What do you do with a Pigs foot

Started by Orik, Oct 27 09 08:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you eat a Pigs foot, leg or head ?

Yes
No
I would Make A Stew or Soup
I would Throw it out as garbage
I would Give it to a dog

Orik

Now I have some ideas thanks to JJ, but I could use some more ideas what to do with left over pig heads some with and with out brains, some with and with out eyes, some with and with out teeth. some with and with out tongues, you get the idea here

Now these heads are precooked, so are the legs, most of the meat and good bits have been removed for sale so the bits that are left are bits that are to burnt or do not have enough meat left. to sell to the public, but it is to good to throw in a garbage can...

so what do i use these left over bits for,  I have no pictures at this moment though some can be arranged if you wish...

now as I was saying to JJ in a PM but have decided to turn into a topic here is my Idea what to do with the heads and legs that i get. if any one else knows of some great or better ideas would be of great help ... particularly good recipe idea's..

I do not own the implements needs to make head cheese ie meat grinder or food processor. I do own a old but still serviceable blender, if that helps with ideas

Now I can use the leg with out needing extra equipment to make use of them...I can use the meat that's left on one leg to make 2 sandwiches and the leftover skin bone & gristle can be used to make a soup stock or in making a base for a stew.

if I do not use the little meat that I get from the leg to make a couple of sandwiches, I can use it plus the  half a head as a base in making a nice pork stew....I will just have to simmer it down for a couple of hours ( not sure how many hours that should be) then refrigerate overnight to remove the congealed fat layers the next day and from the look of the head that fat layer will probably be very thick. But I think the base that's left should be great to freeze for future use in adding to a slow cooker with some cheap cuts of meats and thick cut veggies with  a bit of flour to make a good stew

What do you all think ?

now this thick flavorful pork stock will have no real need for added salts not when i have a nice thick flavored broth to work with but i will probably want some spices of other sorts. what spices would i want to use.

Any suggestions  about what spices I may wish to add to my stew base ?

i think i can find some other uses for pigs head other than head cheese the fat can be a good thing for frying potatoes and rice or other veggies in for a bit of a nice mmmm meat factor... now i can cut off that thick and crunchy skin especially the ears i understand dogs love the ears as chew toys and the nice flavor of the cheek skin make a crispy treat for humans too...

what skin and bones  i have use of left.... for that part of the leg is that the ham hocks and knee and pigs foot  part of the leg ?  I can crack the bones of the legs open for the marrow plus  i can open the skull for the brain  if they give me a whole head but most of the time the brain and tongues is removed to be sold already same with the ears. leaving just the cheeks and jaw with the teeth still in it...this will all be strained out after being simmered down . unless others have better suggestions for the use of these bits of offal... I cant have those bits in the stew i am not sure i want to eat those bits in my supper...

When you live cheap and on a restrictive budget one mans left overs and garbage is another mans dinners..

these left over legs and heads can be used to make some good dinners

what about all those chicken hearts. what could those be used in livers hearts kidneys tongue.. what many uses do they have and how do you prepare them..

brainstorming recipes and ideas more than welcome... if you just want to reply yuck thats disgusting. that's OK too. even though i did not make that a option in this poll

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

P.C.

I guess it would be too big for a key chain.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Orik

well one might be able to make a large key-chain so a lucky pigs foot for PC >:D i think i would rather stick with a lucky rabbits foor much softer and smaller... that pigs foot will make tough leather...  
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

JJ

I'd click on it to see how much karma I'd get!  

P.C.

lol....why didn't I think of that.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Orik

Bless you for that, walks off laughing

Russ

I agree.. thats a gooder JJ.

I would either leave it in the store I saw it in, or let starfishie have it.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

watches

Written 100 000 times the force of blood and magic blade St. replica watches (http://www.sanwatches.com/) 11 pages Game Zone "Battle City" on-line replica watches (http://www.watchesfan.com/) 11 pages Game Zone "Battle City" on-line replica watches (http://www.corwatches.com/) Horizontal version of the first 3D online game "dream island" Game replica watches (http://www.pocwatches.com/) Pearl Fantasy World War camp will be on-line system.X.0421

Orik

Let me guess, a spam attempt that failed..

DDD

I would not have that stuff to begin with
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Natasha

DDD wrote:
 I would not have that stuff to begin with [/DIV]
 Me either.

Orik

Helps when you work for a Chinese BBQ so I got all kinds of goodies to good for a bin but not good enough to be shipped for sale at the restaurant... sadly i no longer work here =( and no longer get the Pigs feet or the heads. Though i still have a connection to buy piglets from the meat shop at wholesale prices.. but I have not got a rotisserie large enough to cook a 25 pound piglet but if I did I would order one just to see what its like..