Boeing

Started by evinRude, May 13 10 07:57

Previous topic - Next topic

evinRude

My father worked for Boeing when they actually made airplanes. We lived at Enumclaw, he flew his own airplane to work.  

P.C.

Hi evinrude

That sounds awesome.  It's one way to beat the traffic.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I've always thought it would have been neat to go to work in your own boat.
Have the office tower next the harbour with a boat parking dock. It could be feasible in island settings.
Or just take that Granville island ferry. I wouldn't count seabus because in my ideal situation the boat has to be open air.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

DDD

Sportsdude wrote:
I've always thought it would have been neat to go to work in your own boat.
Have the office tower next the harbour with a boat parking dock. It could be feasible in island settings.
Or just take that Granville island ferry. I wouldn't count seabus because in my ideal situation the boat has to be open air.

I would love to work on a tugboat
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Sportsdude

As the skip or a worker?

For a while as being a child of the Mississippi River and being required to read Mark Twain, I had a fascination with river boats and barge work along with trains. Then one night on my favourite radio program by a guy who called himself "The Big Bumper" and was famous for coining "You can't fix stupid" haha, had a segment about 'worst jobs as a teenager' and someone called up explaining his summer job on the barges. The caller said it was the worst job one could imagine, I lost interest.

I still would want to be a train conductor, though. I feel at home whenever I hear or see a train. Although the foghorn of a boat is now also a home identifier.

I know a few people in the Canadian Coast Guard and Park Ranger service. Their job(s) would be one of my dream jobs. Man and Nature or Man with Machine is a predominant theme of mine.

Dream jobs:
-What Russ does except work in international freight or on a oil platform
-What Van Guy does
-Arctic Coast Guard (either America or Canada)
-Arctic researcher
-Train conductor
-Cross-country truck hauler
-Park Ranger/Forest Management
-Woodworker (If I had stayed at this one high school I'd of ended up a woodworker. In middle school I made a mantle clock that I kept, but my shop teacher wanted to buy it from me for 300 bucks)
-Fishing (skip) (I know a few people from Prince Rupert who grew up in the fishing business)
-Pacific Northwest small scale weekend farmer with a m-f day job
-bar tender at an english pub in Britain
-town planner in a market town in the UK (e.g. Hot Fuzz meets 4 Weddings and a Funeral)
-Civil Engineer/Architect/Planner
-urban researcher
-social worker
-writer

DDD

As the skip or a worker?

For a while as being a child of the Mississippi River and being required to read Mark Twain, I had a fascination with river boats and barge work along with trains. Then one night on my favourite radio program by a guy who called himself "The Big Bumper" and was famous for coining "You can't fix stupid" haha, had a segment about 'worst jobs as a teenager' and someone called up explaining his summer job on the barges. The caller said it was the worst job one could imagine, I lost interest.

For me I would want to drive it but also do deck hand work as I love the inland waters ...Fraser River, Pitt River....etc.......

You lived by the Mississippi River.......too cool.....I use to cut school and go to Deer Lake in Bby

[A href="http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/DeerLake01.html"]http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/DeerLake01.html[/A]

Have not been in a long time.

Now i spend my time at Pitt lake  

[A href="http://www.google.ca/images?rlz=1T4SUNA_enCA309&q=pitt+lake&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=2gHzS5_mEY2wrAe9qdSvDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDEQsAQwAw"]http://www.google.ca/images?rlz=1T4SUNA_enCA309&q=pitt+lake&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=2gHzS5_mEY2wrAe9qdSvDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDEQsAQwAw[/A]        
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Sportsdude

Deer Lake! My buddy goes there all the time and then he moved to the westside and I've had to acquaint him to the idea of beach going. lol

P.C.

I spent a lot of years on the tugs SD.  I even piloted through some narrow passages on nothing but radar in total darkness with a full tow.  It was exciting but scary, because I was alone in the wheelhouse with no back-up close by.  I love anything to do with the water, and can even enjoy just watching the ships coming and going.  I can't get too far from the water before I start to feel smothered or claustrophobic or something like that.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Oh wow. I know a guy from Nanaimo who does what you describe for the parks service. Loves it. (except he's stationed on islands by himself looking out for illegal fishers)

You know, there's something about this water theory that I think has merit. My old roommate who now lives in Winnipeg wants to get back to Vancouver asap because he grew up always near the water (ocean) and can't leave it for too long.

The one constant for me has always been water. But for me the ocean wins due to its 'mediative' qualities. Back home you're not really cognisant of the river until it gets near the top of the levee and then you witness its violent nature. The rest of the time it's just there to sneak up on you and spook you.

Also, the inlet and strait here are so calm with the huge freighters just parked outside. It feels like a pond with I sit on the beach at night.
Atlantic ocean is violent and loud
Gulf of Mexico is smooth
Pacific Ocean at Tofino is somewhere in between
and the strait and inlet remind me of the backyard pond/lake at night with toads and crickets chirping

Oceanic bodies of water aren't suppose to be that calm. lol