LAST WORD ;)

Started by DDD, Apr 14 10 02:01

Previous topic - Next topic
|

TehBorken

Quote from: Gopher on Aug 05 18 10:04
In  Phnom Penh? Wow is my last word.
Yep, we bought it and are hoping to buy one of the houses next door to it as well. We'd cut a big doorway and have a nice sized place. And that is my last word.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gopher

Will you eventually emigrate? Good luck with your elections. I'm learning Welsh.  Cofion .....last word.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

TehBorken

Quote from: Gopher on Nov 06 18 11:47Will you eventually emigrate? Good luck with your elections. I'm learning Welsh.  Cofion .....last word.
Mmmmm, maybe. I'm re-thinking the idea of moving there....this last trip was fun but also pretty wearing.

The heat and humidity were dreadful. The traffic in and around Phnom Penh has gone from "mostly okay" to "mostly awful". There are about 10 times the number of cars there used to be...the roads were never meant for this many cars and it shows. Prices for nearly everything are going up up up. Land, food, rent, clothes- all that stuff is still pretty affordable, but definitely more expensive than they used to be.

On the upside, the general infrastructure and economy have improved significantly. You can buy almost anything you want with a few exceptions. Still can't get a decent bagel here for love nor money, lol. If Amazon delivered to Cambodia, life would instantly become much better.

The availability of medical care has improved a lot but is still kinda spotty. The new developments like Diamond Island (http://www.khmer440.com/k/2017/12/the-jewel-in-the-crown-a-history-of-koh-pich-diamond-island/) (see another link here (https://www.nomadicnotes.com/diamond-island-phnom-penh/)) are super upscale and as full-featured as anything you'd find in North America. I probably couldn't afford to live there, lol. There are also loads of new malls that are the equal of anything here.

There's also construction of new buildings and infrastructure everywhere...every street has something being renovated or built new. In 10 or 20 years it'll be amazing. There's also a new airport in the works and the old airport has been fixed up quite a bit too. There are finally places you can get a decent burger (and lots of places now exist where you can get great pizza).

A lot of stuff is still "faux"...like some of the chain burger joints have menus with 50 things on them, but when you get there they only have 2 or 3 of the items available. The rest is "No have...no have...no have..."

So I don't know...I'm reconsidering, but it's still very possible that we'll move there someday.
And that's the last word on Cambodia. :)

DDD is back

LW once again

TehBorken

DDD for the win, lol  ;D

|