Have You Made Your Will?

Started by Gopher, Aug 29 09 11:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Just curios.  If you have, how did you find the experience?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

We are in the process of trying to learn about this stuff, Gophie.   We bought the kit thinking it would be easier than dealing with someone who doesn't know us, or what we have or what we want to do with what we have.  I'm not sure this was a good idea.   I thought it would be a simple process, but it's SO complicated.  Well...to me anyways.  

Also, after reading about the laws surrounding enforcing a legal will, I'm not sure it makes much difference to have one.  Seems a judge can override your decisions, after you're dead and can't even argue his ruling, so what's the point.  Of all the stupid things our judicial system is made up of, this is one of the stupidest. They make such a fuss about making sure you have a legally binding will, then proceed to do what they want with your stuff.  As Lil Me would say....harumph !!!
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

van_guy

Gopher wrote:
Just curios.  If you have, how did you find the experience?

Gophie yeah we had a will done when Heckyl was a baby.  We went to a lawyer and had it done for us.  It was an odd experience but quite pleasant really.  Well ... it's like flossing your teeth it's not a lot of fun but when you are finished you know you've done the right thing.  The questions they ask are rather intrigueing.  If you and LM are both seriously injured Mr LM dies and LM lives but is a comma, if there is an unborn child ...

Anyway once you are done - you've sorta covered all the bases except alien abductions and sasquatches killing one but not both ...

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Gopher

I did mine a few years ago, but now feel that I should update it. One of the worst things about it for me was that I found myself having to divide up my money between a dozen or so friends and then started to wonder who was deserving of what amount...it wasklike ranking them in order of closeness; something that really stuck in my craw.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

JJ

[P style="lineh-eight: normal; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal][SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-CA"]I have a simple will that is old it needs to be updated mostly because I wish to change the executor, but if something happened my present will would work just fine.[SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"]  [/SPAN]It wills I believe that simpler is better.[?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN]

van_guy

Gopher wrote:
I did mine a few years ago, but now feel that I should update it. One of the worst things about it for me was that I found myself having to divide up my money between a dozen or so friends and then started to wonder who was deserving of what amount...it wasklike ranking them in order of closeness; something that really stuck in my craw.

yeah that is a little weird isn't it.
As we have minor childeren - all assests go to their education and supportng them until they are adults.
Don't remember details after that ... honestly don't care that much.  
As long as my kids are taken care of - and they get all the education that they want ...
I really don't care if aunty x get $10k or cousin y gets $15k, I'm dead.

[table bgcolor="#ffffdd" border="1"][tbody][tr][td colspan="2" align="center"][small]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
    Please type the text below into this field[/small][/td][/tr]    [tr][td align="center"]    [style type="text/css"]    TD.at_r1 (vertical-align:bottom;)    [/style] [table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"][tbody][tr][td]
[/td][td rowspan="2" class="at_r1"]pe[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]dip[/td][td]d[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/td][td][input name="sauce_check" value="9bbe9dfd2253a97a6d87f92243c7e36e" type="hidden"][input name="sauce" size="10" type="text"][/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]

Russ

No but I should cause of the way the house is right now.

I agree with VG though.. Im dead, what do I care what auntie or uncle gets what. At least like he says the major and important stuff is taken care of.
I think the way Im going to do it is that Starfishie gets everything but my brother gets the trucks and all the tools.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

van_guy

Russ wrote:
No but I should cause of the way the house is right now.

I agree with VG though.. Im dead, what do I care what auntie or uncle gets what. At least like he says the major and important stuff is taken care of.
I think the way Im going to do it is that Starfishie gets everything but my brother gets the trucks and all the tools.

Russ,  Yeah I'd really recomend it.  Not that any of us think about dying on a regular basis - but if you should find yourself in the grill of a mac truck one day ... it really is good if you have gone through a little pain and figured it all out and have it written down in legaleese.  It's pretty shocking what CAN happen if you don't have a will.  I know LM's grandmother was really pretty screwed for a bit because her grandfather did not have a will and the ownership of the family house was in question ... there is still some bittterness 30 years after his death,

BTW good call on the trucks and tools.