Susan Boyle

Started by Lise, Jun 04 09 12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Tough luck for this chick. Kinda sad to see her rise to the top only to be made a mockery then fall down gracelessly. The media can be so harsh......
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Gopher

It's a judgement on us all.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

Well that's the problem with these celeb-realities. We in essence created a monster, and the monster eats its victims.

These reality tv stars don't know how to handle the pressure, the light, because they're doing it to seek the fame.
For example, do you ever hear about Johnny Depp, Robert Redford, Daniel Craig etc? Yeah, when they have a movie out, but every day? Not really.

I think there's
seekers (only way they stay relevant be in the tabloids) (Britney, Paris, Lindsay, *insert reality tv star of the week*)
people who don't promote themselves every week, these are usually the 'class acts'  (Kate Winslet, Liam Neeson etc)
and then there's the people who disappear off the radar completely and then come back every 4yrs (Daniel Day Lewis) haha

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I think she was truly special.  

I don't think the bulk of the problem lies with a person's inability to handle 'stardom'....although I agree....it's a big obstacle.  The problem is with people who have nothing better to do than find ways to chip away at someone who has achieved any form of recognition.  It's some kind of warped jealousy at play.  It's really so sad.  All she wanted to do was sing....and she did it well.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I think its handling stardom. You're life changes, but you still keep the same values or ways of living, but you can't. Basically I'm arguing Durkheim about sudden prosperity and being prone to suicide. They no longer fit within their known world or norm, and their new norms, in their new position (here fame) they are not accustom to as its not a norm.

Has anyone who won the jackpot stayed the same? I can think of a couple cases where their life just became madness. TV Celebrities from reality tv shows always have their lives blown up (Jon and Kate, Jane Goodie, any American Idol winner).

culture shock.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."