Just for Amusement.

Started by P.C., May 20 09 07:29

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

[SPAN class=article_headline]THE FLIP SIDE: I use restraint to deter avalanche of copycats[/SPAN]
 [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top width="50%"][SPAN class=article_credit]Ian Gillespie
London Free Press [/SPAN]
 [/TD] [TD vAlign=top align=right width="50%"][SPAN class=article_detail]April 11, 2009[/SPAN]  [/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE] [SPAN class=article_lead]Right away, I think it's prudent to state that I (and not just I, but also me and myself) do not recommend, condone, approve or sanction anything that might cause an avalanche.  [/SPAN] [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=100 align=right border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD align=right][!-- IMAGE: gillespie_ian.jpg --][img height=156 alt="" src="http://www.lfpress.ca/photos/gillespie_ian.jpg" width=100 border=0] [BR clear=all][SPAN class=article_caption]Ian Gillespie[/SPAN]

[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][SPAN class=article_body]I am, in fact, fundamentally opposed to avalanches.

Indeed, if you're circulating a petition that seeks to ban avalanches, I'll sign it. (And unlike most petitions thrust under my nose, I'll sign my real name and not some made-up name like Harry Rump, Matt Tress, Neil Downe or Sheila Blige.)

I state this because earlier this week, news outlets across the country were showing the video of a snowmobiler setting off an avalanche in B.C.

For those of you who haven't seen it, I'll describe the video: A little black dot (the alleged idiot) moves across a big area of white, then the camera goes all jittery, the black dot disappears and a bunch of white stuff (the alleged avalanche) starts sliding downward very, very fast.

(Note: Although the video sounds sensational, it isn't. Unfortunately, the camera was too far away to show the face of the alleged idiot just as he realizes that (a) he has set off an avalanche, (b) he probably needn't worry anymore about his investments and (c) it's a good thing he's wearing dark brown pants.)

Many of the media outlets that distributed this video said officials were worried it might prompt other idiots to do the same thing.

In a word, they were afraid of copycats.

I completely understand, because not a day goes by when I don't (a) think about starting an avalanche or (b) pause and ponder the potential negative consequences of something I'm writing.

For example, let's say I offhandedly mention in a column that I brush my teeth with a side-to-side motion -- and not the recommended up-and-down stroke.

The next thing you know, thousands of heretofore responsible Canadians start brushing sideways. Then in five years, teeth start falling out and we have a national crisis bigger than Don Cherry's collar.

This is precisely why journalists have to be careful about encouraging copycats.

Just last week, for instance, I wanted to write a column about an eccentric local man who trims his toenails by discharging a hunting rifle at them.

This story had everything: A likeable character, an interesting angle, a handsome set of cuticles and a loud, potentially dangerous weapon.

But I didn't write it. Why? Because believe it or not, some copycat out there would've thought: "That's a good idea. Where's my shotgun?" And the next thing you know, some fool is standing (or maybe leaning) in the front lobby, loudly demanding that I reimburse him for the loss of his polka-dancing career.

And in today's litigious climate, it wouldn't matter that he'd carelessly overlooked the common-sense warnings in my column, including (a) don't try this unless you're a fairly decent shot, and (b) use a small-calibre rifle, not a shotgun.

But that's the problem with copycats: They don't listen to the experts and then they ruin it for everyone else.[/SPAN]

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I've been using Bob Newhart for everything since the late 90s. Fits my personality and kids these days have no idea who he is.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."