  things even worse for those in in a financial crises. People are  drowning and there is no help to turn to. [/span][br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]These Changes in the Tax system do  nothing to help us who earn under 30 thousand a year.  it may be  beneficial to the elites those in government service those who earn over  40 thousand a year.... but any one who has earnings under 30 thousand a  year is going to be affected by these changes and they will be  negatively impacted and no amount of candy coating will change the fact  this is a tax grab and that the poor are being raped once more. [/span]

BC Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)

British Columbia will harmonize its provincial sales tax (Social  Services Tax, aka PST) with the Federal goods  and services tax (GST)  effective July 1, 2010.  The Consumption Tax Rebate and Transition Act,  which eliminates the PST and prepares BC for the HST, was passed in the   BC legislature on April 29, 2010.

The current PST rate in BC is 7%, which, when  combined with the GST  results in a harmonized sales tax (HST) rate of 12%.

The implementation of HST in BC will be good for the economy, which will  be good for job-seekers and consumers. It removes a consumer tax (PST)  which is costly for businesses and government to administer. Even a  small business (such as a self-employed person) which is not required to  register to collect GST has to register to collect PST if it sells or  provides any amount  of a product or service which is subject to PST.

The government has auditors who must audit businesses, businesses have  accountants who must report on and remit the tax, and too often, lawyers  and the courts are brought into the picture because the Social Services  Tax Act has many parts that are open to interpretation. The  implementation of the HST eliminates an entire level of bureaucracy,  which is always a good thing!

There will be a slight increased cost to consumers to start, but because  this is a consumption tax, those who spend the most will pay the most.  Those with low incomes will be affected the least, because they spend  the least, and a higher proportion of  items purchased by low-income  people are not subject to HST, such as  basic groceries.

[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]But Used Clothing And Used Goods  are going to be Taxed More ? So those poor or low income family's who  purchase there items in thrift shops and second hand stores will be  paying more taxes...[/span]

Another advantage of going to HST is that tax will no longer be payable  on most used goods purchased privately. [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]But that is only privately...[/span] However, used vehicles,  aircraft and boats purchased  privately (not from an HST registrant)  would still be subject to provincial sales tax, which is being increased  from 7% to 12%.

Almost everything that is subject to PST when purchased new is also  subject to PST when  purchased used. Exceptions to this are used  clothing or footwear priced at less than $100, and certain used  manufactured homes.

[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]And you think thrift stores are  going to price things accordingly? Most pawn shops thrift stores even  charity run stores like the union gospel mission & salvation army  stores even they charge us GST & PST on used clothing plus other  items... [/span][br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]Who tells them they can't?  Every  time I complain all they do is shrug and say they are required to... and  this HST will be charged on all things that we pay GST on...  Can Some  One Please show me where the savings are ? [/span]

Most people are not aware that the Social Services Tax Act requires them  to remit the tax  to the government when they buy used goods privately,  or when they purchase something from an out of province seller. We  would guess that most people don't remit the PST on this type of item,  and are therefore in contravention of the Social Services Tax Act.
 [br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] [font style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);" size="2"][span style="font-family: Arial Narrow;"]OK EXPLAIN SOMETHING TO ME I PAID TAXES ON IT NEW, SO  WHEN I SELL IT OR BUY IT USED, I HAVE TO PAY TAXES ON IT AGAIN. SO  BASICALLY I AM GETTING TAXED ON IT TWICE[/span][/font][span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]... Like that is really going to benefit  those who are low income. [/span]

Businesses which are registered to collect GST or HST can claim input  tax credits to recover all of the GST or HST that they  have  paid. The  change to HST will mean a significant savings and boost in productivity  for businesses in BC, because:

they  will no longer have to pay PST
 they  will no longer have to prepare PST remittances
 they  will save on consulting costs - the PST rules are very  complicated, and frequently require professional advice in their  interpretation
 employees  will spend much less time trying to find the answers to PST  questions
 PST audits will be eliminated (BUT HST audits will replace them)

Consumers will now have to pay 12% HST on all goods and services on  which they previously paid 5% GST, except for several items which are  currently PST exempt and will not be subject to the provincial portion  of the  HST.

These items are:          

gasoline and diesel fuel for motor vehicles
 books
 children's-sized clothing and footwear
 children's car seats and car booster seats
 diapers and feminine hygiene products
 residential energy

[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]Taxes sighs.. I got a headache...  and my ass is sore ... just got to love how they take advantage of us  time and time again... [/span]  
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

P.C.

Interesting you mentioned that, about the thrift stores.  There was a time when used items were not taxed.  Do you happen to remember when that started ?  I've never understood why an item could be taxed over and over again.  It's ridiculous.  

Orik

I don't remember when it started PC but I have always complained about having to pay taxes on any used item.. if taxes were paid on it new, you should not have to pay taxes on it again, it really does upset me at times.

I bought a great second hand pot that was donated to a thrift store, they charged me 7 dollars plus tax for it. Had I paid for it brand new that same pot would of cost me 19.99 plus tax at a discount warehouse on Hastings

I was over paying for that used cooking pot but I just could not afford to buy it new at that time...  Even second hand it was pretty expensive but I need a soup pot.

I still need a stock pot one of the 6 liter ones, I also keep my fingers crossed on finding a decent electric wok, those are like the stock pots, just to expensive for a low income person to buy brand new... so far no luck in finding one in the thrift stores but if I do find one I am going to probably be charged tax on it again..

What I don't understand is someone paid for those items new and they were kind hearted enough to donate it to a charity thrift shop or they sold it to one or they placed it in a store on commission,

Why do I have to pay taxes on a item that was taxed once before =(

P.C.

I believe that too.  No way they should be allowed to tax an item more than once.  And then if [span style="text-decoration: underline;"]you[/span] decide to donate it back to a thrift somewhere along the way, it will be taxed AGAIN....and maybe even again.  That ticks me off to no end.  It's out-n-out wrong.

DDD

P.C. wrote:
I believe that too.  No way they should be allowed to tax an item more than once.  And then if [SPAN style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline"]you[/SPAN] decide to donate it back to a thrift somewhere along the way, it will be taxed AGAIN....and maybe even again.  That ticks me off to no end.  It's out-n-out wrong.
[img border=0 src="/forums/richedit/smileys/1.gif"]  
     Yea that is the shits........once tax has been paid it should not be taxed again. Not sure but I think it was the NDP that started this.