If I hear the word torch....

Started by P.C., Oct 30 09 09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Even if I wasn't sick of the Olympic hype before...the last day or two would have put me over the top.  38 minutes through the start of last night's news was about that blasted GD torch.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Isis

shhhhh P.C. they be watching people...they might come a silence you for being anti-torch!
If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please", then I'll say "no" because its shorter than "Yes"

P.C.

I'd have to torch their shorts.    

JJ

That's why I gave up TV the Olympics can't stand it. [img border=0 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Angry/3.gif"]

P.C.

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]shhhhh P.C. they be watching people...they might come a silence you for being anti-torch![/span]

I don't think I'm really anti-torch, or anti-olympics....I'm anti-excessive coverage.  For heaven's sake....they've been going on about it for so long, that I just want them to hush.  Get back to me when something has actually happened....not every time something is GOING to happen.    

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][/span]I don't think I'm really anti-torch, or anti-olympics....I'm anti-excessive coverage.

Bingo. Personally I think the Olympics has become a sad, stupid joke. It's nothing more than a psychotic marketing frenzy with a multi-year ramp-up time. The crap and expense and the politics have completely taken over the whole thing....it's all about the merchandise and marketing opportunities.

They have crap in there that could  in NO WAY be considered a "sport". It's horsecrap like synchronized swimming and diving where a panel of judges has to tell you who won. I say if you can't take an ordinary person off the street, have them watch the event and be able to tell you who won, then it's not a f*cking sport.

Plus, those pukebags on the Olympic committee sue anyone who dares to use the word "Olyimpic", and they're very aggressive about it. They want to prohibit photos, drawings, blogging, etc etc etc. It's just a bunch of crap now, and I wouldn't waste my time watching the Olympics if you paid me.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

You know, if the Olympics just had permanent host cities they would lose their importance, as stated in their goals of 'Olympiad' (now includes infrastructure development of a city/country).

That said, I'm still doing the volunteer thing. I think it will be interesting to see how everything works behind the scenes (i don't have high hopes though the opening ceremonies will be indoors at a dilapidated stadium that's getting renovated after the Olympics) and it will probably stand out on the resume.  Unless I could find an internship that's of something in my general field of interest (sorry David Suzuki foundation type of organizations) that would probably be more noticeable, but this is all I've got at the moment.

I haven't watched local news or national news in ages (now with CBC News going weird I don't think I ever will).
Channel 36 doesn't mention torches unless its somebody in the world torching something. I just stick to them for news on tv

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

I never understood the point of the torch.

So they have so much time to go across or around the country in question? Or cause we have a bigger country we get to do it longer? What would happen if they have it in morrocco? or in bermuda where its 20 square miles?

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

Ask Hitler he came up with it.

Originally it was to give glory to the third reich and how Hitler saw himself and his regime as the living flame of the Greeks and so on. Now its 'an inspiration to the olympic movement and all that embodies' etc.

Someone I know was on a flight with back from Toronto. Held and took a picture of it in a mocking fashion like 'oh look here'. lol

P.C.

Mr. Sawdust held the torch on Monday....so I had to put my lack of interest aside for a few moments, as he quite likes the whole Olympic pomp and ceremony....so he was a little bit excited and I was excited for him.  

P.C.

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]Ask Hitler he came up with it. [/span][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]Originally it was to give glory to the third reich and how Hitler saw himself and his regime as the living flame of the Greeks and so on. Now its 'an inspiration to the olympic movement and all that embodies' etc. [/span][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]Someone I know was on a flight with back from Toronto. Held and took a picture of it in a mocking fashion like 'oh look here'. lol[/span]

Now...was he responsible for the torch....or the torch relay....because I thought the torch was rooted deeper in history than that.

Oh....and I'm not dissing anything about their ceremonies or relays or torches....I'm not mocking anything.  I'm only against the relentless, endless, tedious coverage of the whole thing.

Sportsdude

The flame was re-introduced in Amsterdam in '28. But the 'torch' and its relay was Berlin.

Russ

P.C. wrote:
Mr. Sawdust held the torch on Monday....so I had to put my lack of interest aside for a few moments, as he quite likes the whole Olympic pomp and ceremony....so he was a little bit excited and I was excited for him. [img style="font-style: italic;" src="/forums/richedit/smileys/Happy/14.gif[/img]  

Good for him!
I know my parents are a bit of fans and were disappointed they are over here during my dads knee replacement aftermath, and not over there when it passed through.
Did he move it anywhere, or was it a hold and photo op for him?

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

JJ

On Ebay:

VANCOUVER 2010 AUTHENTIC OLYMPIC TORCH USED & CASE !!!

[A href="http://cgi.ebay.com/VANCOUVER-2010-AUTHENTIC-OLYMPIC-TORCH-USED-CASE_W0QQitemZ350272801381QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Fan_Shop?hash=item518de2ca65" target=_blank][FONT color=#005177]http://cgi.ebay.com/VANCOUVER-2010-AUTHENTIC-OLYMPIC-TORCH-USED-CASE_W0QQitemZ350272801381QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Fan_Shop?hash=item518de2ca65[/FONT][/A]

P.C.

Wow....that's quite a profit.  The were offering them to the participants for $349.

You know Russ....it's funny...he took pics of everyone else, but never thought to ask anyone to take a pic of him with it, until he got back to the office.  Silly Sawdust.