Blogging

Started by P.C., Aug 31 09 06:19

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I'm looking for some information on blogging from anyone with experience.  

Things like:
How computer savvy do you have to be ?  Can anyone with basic computer skills do it ?

How much time do you need to invest to begin a successful blog and how much time do you need to invest daily ?

How much pre-prep time is required before you get started...gathering photos etc. ?

Can you or do you make money blogging ?

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

[span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"]How computer savvy do you have to be ?  Can anyone with basic computer skills do it ?[/span]
No computer savviness is required. Anyone with basic computer skills can blog. Basically if you can use this message board, you can blog.

[span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"]How much time do you need to invest to begin a successful blog and how much time do you need to invest daily ?[/span]
You'll want to plan on maybe an hour a day, roughly speaking, depending on how much you plan to write. Oftentimes you can get by with less, but it's a long-term effort. Most people start a blog, and it's fun for the first few days. Then it becomes a task, and eventually a chore, and then they stop. It's hard to keep at it for months or years.  

[span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"]How much pre-prep time is required before you get started...gathering photos etc. ?[/span]
This all depends on what you plan to write about. Sometime no prep is required, you just start writing. Sometimes you'll want to find sources and images to use, sometimes not.

[span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"]Can you or do you make money blogging ?[/span]
It's possible to make money blogging, but it's difficult. Don't let anyone tell you it's easy, because it's not. You'll need to attract an audience of followers who like what you write and who'll want to come back for more again and again. I'd guess 1 out of 100 make *any* money blogging, and it's not usually significant money- maybe a few dollars here and there.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

purelife

I agree with Teh Borken's answers.  

I'm not sure which blog site you're planning to use, but google's blogspot is the one I like.  I know that it's going to take a long time to make any money but one of the things I have learned is that your blog will show up on google searches if you want.  You can choose to make your blog private, semi-private (password-protected for selected few) or completely open to the public.

Someone who can type and follow/read instructions on the webpage can blog.

P.C.

Thanks TehBorken and Miss purelife.  No plans yet...just thinking about it.  
I always thought that blogging was a little weird...but have found myself checking out a few specific ones, on a regular basis because they're quite interesting.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.