is dV server down?

Started by DV er, May 05 10 10:04

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Natasha

Neeener wrote:
 Still down
I commented on a forum earlier today about Vin and hopeful he is OK, even if DV is no more I still wish it.
I'm sure it will be back up sometime but a lot of people will go elsewhere I guess.
 Me, I'm playing Nomad    

Is that a nice way of saying of your touching yourself in an inappropriate manner?  ;)

I can't believe DV is still down. It's gotten to a point where I don't even bother checking anymore.

Neeener

Natasha wrote:
 Neeener wrote:
 Still down
I commented on a forum earlier today about Vin and hopeful he is OK, even if DV is no more I still wish it.
I'm sure it will be back up sometime but a lot of people will go elsewhere I guess.
 Me, I'm playing Nomad    

Is that a nice way of saying of your touching yourself in an inappropriate manner?  ;)

I can't believe DV is still down. It's gotten to a point where I don't even bother checking anymore.

Natasha

Neeener wrote:

Too late. I mean after a few days of no response why bother to check?

Neeener

LOL yeah i guess Neenerbot.    

Neeener

I just got a new message trying to get on DV

[h1]Not Found[/h1] The requested URL /forum/discover-vancouver-forum-f5.html was not  found on this server.[/p] Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the  request.[/p]

DDD

Ignorance wrote:
I heard a rumor that a car accident occurred earlier last week which involved the owner of DV and some other DV Staff traveling in the car, they were killed in the MVA they apparently died on impact... but rumors are rumors, I never know what to believe these days..

Well I hope thats not true
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

DDD

[TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top rowSpan=2 width="15%"][SPAN class=smalltext][/SPAN][/TD] [TD height="100%" vAlign=top width="85%"] [DIV class=post] [/DIV][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE] [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top rowSpan=2 width="15%"][SPAN class=smalltext]
[/SPAN][/TD] [TD height="100%" vAlign=top width="85%"] [DIV class=post] [/DIV][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE] [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top rowSpan=2 width="15%"][SPAN class=smalltext]
[/SPAN][/TD] [TD height="100%" vAlign=top width="85%"] [TABLE border=0 width="100%"] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=center align=left][A href="http://discoveralltheworld.com/index.php/topic,11074.msg173545.html#msg173545"][img border=0 alt="" src="http://discoveralltheworld.com/Themes/classic/images/post/xx.gif"][/A][/TD] [TD vAlign=center align=left] [DIV style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" id=subject_173545][A href="http://discoveralltheworld.com/index.php/topic,11074.msg173545.html#msg173545"][FONT color=#005177]*This is what happend to DV - FYI*[/FONT][/A] [/DIV][SPAN class=smalltext][FONT size=1]« on: May 11, 2010, 11:04:13 pm »[/FONT][/SPAN][/TD] [TD height=20 vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right][FONT size=1][/FONT][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][FONT size=1] [HR class=hrcolor SIZE=1 width="100%"] [/FONT] [DIV class=post]dvadmin

* Administrator

* Group: Administrators

Posted Today, 05:15 AM
I will start off by making this short and expand as needed.

The site has been down for over a week as many of you know and the reason behind that is a major fault on our hosting provider. They reformatted our drives and nuked our on-line back-ups.

The very bad news is this, DV has lost it's content due to a failure at the hosting side and even more so we discovered that the hard drive we use to backup DV is corrupt.

We are trying to recover the data but have yet been successful, so we are currently looking for a much older backup. This is obviously devastating news for every member at DV including myself. We are currently on a temporary server and our new server will be ready tomorrow. Rest assured we are doing all we can to bring back DV but please help our community by actively participating in posting at this time.

Also all previous members will have to re-register at this time.

Thank you,
Vin[/DIV][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

Snow Leopard

So the whole server is down eh! I was worried I had been banned by the overzealous mods! Still we will have to re-register! now is the time to register the handles of all the irritating regulars

DDD

Snow Leopard wrote:
 So the whole server is down eh! I was worried I had been banned by the overzealous mods! Still we will have to re-register! now is the time to register the handles of all the irritating regulars[/DIV]
 LOL..................that would take weeks

Orik

No words can express what I feel at the loss of DV but with today's  recovery software programs and a few days one can recover a formatted  hard drive in a matter of hours. Have they never heard of a Raid storage  array thus continuing to carry back ups of the back ups. Should any one  drive fail, it is a easy hot swap, to the new one and the info will be  rebuilt to the hard drive.

When ones Family photo collection has been scanned in to the computer  over 120 GB of family history stored on a hard drive 9 months of  scanning photo's document 30 audio tapes of the biography's of our  ancient family lineage history recited by.members who have passed away.  The legacy they leave behind is the story's they told.  Nearly 4 hours a  day.was spent ripping scanning 300 years of family history documented  and stored biography's.

I continue to this day to have separate hard drive back up's at least 2  hard drives storing a Direct image updated 3 to 4 times per year or as  needed, 1 compressed Rar image file stored on 2 different servers  slightly expensive.at 7 dollars a month but with the USD nearly at par  it has recently been as low as 5 dollars. is invaluable priceless you  could even say. The peace of mind should the worst ever happen a fire  completely guts the house where the hard drives containing the family  back ups are. I can then go online to the server and Download the family  history to a new hard drive.

DV if they want can bring me the Drives For data recovery. Or if they  have the money go to a recovery center. I make no promises of being able  to fully recover all formatted data but it should be possible with the  software I have. should it fail to do so I tried and it costs them  nothing, should I succeed my price is 50 dollars to cover Root beer and  Pizza expenses.

it Also Pisses me off Having to re register My Handle/s and it is not like the old  DV where I could use the old Email I have I now also have to use a new email per bloody handle...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

TehBorken

Orik wrote:
Have they never heard of a Raid storage  array thus continuing to carry back ups of the back ups. Should any one  drive fail, it is a easy hot swap, to the new one and the info will be  rebuilt to the hard drive.

No, RAID isn't for backup, in fact it's a huge mistake to use it for backups as a lot of people have sadly discovered.

RAID replicates data and/or stripes it across a series of drives. It's mostly used for performance reasons, not for backup. If you have bad data it just gets replicated to all of the drives. If files get corrupted you just end up with multiple copies of the corrupted files. Hooray.

The only way to do backups is to periodically archive the data off to an unconnected media store, and then stash it away offsite. I use 3 portable 1-terabyte drives which I rotate, usually weekly. The ones that aren't being used are stored offsite in a vault (yup, an actual vault).  If DS went down really hard, we might lose a week of data or so, but it wouldn't all be gone. Might lose as much as a month if I was really lazy.  

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Insomniac Orik

Thats Just what I do. samething Portable drives. but then again I am not dealing with the same storage capacitys as you are and I am not actually using a storage vauly. But I do have some portable drives I plug in and one click back ups of the important data. Mind my house is a mess I recently got 3 more computers lol... I have no idea what to do with them all now.
a nice little3.2worth converting into a cheap Satellite PVR & HTPC if I can find a cheap ATI 4550 for about 25 to 35 bucks to complete this one I'd be very happy but  what do I do with the rest

TehBorken whats the best way to format wipe 20 HD ranging from 20 to 200 GB ? a DND standard wipe setting ? a standalone CDR boot up linux run application program ? I really do not want to spend money on a program if there is a good linux freeware version. I want to save that for other things like that nice 2 GB HD at Newegg onsale for 124.99

then run a series of smart test after wards.. and any fit for the recycling bin there after and the rest donated to free geek or reboot I guess.

TehBorken

Insomniac Orik wrote:
TehBorken whats the best way to format wipe 20 HD ranging from 20 to 200 GB ? a DND standard wipe setting ? a standalone CDR boot up linux run application program ?

That's what I'd do. Easy, simple, and fast.

then run a series of smart test after wards.. and any fit for the recycling bin there after and the rest donated to free geek or reboot I guess.

Well, if you're worried about data remaining on the drive, don't sweat it. Unless you're storing nuclear secrets or Echelon-class data, a simple format or two will wipe it.

If you're really worried you can do what Lawrence Livermore Labs used to do to decommissioned hard drives:  300 overwrite passes,  alternating between all-zeros, all-ones, alternating zero-one,  alternating one-zero. Then they'd take them out to the green area and dump the platters into a vat  of acid.  Floppy disks went through the three-pass hammer-mill shredders...all that came out was some fine magnetic dust.  The next step was probably putting the dust into canisters and launching them into the Sun.

It seemed like a bit much to me, but it was cool to watch.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Insomniac Orik

Lmao that sounds like serious information protection overkill. I think a standard DND wipe will be more than plenty.. I do not trust the 2 or 3 pass basic formatting's of a hard drive. a simple formatted drive can so easily have the info recovered off it. A wiped drive however can also be recovered but it depends on the type of wipe you are using and if they are using...

Whats that thing called ??? it is used by data recovery centers and police labs (at least I think it is used by them) the name I think is a spectrum magnetic imager like a giant microscope used to read the single magnetic bytes of a drive? This thing can reportedly recover a DND wiped drive not sure on the Guzman??? method which I understand can take up to a week on a 40 GB HD. Data can be recovered but at what cost ? I understand it could cost anywhere from 100 to 10,000 dollars per gigabyte ?  This method is thankfully not used by Q public and hopefully not being used by identity theft organizations.

Most of the drives I get are untested and most end up in a pile, I am terribly lazy, and do hate working on computers at times, besides it's not like I make any money at this.. Well I can always start it tomorrow.

First set up 2 of those machines in a linux based CD rom run program  perhaps DBAN ? and after it runs I need a Program CD rom that I can use to start testing drives and after that maybe see what can be kept what should be tossed and if I am lucky perhaps refurbish, rebuild and donate to some charities for a tax write off next year.

I suppose i could wipe the drive then take the sledge hammer to them. but if they are still capable of passing smart  data tests and are viable to be used, why throw them out. Far better to recycle so the many people that can not afford computers can buy from or get from organizations such as Free-Geek and Reboot try to make them available to everyone... they state they wipe the drives before hand but I can not say how many times I pulled up info off drives places like that say they do...

Oh jebus look I did it again paragraphs when probably simple would of done it. Sry Natasha...

[a href="http://www.dban.org/"]I think I will try this program [/a]

Gambino

Vin paid a lot of money for dv hoping he would make it big time over the f*cking olympics which he didnt. Couldnt happen to a nicer cunt.I hope he dies from  f*cking cancer.  

|