New Facebook Privacy Settings

Started by TehBorken, May 28 10 05:23

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

The new "simplified" Facebook privacy settings:

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Natasha

LOL.. are you serious?    

DDD

I am now getting stuff e-mailed to me that i did not get before. Went and looked at the settings and wtf they do not make it simple
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Natasha

Odd. I'm not getting anything new emailed to me.

DDD

Natasha wrote:
 Odd. I'm not getting anything new emailed to me. [/DIV]
 I think you are

Natasha

Not from facebook, I'm not  [img border=0 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Happy/1.gif"]

P.C.

The way I look at it, is that anyone who was ever on facebook, wasn't too worried about privacy in the first place.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Actually, I believe when facebook first started it was a 'private  network' and nothing got out or was shared. It has been in the reverse  ever since.

I remember students at this one university in the  Seattle area getting in trouble by the school administrators when  someone posted photos of them with beer in their dorms. The site was  controlled and a private network.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]Actually, I believe when facebook first started it was a 'private  network' and nothing got out or was shared. It has been in the reverse  ever since. [/span][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]I remember students at this one university in the  Seattle area getting in trouble by the school administrators when  someone posted photos of them with beer in their dorms. The site was  controlled and a private network.[/span]

Actually, I don't think so.  I watched a program once where this guy demonstrated how quickly he could gather information from almost any profile, those blocked as private included.  It was amazing.  Little tricks, like finding a woman who talks about a brother, which gave him her maiden name.(often used as bank or other passwords)  Clubs, gyms, where she worked etc. (sometimes followed up with a phone call assuming the identity to gather even more info)  The list was endless of the amount of info we put out there that is useful to those who know what to look for.  People with pics of their kids on there freak me out.  As one police officer once described it, "it's like a pedophile's catalogue.

It is not, nor ever has been private.  It's only gotten blatantly worse, that's all.

Natasha

P.C. wrote:
Actually, I don't think so.  I watched a program once where this guy demonstrated how quickly he could gather information from almost any profile, those blocked as private included.  It was amazing.  Little tricks, like finding a woman who talks about a brother, which gave him her maiden name.(often used as bank or other passwords)  Clubs, gyms, where she worked etc. (sometimes followed up with a phone call assuming the identity to gather even more info)

I saw a video about something similar to that before. Anyone can get anything from you on the net these days. No matter how tech savvy you are someone always seems to be better.

People with pics of their kids on there freak me out.  

Me too. And some parents go even further than that. Telling in their status where they are taking their child for it's appointment. One of my friends tells where she'll be at and how long she'll be there. I keep warning her about that but she doesn't listen. I hope it doesn't come to haunt her one day.

As one police officer once described it, "it's like a pedophile's catalogue.

Yes ma'am and doing it that way makes it legal. That's so f'd up.

It is not, nor ever has been private.  It's only gotten blatantly worse, that's all.

Things like Twitter aren't any better. People are updating their where abouts every 5 minutes pics included. There's a right and wrong way to use these sites. People are just too careless these days.

Orik

And people wonder why I am not on Twitter or Facebook, anyone claiming to be me is welcome to the assumed identity.. I never liked them places. My Space is bad enough and is about as much info as I want to share about me it is as risky as I get, I log in to Myspace like once a year to keep them from deleting it ...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

DDD

So did anyone quit facebook today???

purelife

Some people put down their home/work address, all phone numbers, sibling information, work place, work history, blog website, full birthdate, etc on their page on top of status updates every hour via crackberry!!  

I'm still on facebook, still post pictures of my baby but I have removed his real name.  I delete messages/wall posts as I go along.  There isn't much someone could take from my profile.

P.C.

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]And people wonder why I am not on Twitter or Facebook, ......[/span]

Same here Orik.  No use for it at all.

Natasha

DDD wrote:
 So did anyone quit facebook today???[/DIV]
 Doubt it. Facebooks privacy issues have always been talked about but no one has ever seemed to care. This incident isn't going to scare anyone away from Facebook.