Mother wants me to miss two weeks of college classes to go to Israel with her

Started by angry boy, Sep 02 09 12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

angry boy

I have a mother who is planning to go to Israel next March with the reform jewish synagogue rabbi his wife and some other people. and want me to come the problem is i am going to continuing education evening classes.  I told her i am not going to miss two weeks of classes and she said i can study and do assignments  which is impossible since they are going to go out and walk up and down all over the place. she gets angry when  told her i am not going to miss two weeks of classes  what should i do?    

P.C.

If you're in college, you're probably not a boy.  Time to start making decisions for your future yourself maybe?  What do you want to do ?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

angry boy

P.C.

Then try being respectfully assertive, and tell her that you've chosen not to go, because you don't want to miss classes.    

TehBorken

angry boy wrote:
she gets angry when  told her i am not going to miss two weeks of classes  what should i do?    
This is an easy one....tell her, "No." Maybe even, "No thank you."

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

van_guy

TehBorken wrote:
This is an easy one....tell her, "No." Maybe even, "No thank you."

I learned a lesson a long time ago ... you can not live your life to make EVERYONE happy.  
You have to live to make yourself happy.
This is not to say you have to be a selfish SOB 24/7.
But you have to say Thanks mom - but I have to concentrate on school.
Maybe we can go after I graduate.

[table bgcolor="#ffffdd" border="1"][tbody][tr][td colspan="2" align="center"][small]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
    Please type the text below into this field[/small][/td][/tr]    [tr][td align="center"]    [style type="text/css"]    TD.at_r1 (vertical-align:bottom;)    [/style] [table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"][tbody][tr][td]
[/td][td rowspan="2" class="at_r1"]de[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]bol[/td][td]r[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/td][td][input name="sauce_check" value="e36a7bd8917eb0311849a1975364f1ef" type="hidden"]
[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

P.C.

I think that you refer to yourself as 'a boy' speaks volumes.  You're obviously living at home ?  Does your mom have reason to believe you're not responsible enough to remain at home without supervision ?  If so, maybe you need to address that.  

angry boy

P.C.

OK...so fill in the blanks.  Why is she angry  that you don't want to go ?  What are her concerns about you staying home ?  Have you had an adult conversation with her about it, in a mature rational manner to find out any of these things ?  

I would open up a conversation with her to find out.  You have to do it in a calm, reasonable manner. (no teenage eye-rolling etc....lol)  Listen to her and then... as calmly as you listened, you tell her your side.

Heyyy

angry boy wrote:
i was at home by myself without supervision many times

Sorry, but I call "TROLL!"

angry boy

P.C. wrote:
OK...so fill in the blanks.  Why is she angry  that you don't want to go ?  What are her concerns about you staying home ?  Have you had an adult conversation with her about it, in a mature rational manner to find out any of these things ?  

I would open up a conversation with her to find out.  You have to do it in a calm, reasonable manner. (no teenage eye-rolling etc....lol)  Listen to her and then... as calmly as you listened, you tell her your side.

I don't know why she is angry  she keeps on saying this is a one in a lifetime trip and i told her i am not going to miss 2 weeks of classes

P.C.

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]TB wrote:  Sorry, but I call "TROLL!"[/span]

I'm sure you're correct TB...but trolls need to learn how to look after themselves too.